Latest News

Amazon Cancels Prime Day 2021 in Canada

Amazon Cancels Prime Day 2021 in Canada

By Simon Hung

Amazon has cancelled Prime Day 2021 in Canada, opting to skip the shopping event entirely this year due to ongoing concerns of COVID-19.

The disappointing news comes after Amazon initially postponed the event, announcing in May that Prime Day 2021 would be delayed in Canada and India due to the rise of COVID-19 cases in both countries.

"Based on the impact of COVID-19 in Canada, and the importance we place on protecting the health and safety of our employees, we will not hold Prime Day in Canada this year," the company said in a statement. "While we know our Canadian Prime members love Prime Day, we will continue to provide them value through the range of Prime benefits from free delivery on millions of items to streaming TV series, movies, music and more."

Amazon's Prime Day page was updated in late-June to display a generic "Prime Day will return" graphic, replacing a page that previously housed details about the Canadian Prime Day postponement.

The cancellation will not impact Amazon India, as their version of Prime Day 2021 was re-scheduled for July 26-27. In other regions, Prime Day 2021 was held on June 21-22 in over 20 countries around the world including the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, Spain and others. The inclusion of Brazil is bit of a head-scratcher, as the country experienced a surge of COVID-19 cases this spring, averaging over 50,000 new cases per day between March and June, according to Johns Hopkins University. Despite this, Prime Day 2021 was held in the country, helping contribute to Amazon's estimated worldwide total of 250 million items sold during the event.

Prime Day has become one of the most-anticipated shopping events in Canada, as the Prime-exclusive sale often featured impressive discounts on popular items like Fire TV streaming sticks, Instant Pot cookers, gaming consoles, diapers and much more. Last year, the event was the most popular Prime Day ever on RedFlagDeals, generating over 7000 posts and 1.7 million views on our forum throughout the event. With no Prime Day in 2021, Canadians will likely have to wait until Black Friday 2021 to shop Amazon's next big shopping event.

____________________

Source: Amazon Canada, with reports from MobileSyrup

39 Comments

    • Well, the title of the other thread says Prime day postponed. And the post from chemicalxv says "rumor". It's more than a rumor and it's more than postponed. It's DEAD!

      If it's big news to me it's going to be big news to many who were waiting for that event to get Fire sticks, Amazon tablets, Echoes, and other electronics.

      The news has more visibility this way. Still, this is not the Hot Deals forum, so many people won't know about it.
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote: If it's big news to me it's going to be big news to many who were waiting for that event to get Fire sticks, Amazon tablets, Echoes, and other electronics.
      I'm thinking there will be sales in the coming months that will take its place. Just need a bit more patience to get your electronics.
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote: Still, this is not the Hot Deals forum, so many people won't know about it.
      RFDers who hang around only in Hot Deals miss out on a lot of valuable information in Shopping Discussion and elsewhere on RFD that could save them a lot of money. RFD may be billed as "Where Canadians Save", but Hot Deals is kind of the opposite. It's "Where Canadians Spend".
    • Report Post
    • Kiraly wrote: RFDers who hang around only in Hot Deals miss out on a lot of valuable information in Shopping Discussion and elsewhere on RFD that could save them a lot of money. RFD may be billed as "Where Canadians Save", but Hot Deals is "Where Canadians Spend".
      RFD'er who hang around in Hot Deals miss out on a lot? Good. If they don't want to take the time to explore the site then its their loss. The site shouldn't be designed to spoon feed the lazy. It's already bad enough that freebies and shopping discussions are a regular part of the Hot Deals section of the forum when there are specific places for that. Should discussions of which credit card has the best cash back be in the Hot Deals section? What about if someone is selling a high end graphics card of phone for below MSRP? The answer is NO, there are specific areas for those threads.

      The site isn't hard to navigate and nothing is really hidden (Except Off Topic) so if someone can't find their way out of Hot Deals? F'em.
    • Report Post
    • kr0zet wrote: RFD'er who hang around in Hot Deals miss out on a lot? Good. (...) The site isn't hard to navigate and nothing is really hidden (Except Off Topic) so if someone can't find their way out of Hot Deals? F'em.
      I agree with most of what you say. But some freebies are just really low-priced ($0) Hot deals. There are so few that I would prefer to see them in the Hot deals forum instead of many higher-priced supposedly "Hot deals" which aren't. I hate to have to monitor deals in many forums. Like when they open a different forum for Black Friday or Boxing week: a Hot deal is a Hot deal; post it in the Hot deals forum. I'd rather have everything in one place.

      But the way you say it...

      Image
    • Report Post
    • Saving $79 not renewing prime . Amazon will see prime membership drop am sure .
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote: I agree with most of what you say. But some freebies are just really low-priced ($0) Hot deals. There are so few that I would prefer to see them in the Hot deals forum instead of many higher-priced supposedly "Hot deals" which aren't. I hate to have to monitor deals in many forums. Like when they open a different forum for Black Friday or Boxing week: a Hot deal is a Hot deal; post it in the Hot deals forum. I'd rather have everything in one place.

      But the way you say it...
      After 20 years in corporate HR I have found that I no longer have the time nor the inclination to tip toe around. The forum includes a tool for anyone that doesn't want to see my posts and I encourage those that are offended to use it.

      None of what I said was directed at you, more so for the those that are too lazy to figure out where to post or the thumbs up seekers that post in Hot Deals for the exposure. I found your post in Shopping Discussion, exactly where it would be expected to be found. Thank you very much for keeping the clutter to a minimum and posting where the site designers envisioned your post to be.
    • Report Post
    • Keith1411 wrote: I'm thinking there will be sales in the coming months that will take its place. Just need a bit more patience to get your electronics.
      Historically 2-6 weeks before Black Friday (Friday November 26 this year) is always a good time to shop. Lots of electronics price drops right at the end of that period (mid November). Deals on clothes, housewares & the like at the beginning of that period (mid-October).
    • Report Post
    • Honestly, the Prime deals have never been that good in Canada. Occasionally, I'd buy some nice peripherals for my desktop like keyboards or monitors during Prime Day, but these deals also show up on Boxing Day and boxing day usually has bigger discounts too.
    • Report Post
    • Ultimately it's about Amazon getting a quasi monopoly position in Canada on online shopping and flexing its muscle by slowly raising its prices and worsening its deals for customers, like a slowly boiled frog.
    • Report Post
    • Poutinesauce wrote: Ultimately it's about Amazon getting a quasi monopoly position in Canada on online shopping and flexing its muscle by slowly raising its prices and worsening its deals for customers, like a slowly boiled frog.
      Much like the walmart cancer that has grown in Canada as Zellers and Target died? walmart is no longer about low prices, they are about squeezing any profit they can out of every body that dare enter.
    • Report Post
    • kr0zet wrote: Much like the walmart cancer that has grown in Canada as Zellers and Target died? walmart is no longer about low prices, they are about squeezing any profit they can out of every body that dare enter.
      was target ever alive?
    • Report Post
    • kr0zet wrote: Much like the walmart cancer that has grown in Canada as Zellers and Target died? walmart is no longer about low prices, they are about squeezing any profit they can out of every body that dare enter.
      Every company does that, including Costco.
    • Report Post
    • Lol at the company where employees piss in garbage cans to save time suddenly caring about their health.
    • Report Post
    • They just lost another one of my packages, never deliver on time (two day shipping), only reason I've stuck with Prime is I get reimbursed for it. Will cancel out of principle now that it offers nothing.
    • Report Post
    • hagbard wrote: They just lost another one of my packages, never deliver on time (two day shipping), only reason I've stuck with Prime is I get reimbursed for it. Will cancel out of principle now that it offers nothing.
      That's Amazon today in a nutshell - they think refunds are a replacement for proper customer service.

      This country desperately needs some e-commerce competition.
    • Report Post
    • Raident wrote: That's Amazon today in a nutshell - they think refunds are a replacement for proper customer service.

      This country desperately needs some e-commerce competition.
      That seems to be the policy of a lot of the major players today, not just Amazon. Just yesterday we went back to Costco because a product I purchased was missing a hardware kit inside the box. Their solution - take it back and full refund. Even Chinese eBay sellers have had that policy for over a decade when packages don't arrive or are damaged.
      Not sure it's a Canada-specific issue, or a bad policy either. Isn't that a part of Good Customer Service? It keeps us from arguing and chasing down refund money.
    • Report Post
    • Amazon cancelled Prime day for Canada due to shortages. They want to keep everything for the USA and so Canada's small prime day is cancelled to help out the US. It's a consequence of not being that important as our market is much smaller.
    • Report Post
    • Civid cases are far higher in the States than they are in Canada and they are behind us on vaccination rate so amazon is full of shit
    • Report Post
    • Then next year Prime day in Canada should have better deals than the US to make up for this!
    • Report Post
    • Then next year Prime day in Canada should have better deals than the US to make up for this!
    • Report Post
    • Due to covid concerns I’ll help keep Amazon employees safe by shopping elsewhere
    • Report Post
    • Maybe Bezos will reconsider when sees the Amazon Mastercard bill for his space vacation...
    • Report Post
    • "Due to covid".... the easiest excuse of the entire history of mankind
    • Report Post
    • Looks more like trying to keep their customers on a leash by saying oh it's being postponed due to covid, well it worked for a while and now they say it's not going to happen this year and the US goes ahead with theirs??? I mean come on man, if you are going to do business then do it, if you want our business then do it.
    • Report Post
    • I know there was a discussion somewhere about it being postponed but now it is officially cancelled.

      link
    • Report Post
    • This is what happens when people embrace radical left politics. Job Creators and Innovators have to protect themselves.

      Also, I have to say I've mostly stuck to the Hot Deals forum, just out of habit. I'll try to remember to explore the site a bit more. Thx
    • Report Post
    • MapleGlider wrote: This is what happens when people embrace radical left politics. Job Creators and Innovators have to protect themselves.

      Also, I have to say I've mostly stuck to the Hot Deals forum, just out of habit. I'll try to remember to explore the site a bit more. Thx
      Image
    • Report Post
    • CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Lol at the company where employees piss in garbage cans to save time suddenly caring about their health.
      It is strange amazon care about covid in Canada but not in the States.
    • Report Post
    • Raident wrote: That's Amazon today in a nutshell - they think refunds are a replacement for proper customer service.
      This country desperately needs some e-commerce competition.
      What do you expect them to do? In brick stores they will also you refund for lost or broken items. Other e-tailer like alibaba don't even offer refunds.
    • Report Post
    • MapleGlider wrote: This is what happens when people embrace radical left politics. Job Creators and Innovators have to protect themselves.

      Also, I have to say I've mostly stuck to the Hot Deals forum, just out of habit. I'll try to remember to explore the site a bit more. Thx
      Bezos and his ex McKenzie Scott support exclusively Democrat causes. Bezos just gace $200M to 2 leftist charities after his space flight. Scott has dumped millions on leftist causes.
    • Report Post
    • lecale wrote: Bezos and his ex McKenzie Scott support exclusively Democrat causes. Bezos just gace $200M to 2 leftist charities after his space flight. Scott has dumped millions on leftist causes.
      Gotta just love commie billionaires.
    • Report Post
    • hagbard wrote: Gotta just love commie billionaires.
      At least they give, unlike Musk, who has the audacity to make like he is part of the bourgeoisie. (Probably because he has equity not cash so everything he has is mortgaged. No cash to give because he never cashes out.)
    • Report Post
    • no worries about prime day,,just the c hinese s hit they could not sell...so they lower the price for prime day..
      were so gullable thinking theres a deal on amazon prime day
    • Report Post
    • your best bet wrote: no worries about prime day,,just the c hinese s hit they could not sell...so they lower the price for prime day..
      were so gullable thinking theres a deal on amazon prime day
      You can say shit, its not filtered out. Damn, Ass, Shit!
    • Report Post
    • kr0zet wrote: You can say shit, its not filtered out. Damn, Ass, Shit!
      But not Sm artCanuck.ca, THAT's a dirty word.
    • Report Post
    • Temporel wrote: But not Sm artCanuck.ca, THAT's a dirty word.
      So is C amelCamelCamel
    • Report Post