Feeling sore after a workout is no fun at all. Thankfully, there are products you can use right at home to ease the discomfort until your muscles fully recover.
What are some of the best ways to relieve sore muscles? Below is a list of our top recommendations when it comes to must-have post-workout products.
Use Foam Rollers to Reduce Tightness in the Muscles
Foam rolling can be done before you exercise in order to prepare your muscles, after a workout during your cool-down, and in between workout sessions to help with recovery. It’s basically a form of self-massage that helps you get deep into the muscles to promote flexibility and range of motion, while relieving tightness and soreness.
It might take a bit of practice to figure out how to use a foam roller on various muscles, but once you get the hang of things, you’ll likely want to keep doing it, especially if you discover that your muscles recover more quickly when you foam roll.There are a lot of foam rollers available today, but here are a few that we think you should check out when you’re ready to add this to your post-workout routine:
- TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller
- Doeplex Muscle Roller Massage Stick
- AmazonBasics High Density Round Foam Roller
- RumbleRoller Textured Muscle Foam Roller
- Hyperice Vyper 2.0 Vibrating Fitness Roller
- Brazyn Morph Bravo Foam Roller
- 321 STRONG Foam Roller
Try Percussive Therapy to Reduce Soreness
By now, you might’ve heard about percussive therapy, as more and more people are giving it a try when they want to get rid of tension in their muscles. But if you thought you needed to visit a physical therapist to take advantage of it, think again. You can now purchase products that will allow you to get the same benefits right at home.
Put simply, with percussive therapy, you use a “gun” to rapidly massage and stimulate a muscle. It’s similar to foam rolling, so it can be used when you want to help your muscles recover more efficiently. But you can also take advantage of it if your muscles are tense for other reasons, such as from sitting at a desk for extended periods of time.
The Theragun G3PRO is one of the most popular percussive massagers, but there are other brands and models that you can look into as well, such as the following:
- Theragun G3
- Theragun Liv
- Hyperice Hypervolt Plus
- ExoGun DreamPro
- TimTam All New Power Massager
- TimTam Power Massager Pro
- Wahl Deep Tissue Percussion Therapeutic Massager
- Sportneer Percussive Massage Gun
- Achedaway Vibration and Percussion Massager
Other Ways to Help Boost Recovery Between Workouts
Here are a few other strategies that you can try in an effort to recover more quickly between workouts:
- Rather than take a rest day during which you don’t do anything at all, take some time to stretch your muscles, but hold each stretch for a little longer than usual, such as for 45 seconds. Even some light movement, such as a short walk, might help you speed up recovery time.
- Taking a bath with Epsom salt isn’t only relaxing, it might also help your sore muscles feel better by reducing swelling. So, instead of taking a shower, soak your body in a warm bath to see if it makes you feel better sooner.
- Applying ice to your muscles after a workout can help reduce inflammation, and that might lessen the amount of soreness that you end up experiencing. You can stick with ice alone, or you can alternate between ice and heat.
- Applying heat to a muscle after a workout can help relax it and boost blood flow, allowing more nutrients and oxygen to access the area for healing. Just keep in mind that, even though using heat therapy might reduce soreness, it usually isn’t a good idea to use heat if you have an injury.
Give Your Muscles What They Need to Heal More Swiftly
Recovery takes time after a challenging workout, and giving your body enough time to heal is important. The good news is that, with the right products and techniques, you can relieve a good amount of the soreness that you feel, and your muscles can repair themselves more efficiently. Consider adding the strategies above to your workout routine so you can reap the benefits of products that support muscle recovery, and so you can dive into the next tough workout even sooner. You can also check these guides for additional tips and tricks.