Gym memberships can be expensive, and they might be a waste of money if you don’t go to the gym often enough to justify the cost. But if you own a treadmill, you can exercise whenever you want, day or night. And you can squeeze in a quick workout when you’re super busy, or enjoy a longer workout when you have some extra time—all without having to leave the house!
Today’s treadmills are advanced, and there are models to suit every budget. Plus, they come with built-in technology like iFit, which lets you stream classes to keep your workout routine challenging and fun.
To help you get started, we’ve compiled some info on treadmill workouts you can do at home, along with a list of some of the top treadmills available that come with the option to subscribe to iFit. That way, you can get a solid workout without having to spend money at a boutique gym!
What Are Some of the Basic Treadmill Workouts You Can Do at Home?
Once you have your treadmill, you might not know where to begin, but there are several workouts that you can tackle right away to make the most of your new exercise equipment. And you don’t need to spend a long time on your treadmill either, as a half hour could be sufficient to get your heart rate up and your muscles working. Here are two examples:
- 30-minute HIIT workout: HIIT stands for high-intensity interval training, and it’s a good way to build stamina and strength. To add this workout style into your treadmill routine, start by completing a 10-minute warm-up, during which you can walk or lightly jog. Follow that with around 16 minutes of alternating between a minute of high-intensity running and a minute of recovering with a light jog. Finally, complete a 5-minute cool-down.
- 30-minute tempo workout: This is a great choice for those days when you want to focus on building endurance with a simple cardio routine. Warm up by walking or lightly jogging for 10 minutes. Then move on to a challenging level that you can handle for the next 10 minutes. Finally, do a 10-minute cool-down by walking or lightly jogging to bring your heart rate back down.
Reasons to Choose a Treadmill That’s Equipped with iFit
When you’re shopping for the right treadmill, consider looking for one that has iFit technology. This makes it easy to follow along with engaging workout routines that can help motivate you to exercise.
With iFit, you don’t have to limit yourself to boring treadmill workouts anymore, and it even gives you access to other types of workouts, from yoga to kickboxing, that you can do off of your treadmill. It also provides Google Street View workouts, along with various exercise programs, including those that you can make yourself, to add more variety and intensity to your routine. Plus, the app can sync with your treadmill to log your workout data automatically so you don’t have to worry about it.
What Are Some of the Best Treadmills with iFit?
- FreeMotion 790 Interactive – Activate iFit to be able to race against your Facebook friends. Choose from one of the myriad running routes on Google Maps, and then let the treadmill adjust on its own to mimic the terrain of the map that you selected.
- Reebok 1910 – In addition to 40 built-in training programs, you can take advantage of iFit to access workouts that are customized to your fitness goals. Plus, you can take advantage of automatic incline/decline changes, and you can compete with friends online.
- ProForm SMART Pro 2000 – Choose from the many built-in workouts, and then switch things up by using iFit to access hundreds of trainer led videos that will keep your body challenged and growing strong.
- NordicTrack Commercial 1750 – With iFit Coach, you can access workouts that have you virtually running on challenging landscapes from around the world. Plus, it can track important workout data every time you use your treadmill, as well as give you suggestions that are based on your activity and goals.