Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

WDTV Live network media player - $99.99 at Dell.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2011 11:56 am
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2639 posts
407 upvotes
Winnipeg
bonita! wrote: Sorry to forum crash but what makes this WDTV media converter better than the others? I want to purchase one but have no idea where to start. I don't need a fancy one but what makes the WDTV brand stand out? Should I buy this one or another will another brand suffice for my simple needs; watching a movie or watching youtube stuff on my tv?

Thanks for any input :o
i also wanted BASIC, stream movies from PC to TV, watch Youtube etc. WDTV was cheap, easy to setup, works as it should and comes from a reputable company.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1706 posts
354 upvotes
Was able to price match at best buy yesterday with newegg ... for 125 I guess you can't go wrong.

Hopefully I will be able to test it out tonight

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1197 posts
115 upvotes
brucered wrote: i also wanted BASIC, stream movies from PC to TV, watch Youtube etc. WDTV was cheap, easy to setup, works as it should and comes from a reputable company.
Thanks so much! Sounds good.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
the popbox is a stripped down popcorn c200. No wifi/no internal drive.But has the higher end sigma chip than wdtv(wdtv compete's more with realtek 1072dd/1283 chips).Here's the gui for popbox pretty nice.
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/29m4z8o.jpg[/IMG]
This littleguy wants a piece of the netflix action. Its going head to head with boxee they got a designer from microsoft do the gui. Wdtv gui isn't that great its bascially a tweaked sigma reference design. Like the o!plays just the basic realtek reference. They both need more. But the popbox saw the coin in netflix and not everyone is going to shell out 299 for the c200 and why let asus/wdtv/ac ryan/mede8er/hisense/Mvix Ultio/patriot/god a new one each day/ make a killing in the sub 150 price popcorn wants a piece now

Lets look at it this way theirs roughly 4 players for todays hd network players. Currently 1) realtek with the 1073dd and 1283 chips.The difference is 50mhz faster built for dvrs, other wise plays everything the other can meaning equal codec support for either chip.
2) sigma, 3 popular flavors 8635/8643-4/8653-5. Sigma has a strangle hold on its licensing so extra codec support= increase in price per box(no it won't come in the next firmware payed up front).

In 4-6 months each branded box will be more or less the exact same(features) with really only wifi and internal housing being the only real differences. Like the patriot is really no different than the mltivio or ac ryan or icy box give or take 3.5 inch support. Their are differences in price and patriot wins their but its only 2.5 inch support.

However,tomorrow or this year we'll see 2 new players

nvidia integra 2 arm chipped based series= possibly what the boxee will be.

intel ce3100 just entered the game is going after the highest end player competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssuBHqDts8
theirs also already a network player using it at a phenom price.

The funny thing their all linux based! So what one can do another can copy to a degree(the last 2 support 3d based apps,thats a whole level)
Nov 3, 2008
378 posts
24 upvotes
Alberta
if i purchase a compatible wireless usb adaptor, will it be able to detect my Telus wireless modem? Or do I have to purchase a new wireless modem as well?
Nov 18, 2009
21 posts
Toronto
Vinman wrote: I use a 500GB WD Passport Elite I bought at Costco and it runs perfect.
I use the same drive. Runs smooth and quiet. Looks good sitting on top of the WDTV Live too; same width, and curved in a similar fashion. I picked it up on sale a few days ago at Best Buy for $99.99. Unfortunately, the sale is over and it's selling again at regular price of $159.99.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1875 posts
576 upvotes
one_human wrote: I use the same drive. Runs smooth and quiet. Looks good sitting on top of the WDTV Live too; same width, and curved in a similar fashion. I picked it up on sale a few days ago at Best Buy for $99.99. Unfortunately, the sale is over and it's selling again at regular price of $159.99.
Does the WDTV Live power the hard drive down when it shuts off or does power continue to get supplied via the USB port?
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
Civuck wrote: Does the WDTV Live power the hard drive down when it shuts off or does power continue to get supplied via the USB port?
I am pretty sure the WDTV Live physically shuts down the attached drives, as mine needs 20-30 seconds upon startup to re-initialize the drives - compared to the original WDTV which would be "on/sleep" all the time and immediately restart the drive.
Aug 15, 2007
215 posts
12 upvotes
Kanata
one_human wrote: I use the same drive. Runs smooth and quiet. Looks good sitting on top of the WDTV Live too; same width, and curved in a similar fashion. I picked it up on sale a few days ago at Best Buy for $99.99. Unfortunately, the sale is over and it's selling again at regular price of $159.99.
You shouldn't put anything on top of the WDTV link...

[IMG]http://dl.maximumpc.com/galleries/wdtvl ... 8_full.jpg[/IMG]
Nov 18, 2009
21 posts
Toronto
4 rubBeR wrote: You shouldn't put anything on top of the WDTV link...

[IMG]http://dl.maximumpc.com/galleries/wdtvl ... _08_sm.jpg[/IMG]
Aw, but it looks so good sitting on top! It's just like the warning picture (although I have it lined up better). :razz:

Okay, thanks for the warning. Maybe if I sandwich a layer of something in between that won't directly pass heat from the WDTV to the drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
For the information I got so far,I will go for popbox for sure,hope it hits canadian market soon.I will get it right away.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
one_human wrote: Okay, thanks for the warning. Maybe if I sandwich a layer of something in between that won't directly pass heat from the WDTV to the drive.
I don't think that will help, as the picture is obviously warning you to give the WDTV Live! adequate ventilation space, not the HD (which could be any brand).
Sep 9, 2008
260 posts
6 upvotes
Trying to watch a movie with AC3 by only connecting HDMI cable to the TV, I only see picture but no sound, do I need another cable for this kind of movie?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deals_addict wrote: Trying to watch a movie with AC3 by only connecting HDMI cable to the TV, I only see picture but no sound, do I need another cable for this kind of movie?
I ran into a similar problem with my setup, except for me, I couldn't get sound when the movie is encoded in DTS. Movies in AC3 worked fine. I read somewhere that some TVs can't passthru DTS signals.

I ended up running a separate digital optical audio cable from the WDTV Live to my HT receiver for the audio.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1262 posts
316 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: I ran into a similar problem with my setup, except for me, I couldn't get sound when the movie is encoded in DTS. Movies in AC3 worked fine. I read somewhere that some TVs can't passthru DTS signals.

I ended up running a separate digital optical audio cable from the WDTV Live to my HT receiver for the audio.
do you still need optical cable if the receiver does dts?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sspikachu25 wrote: do you still need optical cable if the receiver does dts?
I should clarify... my receiver is old and does not have HDMI inputs. But it does decode DTS. I found that if I hook up my WDTV Live to my TV (LG 55LH90) via HDMI, then an digital optical audio cable from the TV to my receiver, I would not get audio when I played movies with DTS sound. So I suspect my TV cannot pass the DTS signal from HDMI to the digital optical audio output.

If I hook up the WDTV Live with my receiver using a digital optical audio cable, then I can get DTS sound.
Nov 18, 2009
21 posts
Toronto
Vinman wrote: I don't think that will help, as the picture is obviously warning you to give the WDTV Live! adequate ventilation space, not the HD (which could be any brand).
I'm not sure that's what it's telling you at all. It lets you know that the WDTV is capable of running very hot, and therefore you might overheat and damage something placed on top. I don't think placing something on top causes a ventilation issue for the WDTV as it has ventilation slots on both sides.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2639 posts
407 upvotes
Winnipeg
rvs007 wrote: I should clarify... my receiver is old and does not have HDMI inputs. But it does decode DTS. I found that if I hook up my WDTV Live to my TV (LG 55LH90) via HDMI, then an digital optical audio cable from the TV to my receiver, I would not get audio when I played movies with DTS sound. So I suspect my TV cannot pass the DTS signal from HDMI to the digital optical audio output.

If I hook up the WDTV Live with my receiver using a digital optical audio cable, then I can get DTS sound.
same setup as me. WDTV to TV via HDMI (for the video feed), then WDTV to RECEIVER via OPTICAL to receive DTS (receiver has DTS, but no HDMI).

works fine as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
brucered wrote: same setup as me. WDTV to TV via HDMI (for the video feed), then WDTV to RECEIVER via OPTICAL to receive DTS (receiver has DTS, but no HDMI).

works fine as well.
Ditto for me, as I expect a lot of people. Many people have perfectly able receivers from a few years ago that handle all the digital formats (except for the new HD ones), and don't have HDMI. As far as I am concerned, I don't see any reason to upgrade my receiver just to get HDMI input (that too, only the higher end ones can do real HDMI switching).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)