Amazon Prime Day is officially back for 2017 and the one-day-only shopping event exclusively for Prime members will be held on Tuesday, July 11. It's Amazon's third Prime Day and you'll have 30 hours to shop this year, as the deals start on Monday, July 10 at 9:00 PM EST.
Amazon Prime is ubiquitous for anyone who's shopped on Amazon before, but we've given a brief rundown on the service along with some of the deals we expect to see in Canada based on past Prime Day sales.
What is Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime is a paid service from Amazon that grants free shipping with no minimum, access to Amazon Prime Video and more. Free shipping is the most notable benefit, as you won’t have to worry order minimums and some regions are eligible for same-day shipping.
How much is Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime is $79.00 per year or $39.00 per year for eligible students. Free trials are available and you can cancel your membership at any time -- paid subscribers will be refunded a prorated amount.
Is Amazon Prime worth it?
A Prime membership is beneficial if you shop often on Amazon.ca and you’ll also gain access to exclusive benefits including 20% off video game pre-orders and 20% off diapers. Using a free trial is the easiest way to test if the service is right for you, but note that you’ll be charged the annual price once your trial ends, unless you cancel.
Are trial members eligible for Prime Day?
Yes, trial members will have access to Prime Day deals.
What’s the deal?
We don’t know the exact slate of deals planned for this year’s event and Amazon has only teased three deals in their official press release for the event.
- Get a 40% off promotional credit toward a future book purchase with the purchase of any eBook
- Take 30% off select VIZIO 24”, 32” and 48” televisions
- Up to 40% off new Subscribe & Save subscriptions
Other deals are currently unknown, but we took a look at past Prime Day sales and made five RFD Bold Predictions™ with some deals we expect to see.
- AmazonBasics -- Amazon.ca recently ended the extra 20% discount Prime members received on AmazonBasics products, leading to speculation about a return for Prime Day. They were 35% off in 2016, so we may see a similar discount
- Diapers -- Huggies diapers were 50% off with an extra 20% off in 2015 and all diapers were up to 70% off with Subscribe & Save in 2016, so we expect to see more diaper deals this year
- Instant Pot -- the Instant Pot 7-in-1 Pressure Cooker was $94.99 in 2016 (a historical low at the time) and given its popularity and increased frequency of discounts, we won’t be surprised if it’s on sale again
- Storage -- computer storage is always a popular category and we’ve seen both hard drives and SSDs hit historical lows during past Prime Day sales, so there should be attractive deals for both
- Video games -- we saw an Xbox One bundle with four games and an extra wireless controller for $349.99 in 2016 and we expect a deal for one or more major consoles this year. Increased bonus savings on video game pre-orders is another possibility
Tips and Tricks
- Bookmark these pages -- the Amazon.ca Prime Day page and our Hot Deals forum. Once the sale starts, there will be a Prime Day thread on our forum with plenty of discussion
- Buy first, think later -- the unofficial RFD way of life, the hottest deals will likely be available for a very limited time, so buy quickly to avoid FOMO
- Check early, check often -- Amazon.ca will release deals every five minutes throughout Prime Day to encourage repeat visits, so check often to see new deals
- Get the app -- on July 6, Prime members will get a $10.00 discount code for signing into the Amazon App for the first time. It’s unknown if existing app users will also get the code, but it doesn’t hurt to try
- Insider trading -- Amazon has set up a Prime Day Insider Guide with tips on how to make the most of your membership and their schedule of events in the week leading up to Prime Day
- Update your information -- make sure your credit card and address information is up-to-date so your checkout process is quick and painless
Keep your eyes peel for more Prime Day news and don't forget to visit RedFlagDeals on July 11 -- we'll have roundups of all the hottest Prime Day deals. Happy shopping!