GNC, a retailer known for its heath and nutrition products, has filed for bankruptcy in the United States, and plans to close a number of stores in both Canada and the U.S. as part of its restructuring process.
Earlier this week, the company announced that they had filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the U.S. and that they plan to also file in the applicable Canadian court seeking recognition of their U.S. filing. In addition to the filing, GNC expects to close between 800 and 1,200 store locations to "allow GNC to invest in the appropriate areas to evolve for the future, better positioning the Company to meet current and future consumer demand around the world."
A number of store closures have already been announced, but at this time there are only 29 store closures expected to happen in Canada:
- Calgary - Marlborough Mall
- Calgary - Shawnessy Town Centre
- Edmonton - Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre
- Red Deer - Bower Place
- Abbotsford - Sevenoaks Shopping Centre
- Burnaby - Brentwood Towne Centre
- Chilliwack - Eagle Landing Shopping Centre
- Dawson Creek - Dawson Mall
- Lanley - Willowbrook Shopping Centre
- New Westminster - Queensborough Landing
- Victoria - Mayfair Shopping Centre
- Brandon - Brandon Shoppers
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Corner Brook - Smartcentres Corner Brook
- Barrie - Georgian Mall
- Brantford - Lynden Park Mall
- Kingston - Cataraqui Town Centre
- Kitchener - Williamsburg Town Centre
- London - CF Masonville Place
- Markham - Markham Town Centre
- Mississauga - Erin Mills Town Centre
- Mississauga - Creekside Crossing
- Orangeville - Westside Market Village
- Scarborough - Markham & Steeles
- Scarborough - Morningside Crossing
- Sudbury - New Sudbury Centre
- Toronto- St. Claire & Runnymede Rd.
- Vaughan - Colussus Centre
- Quebec City - Laurier Quebec
- Repentigny - Galeries Rive Nord
Currently only 248 locations have been slated for closure in Canada and the United States, so it's unclear how many more Canadian locations could be impacted in the future. As of March 31, GNC operated approximately 7,300 locations worldwide with 5,200 locations in the U.S. and approximately 200 locations in Canada.
GNC did not state how many employees will be impacted by the store closures.
GNC stores will continue to operate during the restructuring process. The company will also continue to offer solutions for customers online.