You may have to drive a little farther to get your home improvement essentials, because Lowe's just announced plans to shutter 31 locations in Canada.
The announcement, made early Monday, will see 27 under-performing store locations as well as a few plants and support centres closed across the country.
The closures will mainly effect Rona stores, a Quebec chain which the company acquired in 2016. We've gone ahead and listed the impacted store locations below.
- Rona Douglasdale (11520 – 24th Street SE), Calgary
- Reno-Depot (12330 Symons Valley Road NW), Calgary
- RONA Columbia Square (105-1015 Columbia Street), New Westminister
- Rona Bay Roberts (239 Conception Bay), Bay Roberts
- Rona Conception Bay South (825 Conception Bay Hwy), Conception Bay
- Rona Goulds (53-59 Main Highway), Goulds
- Rona O'Leary (60 O'Leary Avenue), St. John's
- Rona Topsail (1297 Topsail Road), St. John's
- Rona Torbay (710 Torbay Road), St. John's
- Rona Bath Road (1452 Bath Road), Kingston
- Rona Lakefield (178 Water Street), Lakefield
- Rona Westdale Mall (1133 Dundas Street West), Mississauga
- Rona Lakeshore (1692 Lakeshore Rd), Mississauga
- Lowe's Centerpoint (6600 Yonge Street), North York
- Rona Peterborough (1575 Chemong Road), Peterborough
- Lowe's Sault Ste. Marie (248 Northern Avenue), Sault Ste. Marie
- Rona Sault Ste. Marie (132 Black Road), Sault Ste. Marie
- Rona Sudbury (943 Barry Downe Road), Sudbury
- Rona Ange-Gardien (194 rue Principale), Ange-Gardien
- Rona Granby Moeller (788 rue Moeller), Grandby
- Rona L'Assomption (723 boulevard L'Ange-Gardien), L'Assomption
- Rona Ste-Rose (134 boulevard Sainte-Rose), Laval
- Rona Rivière-des-Prairies (9200 boulevard Maurice-Duplessis), Montreal
- Rona Ste-Clotilde (335, Route 209), Sainte-Clotilde-de-Chateauguay
- Rona Saint-Elzear (100 rue du Parc Industriel), Saint Elzear
- Rona Iberville (870 boulevard d’Iberville), Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
- Rona Rouyn-Noranda (1200 rue Mantha), Rouyn-Noranda
In addition to the above store closures, Lowe's will also shutter a truss plant in St. John's, and a block plant in Kamloops, as well as support centres in both Mississauga and St. John's.
Regarding the closures and the impact on Lowe's and Rona employees, Lowe's president and CEO Marvin R. Ellison said, "We believe our people are the foundation of our business and essential to our future growth, and we are making every effort to transition impacted associates to nearby Lowe's stores."
In additon to the 31 closures across Canada, Lowe's also announced that 20 locations across the U.S. will be closed immediately.
While exact closure dates are unknown for the the impacted Canadian stores, the company has noted that they are expected to close before the end of January 2019.