The back-to-school season is here again, which means it’s time to go shopping. And if you’re heading off to college, it’s time to buy more than just school supplies, as you’ll also need to purchase everything necessary to make your dorm room an organized, comfortable, and welcoming space.
Check out our list of back-to-school dorm room essentials below to get started. With the right products, you’ll be able to make your dorm room feel just like your cozy bedroom at home, while still being a unique expression of your personal style.
Mattress Toppers Make Any Bed Feel Supportive and Comfortable
When you walk into your dorm room, you might be surprised and disappointed to find a mattress that’s in less than stellar shape. Thankfully, there’s a simple solution to this problem: mattress toppers. These products can make even the most worn-out mattress feel like new, and the right topper can also create a hygienic barrier between you and the used mattress.
There’s a range of mattress topper materials available. You can choose from those that will make your bed feel firm and those that will make it softer. You can even find toppers that provide cooling comfort throughout the night so you can sleep better.
Popular options include memory foam and latex toppers, and you can even find toppers made of organic materials.
Here are a few recommendations:
Get a Great Night’s Sleep with the Right Pillow
In the same way that a mattress can affect the quality of your sleep, a high-quality pillow can also help ensure you get enough rest so you can get to class on time and stay focused even through the longest lectures.
- If you want a pillow that will provide comfort no matter what position you end up sleeping in, check out the Purple Pillow, which is also effective at reducing pressure points.
- The Adjustable Layla Pillow is a fabulous choice if you need a pillow that will provide plenty of support for your neck, and if you want one that will help you stay cool while you sleep.
- Check out the SlumberCloud Cirrus Medium Pillow or the Sleep Restoration Gel-Fiber Filled Pillow if you want a pillow that will help you stay cool throughout the night.
Hang Blackout Curtains to Keep Unwanted Light Out
You’ll have a fluctuating schedule at college, with late nights studying or spending time with friends, so you might have mornings during which you’ll want to sleep in, and you wouldn’t want the sunlight streaming in and disturbing your sleep.
This is where blackout curtains can come in handy. Because they feature a thicker material, they can prevent light from coming into your dorm room, and they may even be able to help keep the cold out too.
- Sun Zero blackout curtains are really popular because they can block out 99% of light, and they can even help with reducing noise. Plus, they come in a range of colors to suit your style.
- Speaking of colours, blackout curtains can be found in just about every color you would need to spruce up your dorm room, from green and grey, to gold and turquoise. And you can find curtains that feature fun patterns and prints, so you can really customize your dorm room easily.
Bed Comforters and Sheet Sets to Bring It All Together
The focal point of your dorm room will be your bed, so why not make it look neat and stylish? With the right comforter and sheets, you can do just that.
- Organic sheets are popular amongst eco-conscious college students, and they might be a good option if you have allergies. These come in a variety of materials, such as cotton, linen, and hemp, that can keep you comfortable all night long.
- My Casper Sheets are a luxurious product that can help you stay cool while you sleep. Made of cotton, they’re also durable, so you can rest assured they’ll last all year.
- Linenspa Cotton Blend Sheets are another ideal choice for busy college students. These 100% cotton sheets aren’t only comfortable; they’re also wrinkle-resistant. Plus, they’re affordable, so you don’t have to sacrifice quality even if you’re on a budget.
Make Your Dorm Your Own
Walking into a plain dorm room for the first time is your opportunity to make it your own. But, beyond decorating it in your style, also consider the essentials, like a high-quality mattress topper, pillows, and curtains, that will help you get the sleep that you need to function at your best throughout the school year.