Walking or running on a treadmill is a great way to get a workout that can provide a variety of benefits. From supporting your cardiovascular health and bone health, to helping you build and maintain muscle and lose excess weight, treadmills can help you get and stay in shape.
Purchasing a high-quality treadmill that you can use at home is a smart move. After all, when you have a treadmill of your own, you won’t need to rely on an expensive gym membership to use one, and you can walk, jog, or run on it whenever you want, regardless of what the weather is doing outside.
If you’re a senior who’s shopping for a treadmill, though, there are several things to consider, and certain specs to look for. That’s why we’ve compiled a short guide to help you make the right decision for your unique workout needs.
What to Look for When Shopping for a Treadmill for Seniors
To help ensure you invest in a treadmill that will allow you to get the best workout possible, consider the following while you shop:
- For seniors who want to be sure they can enjoy a safe workout while using a treadmill, there are features that may help you avoid injuries. An obvious one is the emergency stop, but seniors may also benefit from longer handrails.
- Extra cushioning is also preferred for seniors because this can provide additional support for the joints. Variable cushioning is attractive because it helps ensure a softer landing at the top of the track, along with a firm surface towards the back.
- Using a bit of an incline may be helpful if you have joint problems and you want your workout to be gentler on your knees. Plus, it’s also helpful if you want to build strength and burn more calories. So, as you shop, check the incline options available on various models to find the one that’s right for you.
A Few Treadmill Models That Are Worth Checking Out
Now that you know about a few of the things to look for in a treadmill that would be appropriate for seniors, let’s take a look at some of the models that are available:
- 1. Landice L7 LTD — This is a high-end model that has a powerful motor, heart rate monitoring, a top speed of 12 mph, and a weight capacity of 400 pounds. In terms of cushioning, you can choose from the VFX Shock Absorption, which is five times softer than grass, or you can get the orthopedic suspension, which is seven times softer than grass. Plus, it comes with an emergency stop button and safety lanyard, it has an incline, and you can have medical rails added on.
- 2. BowFlex TreadClimber TC100 — This compact treadmill is designed to help you get an effective low-impact workout, so it’s yet another good option for seniors. Its top speed is 4 mph, its weight capacity is 300 pounds, and it has transport wheels to make it easy to move. Plus, it’s actually three machines in one because you can also use it as an elliptical and stair climber.
- 3. Sole F63TC100 — This is a budget-friendly and foldable treadmill with a quiet motor, a power incline, preset workouts, and heart rate monitoring. It also has cushioning that is designed to help reduce the impact on your joints. Its weight capacity is 325 pounds, and its top speed is 12 mph.
- 4. LifeSpan TR8000i — This is a medical treadmill that includes many features that seniors can take advantage of, such as full-length medical grade handrails, an incline, a non-slip belt, and a spacious running area. Its weight capacity is 500 pounds, and its top speed is 12 mph.
In addition to the specific models discussed above, here are a couple of brands that offer treadmills that can be great for seniors:
- 1. Cybex — You can find treadmill models that include things like lanyards, high-contrast deck coloring, and user detection for safety. Plus, these also have automated incline, variable cushioning, and heart rate monitoring.
- 2. Precor — Known as the first brand to use cushioning for lower impact workouts, this is another company that can help you find the ideal treadmill that’s designed to reduce stress on the joints. These machines also boast commercial-grade motors, along with incline/decline to adjust the track as needed.
Get a Fantastic Workout Right at Home with the Right Treadmill!
With a treadmill that’s made with seniors in mind, you can enjoy a safe and effective workout at home when you want to take steps to support your health and weight. In addition to looking at price, be sure to focus on the features that will allow you to make the most of this exercise equipment.