Televisions are one of the most sought-after products during the holiday shopping season and Black Friday has become the quintessential shopping event to purchase a TV in Canada.
The Black Friday TV market can be daunting and nearly every Canadian retailer will be discounting televisions this month, from big-box stores like Best Buy to smaller retailers like Teletime to unexpected shops like No Frills and many more.
Here are a few approximate deal prices to look for when TV shopping during Black Friday 2022 – the prices we've listed reflect the lowest prices seen on various screen sizes this year.
30-40" – $150.00
- Smaller TVs under 40" are becoming less popular than larger sizes due to their limited features and decreasing availability. The vast majority of TVs under 40" will top out at 1080p resolution and can be found for under $150.00 during Black Friday, while 720p TVs can often be found for as low as $130.00.
40-50" – $250.00
- 40-50" TVs are an ideal size for smaller spaces and many 40-50" TVs will incorporate modern features not found in smaller sizes like 4K resolution. Most 40-50" 4K TVs are often discounted to around $300.00, but there have been examples of prices dropping under $250.00, most notably the Amazon 43" 4-Series 4K Fire TV for $239.00 during Prime Day.
50-60" – $300.00
- 50-60" TVs are widely considered the sweet spot for large TVs that aren't too gigantic, with 55" being the most widely-available screen size on the market. Most mid-range 50-60" TVs start at $500.00, but prices have dipped to as low as $330.00 – two of this year's more notable deals both came from TCL, where their 50" and 55" 4-Series Google TVs were priced at $332.71 and $376.00, respectively.
60-70" – $500.00
- 60-70" TVs have become more affordable than ever over the past two years, with 65" sizes slowly gaining popularity as prices decrease over time. While most 60-70" TVs start at $1000.00, some models have been discounted heavily over the past year, including the Amazon 65" Omni Series 4K Fire TV for $629.99 in May, along with a Philips 65" 4K Google TV on sale now for $498.00 for Black Friday.
70" and larger – $650.00
- 70-100" TVs have become more prevalent in Canada in the past year, but TVs in this range usually start at several thousand dollars and not everyone has sufficient space to mount a giant TV. However, there are some bargains to be found, as Walmart's house-brand onn 75" 4K HDR Roku TV is on sale now for $648.00 for Black Friday and marks one of the only instances of a 75" TV being priced below $700.00 this year.
NOTE: these estimates only reflect the best TV deals by price, as other features like brand, display type, smart integration, release date and ports are not weighted as heavily and can increase pricing significantly.
For instance, Sony's 55" X90K 4K HDR Google TV is on sale for $1199.99 during Black Friday and considered an excellent deal for a premium TV – while the price is 3x our $300.00 evaluation for 55" TVs, the Sony X90K Series includes a multitude of high-end features that most inexpensive and mid-range TVs do not have.
If you plan on hunting for a TV during Black Friday, visit our Black Friday 2022 TV Deals thread before you shop for more insight, advice and suggestions.