Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. announced that it plans to shutter all National Sports locations -- a move which some may find surprising considering the company recently reported that its fourth-quarter revenue and profit have risen significantly when compared to a year prior.
The company decided to close the stores following an internal evaluation in an aim to reduce overlap in their sporting goods assortment with other company brands including Canadian Tire and SportChek.
Gregory Craig, the retailer's chief financial officer, said in a call on February 18, "This has been a difficult decision, particularly due to its impact on people." He also added that, "[w]e're making every effort to place affected employees within our family of companies."
Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. operates a number of brands, including Canadian Tire, Mark's, SportChek, Atmosphere, Sports Experts and Pro Hockey Life.
National Sports -- launched as National Gym Clothing Ltd. in 1968 is known for their selection of sportwear, shoes, and gear.
There are currently 18 National Sports stores, all of which are in Ontario. If you're looking to visit one before they're gone, we've listed the locations for you below:
- Barrie - 353 Bayfield St.
- Brampton - 539 Steeles Avenue E.
- Cambridge - 83-600 Hespeler Rd.
- Concord - 2160 Hwy 7 W.
- Hamilton - 970 Upper Wentworth St.
- London - 332 Wellington Rd. S.
- London - 1735 Richmond St.
- Mississauga - 2921 Eglinton Ave. W.
- Mississauga - 1770 Dundas St. E.
- Newmarket - 1111 Davis Dr.
- Oakville - 210 N. Service Rd.
- Ottawa - 4338 Innes Rd.
- Peterborough - 81 George St. N.
- Pickering - 699 Kingston Rd.
- Scarborough - 1455 McCowan Rd.
- Waterloo - 24 Forwell Creek Rd.
- Windsor - 13580 Tecumseh Rd. E.
- Windsor - 3051 Legacy Park Dr.
As of the time of publishing, no date has been given for when the stores will be permanently closing.