With the coronavirus keeping you in doors, chances are you haven’t been working out the way you want to — at gyms, at yoga studio or at your spin class. Everything is closed but it doesn’t mean that you can’t be open to adding some home items that will help you stay on top of your goals. Whether it’s eating right or doing your daily workouts, there is plenty of home gym equipment and other items you can buy to help you stay on top of your health. We’ve put together a small guide that will help you in your quest for normalcy during these difficult times.
What to Consider When Buying
When buying new equipment, it’s important to consider the size of your room. Because you’re stuck at home for a prolonged period of time, you have to live in your space a little more than you used to. Now is not the time to inherit too much clutter so do well to measure your spaces before you buy large home equipment items such as treadmills and exercise bikes. For smaller items such as kettlebells and weights, try to reserve a small area where you can safely store them. You never know when an emergency can take place so it’s important to account for these things.
Top Home Equipment Items to Buy
There are a number of different home equipment items you can buy. Depending on your needs, look carefully at the following options to determine what would be best for you and your space.
1. Editor's Pick: Yoleo Adjustable Weight Bench
- 7 Backrest Pad Positions
- Ideal for Chest, Back, Shoulders and Ab Workouts
- 330 lbs. capacity
The Yoleo Adjustable Weight Bench is a hot item right now because of its versatility. It allows you to do a variety of workouts with the equipment you already have (dumbells or kettlebells). Not only can it help to complete your new home gym but it can also meet your different exercise needs. You can easily adjust the backrest in seven different positions. If you live in a condo and don’t have a ton of space to work with, you can use the storable feature to fold it and store it away until you’re ready to use it again. Do your best to start slowly with it and gradually increase your workout as time goes by.
2. 3-Level Adjustable Aerobic Stepper
- 3-Height Level
- Good for Cardiovascular, Aerobics and Strength Training
- Shock-Absorbing Device
This is another great fitness accessory to enhance your workout routine. It has four risers that allow you to adjust the bench stepper, allowing you to do step-ups and other muscle toning workouts. The surface of the board is non-slip, and each riser has two integrated anti-slip pads for maximum security. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user, this exercise stepper will quickly become your best training companion. It can be beneficial for your abs, pecs, traps, dorsal muscles, deltoids, biceps, triceps and forearms.
3. Synergee Core Sliders
- 7” in Diameter
- Core Muscle Workout
- Comes with 5 Different Exercises
The Synergee Core Sliders are a great way to maximize your core workouts. Allowing you 7” in diameter circles to position your feet in a planking position, you can do a lot with these sliders. They are light and compact; your hands and feet never leave the floor, creating a low impact, yet highly effective workout. You can intensify your favorite exercises including lunges, planks and bridges by introducing a balance challenge. You can also do mountain climbers and pikes as well.
4. AmazonBasics Exercise Training Puzzle Mat
- Dimensions: 24" x 24" x 1/2"
- High-Density EVA Foam
- One-Year Warranty
If you have a lot of small home equipment, you can protect your floors and create some traction under your feet with puzzle mats from AmazonBasics. The set comes with six pieces that total 24 sq. ft. with each tile. The puzzle-style exercise mat makes a great choice for any garage, basement, fitness room, or gym. It can also be used in a kid’s play area, making all that rough. The puzzle exercise mat features dense, high-quality EVA foam (with zero toxic phthalates) to ensure long-lasting, reliable performance. The durable foam mat offers an optimal amount of cushioning thickness, which means less pressure on knees, wrists, elbows, and back for greater comfort when doing jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, yoga poses, stretches, and other floor exercises.
5. AmazonBasics Medicine Ball
- 12-Pound Ball
- Ideal for Classic Medicine Ball Workouts
- Develops Core Strength, Balance and Coordination
This is a staple of any home gym — the medicine ball. Not only do they allow you to strengthen your core, but it also allows you to have better balance and coordination. You can do a variety of upper-and lower-body workouts including twists, arm raises, squats and lunges. It has a textured finish to give you good grip strength giving you better control to improved performance during workouts.
6. NordicTrack Commercial 2950 Treadmill
- Large running surface (22″ x 60″)
- 4.25 CHP DurX motor
- Power incline and decline (-3% to +15%)
- Large 22″ HD touchscreen with 40 built-in workout programs
- Overall dimensions: Width: 32.98"; height: 66.66"; depth: 79.5"
- Folded dimensions: Width: 3.98"; height: 70.7"; depth: 41.9"
- Weight: 300lbs.
This is a slightly more expensive version of the Commercial 1750 but it sure packs a punch. It delivers a larger HD touchscreen at 22” and has 40-built in workout programs tailored to increasing your endurance and enhancing your strength. With a more powerful model than the 1750, the Commercial 2950 is built to support diverse treadmill workout goals like managing weight, toning your body, building speed and endurance, and improving cardiovascular health. What’s great about this model is that it has a built-in workout fan to keep you cool during your routine. You can automatically adjust it to match your workout intensity, or you can set the fan speed manually. Other amenities include an integrated tray below the console for your water bottle or phone. You can get a 2-year warranty for parts and electronics as well as the motor. It does come with a lot of nonessential features so you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg for the 2950 but if you’re looking for convenience and special options, it’s an excellent machine for home gym enthusiasts.
7. Day 1 Fitness Kettlebell Weights
- Vinyl coating for floor and equipment protection
- Sanded, seam-free grip
Giving you the freedom to exercise at home, Day 1 Fitness Kettlebell Weights are a good place to start when you’re looking for body weights. With a vinyl coating that protects your flooring, you don’t have to worry about the iron scratching or marking your floors. What’s common with most kettlebells is that the weight isn’t always distributed evenly however just remember that your body will naturally counterbalance the swinging motion and stabilize your core during workouts. This product is available in size of 5-50 lbs.
8. BalanceFrom GoFit Fully Adjustable Ankle Weights
- Neoprene exterior
- Moisture-absorbing material
- Velcro padding
Allowing you to strengthen your legs and increase your fat burn, you can walk or run with these ankle weights during your cardio workouts. You can get a pair of 1lbs ankle weights and this model can also go on your arms or your wrists. The weights are made of neoprene exterior and reinforced stitching, offering you a moisture-absorbing material inside so you won’t sweat too much during exercises.
9. RUNFast/Max Adjustable Weighted Vest
- Removable weights
- One-size fits all
- Shoulder-pad options
When you’re looking for that extra boost during a workout, the RUNFast/Max Adjustable Weighted Vest allows you to add some resistance to your routines and helps you to get twice the results in half the time. Depending on the workout, you can adjust the weight in the vest by removing or adding them back in as needed. This weighted vest is great for cardio, plyometric and stationary workouts.
10. Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
- Multi-position over head chin-up/pull-up grip bars
- 12-position adjustable and removable bench
- Squat rack with chrome lock on safety bars
Available with just the power cage as well, this squat rack can help you keep your lower body toned. If you have the space to incorporate this machine in your home (dimensions: 128.3 x 212.1 x 118.1 cm), it’s definitely going to help you achieve your fitness goals. It also comes equipped with standard body weights and there are 19 different adjustable height levels. If you’re looking to do squats, pull ups and bench press workouts, this is a great machine to help you along the way.
Tip and Tricks for Proper Strength and Conditioning
Strength and conditioning training will test your body, especially if you’re just starting out. Using heavier weights over time or increasing resistance can make your muscles stronger, allowing you to see the results. There are a few important things to remember when you’re using kettlebells or other body weights during your resistance training sessions.
- Make sure that you’re warming up and cooling down for at least five minutes before each and every workout. It’s important to get a good stretch in before you start lifting heavier weights. You can also walk and jog lightly in place to get a good sweat. Not loosening your muscles before you work out can lead to injury if you’re not careful or you overdo it.
- Technique, technique, technique. It’s important to consider your form when lifting, not just how much weight you’re lifting. Improper form can also lead to injury so it’s critical that you align your body and move smoothly through your exercises. Many professionals suggest practicing your form before starting a new workout. In any case, it’s important to consider slow, smooth reps before you ramp it up.
- It’s important to pace yourself while you’re doing your reps. Whether you’re using a kettlebell, a dumbbell or any other equipment at home or at the gym, it’s important to pace yourself. Establishing a slow count when you’re lifting and lowering weights is the best way to control your pace. You can also do a variety of breathing exercises to help you control your timing.
- That leads us into the next point — breathing. It’s perhaps on the most important aspects of working out. Exhale as you work against resistance by lifting, pushing, running or pulling; inhale as you release. Not breathing properly or controlling your breathing will only hinder your workouts and slow your growth so remember this! It’s super necessary.
- Remember to continue increasing the amount that you’re lifting over the course of your workout. While you want to make sure you’ve got your form and breathing down, it’s also important to challenge your muscles and get the most out of your workouts. When it feels too easy to complete your reps, try increasing the weight gradually. Similarly, if it feels harder than it should, try less weight and increase your reps instead.
- Once you have a good routine, stick with it. There’s nothing worse than trying to reinvent the wheel when you’re rolling along with ease. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That said, there’s nothing wrong with adding in an exercise but remember that true gains are seen through patience and consistency.
- Get your rest and take breaks! This is just as important as all the other points. You need to give you muscles time to rest and recuperate to avoid tears in muscle tissue and other injuries. Getting 1-3 days of rest each week will help you out in the long run and keep you on the right path.
Start Shopping Today!
Beat the coronavirus (AT HOME!) and stay on your game with home gym equipment. There are a variety of different tools, equipment, exercises and workouts you can try to keep some kind of normalcy in your life. When it comes to your fitness routine and health, it's important to keep them top of mind at this time. Check out our sidebar and products above to learn more about your options and start shopping for equipment today!
RedFlagDeals.com is reader-supported. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other similar affiliate advertising programs. These programs are designed to provide a way for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to them. This means that RedFlagDeals.com will sometimes get a small commission if you make a purchase through our links.