Latest News

Prime Day 2020: A RedFlagDeals Recap of Amazon's Annual Shopping Event

Prime Day 2020: A RedFlagDeals Recap of Amazon's Annual Shopping Event

By Thomas Kenzaki

Prime Day 2020 was the Prime Day that almost didn’t happen. The yearly shopping event which typically takes place in July, was indefinitely postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic but eventually got rescheduled for October 13-14. Find out how it stacked up to last year in our Prime Day 2020 recap!

  • Total number of Amazon deals shared during Prime Day: 325
  • Prime Day deals posted per hour: 6.77 per hour
  • Combined total views of all Prime Day deals: 1,735,156
  • Most viewed Prime Day deal: Free $6 credit with $30 Amazon gift card purchase (81,236 views)
  • Most discussed Prime Day deal: Free $6 credit with $30 Amazon gift card purchase (340 replies)
  • Most popular Prime Day deal: Free $6 credit with $30 Amazon gift card purchase (744 upvotes)
  • Least popular Prime Day deal: Zojirushi Pressure Induction Rice Cooker $512.99 (27 downvotes)
  • Total posts about Prime Day: 7,213

This year our members shared less deals, but they received more views and generated more discussion over Prime Day 2019. The most popular deal again was a "free money" deal for buying an Amazon gift card. Almost everyone can make use of a $30 Amazon gift card so why not get a free $6 to spend on top of that?

After Prime Day 2019, Amazon stated that it was their most successful Prime Day ever. This Prime Day the same claim wasn’t made, however they did say that “Prime Day 2020 marked the two biggest shopping days ever for small and medium-sized businesses” and that “Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion”.

There were some great deals this year, but many RedFlagDeals members posted saying that last year's Prime Day was better. Many Prime Day deals shipped and sold by Amazon were quick to sell out, including the popular Fire TV Stick 4K at $44.99. Items from 3rd party sellers seemed to have better availability overall.

With all that said, a delayed Prime Day is still better than no Prime Day in my opinion.

For those of you wondering what the most popular deals with the RedFlagDeals community members were, may I present to you the following Top 10 lists.

Top 10 Threads

Top 10 Sold Items

39 Comments

    • apparently rumour that this year will be bigger than previous because prime subscription is hitting record level, lots of lightning deals will go fast!
    • Report Post
    • sure hope the wife does not order that amazon crap...tired of cutting those card board boxes plus where us going to put that amazon crap,,maybe in the shed
    • Report Post
    • your best bet wrote: sure hope the wife does not order that amazon crap...tired of cutting those card board boxes plus where us going to put that amazon crap,,maybe in the shed
      lmao so many impulse RFD buys I bet
    • Report Post
    • bosoxfanx wrote: apparently rumour that this year will be bigger than previous because prime subscription is hitting record level, lots of lightning deals will go fast!
      Why would those 2 things be related?
      What does it have to do with anything?

      "lots of lightning deals will go fast!" + "rumour"

      Source?

      You sound like a shill!
    • Report Post
    • I’m hoping for some deals on stuff in the Amazon Warehouse marketplace. It’s been 20 or 25% off during previous prime day events before, no?

      Has it been made known if this will happen again?
    • Report Post
    • Hoping for a mechanical keyboard deal.
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote: Why would those 2 things be related?
      What does it have to do with anything?

      "lots of lightning deals will go fast!" + "rumour"

      Source?

      You sound like a shill!
      I just read a few places talking about these anticipated Prime deals are those speculations. Make sense, covid = more prime subscriptions, and more prime members = more deals sell out quick on prime day
    • Report Post
    • sickens wrote: I’m hoping for some deals on stuff in the Amazon Warehouse marketplace. It’s been 20 or 25% off during previous prime day events before, no?

      Has it been made known if this will happen again?
      seems like they are keeping alot of things secret before the acutual deal.

      remember last time Prime day crashed the amazon servers lol...
    • Report Post
    • Here's to hoping for some toilet paper deals for the TP and Poop.
    • Report Post
    • My 2020 Prime Day wish list
      1- Echo Dot or above
      2- Fire TV cube or 4k fire stick
      3- 32" Fire TV for the office.
      4- More smart bulbs

      I find it disgusting Best Buy US has the 32" Toshiba Fire TV for 129us whereas BB Canada's equivalent is at 329$.
    • Report Post
    • bosoxfanx wrote: I just read a few places talking about these anticipated Prime deals are those speculations. Make sense, covid = more prime subscriptions, and more prime members = more deals sell out quick on prime day
      If you read this RFD thread: Amazon Prime Day sales you will find a lot of underwhelmed people with the Amazon Prime event preview. I don't share your enthusiastic analysis about the Prime event being better this year (if by "bigger" you mean better). If I may quote myself from the other thread:
      Thatdealguy wrote: lolol why is it getting worst every year.......
      The reason this year: COVID -- Amazon already barely can keep-up, hiring like crazy.
      Many people are at home with Free money from the feds and don't want to go in-store so they shop at Amazon.
      They don't need a lot of hype. They couldn't handle much more this close to BF.

      Amazon Doubles Profit To $5.2 Billion As Online Shopping Spikes

      Amazon to hire 100,000 workers as e-commerce swells amid the pandemic

      Everybody talking about Prime Day is just that: talk, hype.

      Here are a couple of posts from the other thread:

      "Wallet is safe" -- 112 upvotes

      "Ice cold..." -- 59 upvotes

      "Amazon is KILLING IT due to the massive increase in online shopping. They have exactly zero reasons to offer anything decent IMHO." -- 44 upvotes
    • Report Post
    • Just had a baby a few weeks ago. Has Prime day offered hot deals on baby stuff like diapers and wipes in the past?
    • Report Post
    • KravenHead wrote: My 2020 Prime Day wish list
      1- Echo Dot or above
      2- Fire TV cube or 4k fire stick
      3- 32" Fire TV for the office.
      4- More smart bulbs

      I find it disgusting Best Buy US has the 32" Toshiba Fire TV for 129us whereas BB Canada's equivalent is at 289$.
      I was gonna say who's buying 32 TVs but yea make sense
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote: If you read this RFD thread: Amazon Prime Day sales you will find a lot of underwhelmed people with the Amazon Prime event preview. I don't share your enthusiastic analysis about the Prime event being better this year (if by "bigger" you mean better). If I may quote myself from the other thread:



      The reason this year: COVID -- Amazon already barely can keep-up, hiring like crazy.
      Many people are at home with Free money from the feds and don't want to go in-store so they shop at Amazon.
      They don't need a lot of hype. They couldn't handle much more this close to BF.

      Amazon Doubles Profit To $5.2 Billion As Online Shopping Spikes

      Amazon to hire 100,000 workers as e-commerce swells amid the pandemic

      Everybody talking about Prime Day is just that: talk, hype.

      Here are a couple of posts from the other thread:

      "Wallet is safe" -- 112 upvotes

      "Ice cold..." -- 59 upvotes

      "Amazon is KILLING IT due to the massive increase in online shopping. They have exactly zero reasons to offer anything decent IMHO." -- 44 upvotes
      LMAO why is this in the "expired hot deals" forum....
    • Report Post
    • i wonder if earbuds will be discounted? Anyone remember what were the best sales last year?
    • Report Post
    • I read a lot of the "up to 30%"...
      but I am hoping there would be some sick lightning deals too
    • Report Post
    • It's probably gonna be like boxing day. Lots of hype but very few actually good deals is my prediction.
    • Report Post
    • I'll probably get the new Kindle Fire 10 inch.
      The previous version is pretty good, but it doesn't support a lot of newer Android apps because it has Fire OS 5 (based on Android 5).

      The newest version is Fire OS 7 (Android 9).
    • Report Post
    • hoping the canon ivy photo printer will be on sale
    • Report Post
    • I'd like Sennheiser HD599se which are reg. $329. I see now they are at $278, wonder if they'll drop more for Prime Day. The regular ones are only $259 but they are beige and brown. :(
    • Report Post
    • does it start midnight EST?
    • Report Post
    • Aznkid2000 wrote: does it start midnight EST?
      First post says midnight pacific time.
      3am est.
    • Report Post
    • Hoping to get an Instant Pot or Air Fryer!
    • Report Post
    • Madevilz wrote: Just had a baby a few weeks ago. Has Prime day offered hot deals on baby stuff like diapers and wipes in the past?
      Congrats.

      Yes, they do. However, I personally believe the Kirkland brand is best in terms of lasting as-in they will not leak compared to the other brands, for which you'd have to look for the "long-lasting" ones.

      Happy parenting. :)
    • Report Post
    • anon_s wrote: Congrats.

      Yes, they do. However, I personally believe the Kirkland brand is best in terms of lasting as-in they will not leak compared to the other brands, for which you'd have to look for the "long-lasting" ones.

      Happy parenting. :)
      Thanks!
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote:

      You sound like a shill!

      You sound like someone that doesn't know what a shill is, if you think in 2020, almost 2021, amazon of all places, needs shills.
    • Report Post
    • canada1231231 wrote: i wonder if earbuds will be discounted? Anyone remember what were the best sales last year?
      There's some Aukey True Wireless headphones coming up this morning if that's your thing!
    • Report Post
    • kwk1 wrote: .
      Sennheiser has a new headphone, 560s, that are supposedly almost on par with 650 but cost way less (~$250). Not out in Canada yet, might take a few weeks or months.
    • Report Post
    • Video games... I don't see much.

      Some titles were already less (and sold-out) at WM for their clearance. Code Vein? Medan? Ni No LOL

      Gears 5 is $12.99 though instead of $19 @ WM.
    • Report Post
    • Yeah... I can't find much worth buying unfortunately, that's a bit disappointing... Was hoping to get a mechanical keyboard and anything else worth buying but doesn't seem to be all that good of a deal to be honest...
    • Report Post
    • Speaking of video games, some show they're part of the prime day sale and will give you "price at checkout" and a lot of them are MORE expensive at checkout than the actual listing price. Well done Amazon...
    • Report Post
    • So far no Fire TV. But got Vitafusion Multivites 150ct for $2.50 tax included on subscribe and save which is smoking hot.
    • Report Post
    • merciscool wrote: Speaking of video games, some show they're part of the prime day sale and will give you "price at checkout" and a lot of them are MORE expensive at checkout than the actual listing price. Well done Amazon...
      Yeah... combined with the $10 prime video situation, this blows. Sure, they might get some impulse buyers, but there's still Black Friday and Boxing Day to try and score a deal, who's going to buy anything now?
    • Report Post
    • Instant Pot Duo Nova 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker for $89.99 any good?
    • Report Post
    • Anyone think the SD cards are hot? debating about pulling the trigger on a 256gb for $42.99
    • Report Post
    • divx wrote: Instant Pot Duo Nova 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker for $89.99 any good?
      it could go lower at black friday. Last year its dropped to 59.99 at CT. heres link for reference
    • Report Post
    • CompulsiveShopper wrote: Anyone think the SD cards are hot? debating about pulling the trigger on a 256gb for $42.99
      I wouldn't say hot.. the $9 transcend from Walmart were hot, but they cancelled my order on those :( I'm thinking of just getting a 128gb samsung to tide me over until there's a better sale for 200-500gb.
    • Report Post
    • amazon.ca/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B07NPMMZ8C
      amazon.ca/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-Drive/dp/B07X4V2M3B

      10TB and 12TB external drives at warm prices.
    • Report Post
    • strife wrote: I wouldn't say hot.. the $9 transcend from Walmart were hot, but they cancelled my order on those :( I'm thinking of just getting a 128gb samsung to tide me over until there's a better sale for 200-500gb.
      you think black friday or boxing day will be better or should i just go for it?
    • Report Post