P&G is voluntarily recalling select Pantene, Herbal Essences, Secret and Old Spice Products in Canada due to the presence of benzene.
Benzene is a chemical compound classified as a human carcinogen -- a substance that has the potential to cause cancer depending on the level and extent of exposure. Exposure to benzene can occur by inhalation, orally and through the skin.
P&G has stated that daily exposure to the level of benzene detected in select products would not be expected to cause adverse health consequences, but they are conducting this recall out of an abundance of caution.
Which Products are Included in the Recall?
P&G has listed a selection of spray hair care products from Pantene and Herbal Essences, as well as Secret and Old Spice aerosol spray antiperspirants. We've listed the recalled products for you below.
- Pantene Dry Shampoo Aerosol Spray, 140g (UPC: 080878177073)
- Pantene Smooth Talker Dry Conditioning Oil Aerosol Spray, 112g (UPC: 080878192427)
- Pantene Never Tell Dry Shampoo Aerosol Spray, 120g (UPC: 080878191345)
- Pantene Mist Behaving Dry Conditioner Mist Aerosol Spray, 112g (UPC: 080878189199)
- Herbal Essences White Strawberry & Sweet Mint Dry Shampoo, 4.9oz. (UPC: 190679000255)
- Herbal Essences White Grapefruit & Mint Dry Shampoo, 4.9oz. (UPC: 190679000262)
- Herbal Essences Blue Ginger Refresh Dry Shampoo, 4.9oz. (UPC: 190679001498)
- Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Dry Shampoo, 4.9oz. (UPC: 190679000248)
- Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Dry Shampoo, 1.7oz. (UPC: 190679000330)
- Old Spice Sweat Defense Pure Sport Plus Dry Spray Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 037000728870)
- Old Spice Sweat Defense Stronger Swagger Dry Spray Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 037000728863)
- Old Spice Sweat Defense Ultimate Captain Dry Spray Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 012044029053)
- Secret Baby Powder Antiperspirant/Deodorant Spray 122g (UPC: 056100008965)
- Secret Outlast Completely Clean Dry Spray Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 037000747765)
- Secret Outlast Protecting Powder Dry Spray Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 037000747826)
- Secret Dry Spray Lavender Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 037000729587)
- Secret Dry Spray Waterlily Antiperspirant/Deodorant 107g (UPC: 037000729600)
You can also click the above links to see specific production code ranges that are included in this recall.
This recall also covers products sold in the United States from Aussie, Hair Food, and Waterless. You can visit their pages to find more information on who to contact if you're in Canada and own U.S. product covered in the recall.
What to do if you Have Recalled Products
If you currently have any of these products in your home, you are advised to stop using them and appropriately discard them.
You can also claim reimbursement from P&G on their product recall pages:
- Click here for Pantene product reimbursement
- Click here for Herbal Essences product reimbursement
- Click here for Old Spice product reimbursement
- Click here for Secret product reimbursement
You are able to claim reimbursement for 1 product per brand (as of March 31) and no receipt or proof of purchase is required. You will have to enter your name, address, email, and phone number in order to submit your request. You'll then receive reimbursement in the mail in 4 to 6 weeks.
So far, P&G has not reported any adverse reactions related to this recall, however if you experience an adverse reaction or any problems, you're advised to report it to Health Canada online or via regular mail.
Editor's note: As of March 31, all 4 P&G brands included in the Canadian recall seem to only be allowing 1 reimbursement request per brand. Prior to this, Canadians were able to claim reimbursement for up to 3 items per brand.