When you want to take your strength training routine to the next level, you might consider creating a workout space at home where you can do some powerlifting. But what do you need to make this space work for you, and how can you be sure you’ll be able to reap the benefits that come with powerlifting? To help you get started, we’ve compiled a short guide that covers some of the essentials that you should buy when setting up your own little gym right at home.
The first piece of equipment you’ll need when building a powerlifting gym at home is a power rack or a squat stand.
A full power rack will be able to hold extreme amounts of weight, it can be customized to suit your preferences, and it should also have some safety features to help ensure you don’t hurt yourself when you don’t have a spotter.
If you don’t have the space for a power rack, or you don’t have a lot of money to spend, a squat stand may be the better option. It will hold your barbell at whatever height you need so you can get yourself into the correct position for lifting.
Here are some options to consider:
- SML-1 Rogue 70” Monster Lite Squat Stand
- Rogue ES-1 Echo Squat Stand 2.0
- Rogue RE-4 Echo Rack
- Monster Lite RML-690C 3.0
When powerlifting, you’ll want to have bumper plates that you’ll be able to drop onto the ground without worrying about them hurting you or damaging your floors or equipment. These plates come in a wide range of weights, they feature dense rubber and a metal core, and they can easily be loaded onto your barbell.
When shopping for bumper plates, check the durometer rating, which is a measure of how hard the plate is. A bumper plate with a higher durometer rating will be harder and will also bounce less once it’s dropped on the ground.
Here are some options to consider:
- Sunny Health & Fitness Olympic Bumper Weights
- Rogue Bumper Plates by Hi-Temp
- Rogue Dumbbell Bumpers
- Rogue LB Competition Plates
Lifting straps can be a good accessory to have on hand, regardless of your level of fitness, as they could help you take things to the next level when you’re ready. Basically, they can be useful when increasing the amount of weight you’re lifting, especially if your grip isn’t as strong as it needs to be. And because these straps can make lifting heavier weights a little easier, they might be beneficial if you want to overcome a plateau.
If you’re interested in giving lifting straps a try, consider the following options:
- Gym Maniac GM Lifting Straps
- Proiron Weightlifting Straps
- Harbinger Big Grip No-Slip Pro Lifting Strap
- Hustle Athletics Wrist Straps
Like all other types of exercise, when you’re powerlifting to build strength, using the right accessories can help you meet your goals.
Here are two types of powerlifting gear that we recommend checking out:
- Fat Gripz Extreme - You can use this product to train your forearms and hands so you can improve your grip. Just slip this wrap onto your bar to increase its diameter by 3 inches.
- Rogue 5/8” Chain Kits – When you want to add extra resistance to basic lifts, consider using these chains. You can even throw them across your shoulders when doing exercises like pull-ups and dips, as doing so will add more weight that you can use when you’re working on increasing your power.
Putting Together a Powerlifting Gym at Home Is Easier Than You Think
As long as you have the right amount of space available in your house or garage, you can start powerlifting at home surprisingly easily.
You’ll need to invest in the right type of equipment and gear, so just be prepared to do some research into the products that are best for your needs, that suit your budget, and will allow you to begin at your current fitness level so you can work on improving without overdoing it.
We hope the guide above has helped shed some light on what you need to set up a powerlifting workout area, whether you want to have a home gym that you can use whenever you wish, you want to ditch the expensive gym membership and save some money, or you just want to supplement your time at the gym with extra workouts at home.