Computers & Electronics

Memory Stick Pro Duo (BEWARE OF FAKES - READ if u plan to buy a mspd)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2008 12:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
Narci wrote:PSP Forums

"i brought a 1gb sony pro duo memory stick and for sum reason it will only allow me to use 249MB ive formatted it in numerous psp's and on the pc but still nuffin changes. ive even copyd my friends 1GB memory card brains onto it to try and trick it into workin properly but that failed so if any1 can help please get back to me it will be much appreiceated"
See, now that is what I was thinking fakes would be like. Maybe the fakes are getting more complex that they actually function at 2gb. hmm...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
juched wrote:See, now that is what I was thinking fakes would be like. Maybe the fakes are getting more complex that they actually function at 2gb. hmm...
if you read on that site..i think it was...someome compared thier card to one of thier friends who also got it on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] and it had the exact same serial # on the back.

I bought a sandisk from a reputable retailer. Killed a USB key before on the first day I got it and i just went back and returned it for a new one.

Guess it's just too creepy to buy mem sticks/flash cards on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] these days.
Jan 11, 2006
117 posts
4 upvotes
Oakville
I read this thread after I bought a 2 GB sony memory stick off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink]. I just recieved it in the mail today and I think its one of the fake ones. The seller was from Canada, but it was shipped from China. The packaging also had the six dot seal as opposed to being fully sealed. I managed to slip my hands through the package and grab the memory stick, so the "retail" package still seems sealed. I'll start to complain to the seller if the memory stick starts screwing up on me.

I checked the capacity and it does say it's 2 GB... This is Day 1 and so far I've loaded over 1GB worth of data on it. I did the 'AVC on 1.5' tutorial from modsyn with success, loaded 2 ISOs (Lumines and NBA 06), loaded around 400 MBs of video and loaded an mp3 album. So far so good... I'll keep you guys posted. Wish me luck.
Jan 10, 2006
5 posts
bumboclott wrote:I read this thread after I bought a 2 GB sony memory stick off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]eBay[/rfdlink]. I just recieved it in the mail today and I think its one of the fake ones. The seller was from Canada, but it was shipped from China. The packaging also had the six dot seal as opposed to being fully sealed. I managed to slip my hands through the package and grab the memory stick, so the "retail" package still seems sealed. I'll start to complain to the seller if the memory stick starts screwing up on me.

I checked the capacity and it does say it's 2 GB... This is Day 1 and so far I've loaded over 1GB worth of data on it. I did the 'AVC on 1.5' tutorial from modsyn with success, loaded 2 ISOs (Lumines and NBA 06), loaded around 400 MBs of video and loaded an mp3 album. So far so good... I'll keep you guys posted. Wish me luck.
I've almost maxed it out so I know it's good to 2gigs. I guess I wasn't patient enough to slip it through the six points, I opened mine on two of them (always have bad luck opening plastic of that type, I cut my hands up...)

And as for the other post, you've confirmed that someone else had the same serial? Do you know what the number was? That's why I've posted mine on the forum...

I've found that this Chon Wai company is traded through China and has 10 employees, at least according to some chinese trade site or something... Half of it was in English and the other half had native characters. So I'm thinking that some of these cards may be of the lesser quality (maybe they never got stamped in the process and then Sony told them to take a hike with their inferior quality). Anyway, that's my analysis of the situation, if anyone else has a similar [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] experience with this tech_google or Chon Wai logo on their mem stick please let me know.

Right now I'm just waiting on the card to see if it fails, I try to load and unload the card 1-3 times a day.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
So far my 2GB card from yaton6262 on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] has not had any issues. I have added different videos and other homebrew and it hasn't failed yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Jan 7, 2006
5 posts
I also got my 2GB Pro Duo Highspeed in the mail today, mine arrived from H.K.
I have loaded this baby to the max and tried again and again to get it to fail or mess up, it has the etched in writing and all looks 100%
If thing happens to mess up in 6 months time I can still buy 3-4 of these for the price of one from the sony store, so in my words it was worth the big $80.50 USD I paid for it.
My two cents, if you want to pay $599.00 CAD for a 2 GB from the sony store and have the 3 year warranty go buy one, if you want to get one for $80.00 buy one from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]Ebay[/rfdlink]. As long as this thing works until the 4GB and the 8GB hit the shelves I can say I at least had a 2 GB before most people would even buy one because of these accusations.
I know they are some bad ones out there but remember you only tell your friends about your bad experiences you never tell them about your good ones...

Jr
Jan 11, 2006
117 posts
4 upvotes
Oakville
hey jrcactus, did the packaging have the six dot seal around the package? or were they long lines? also, what was the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] id of the seller? I just want to see if it's the same seller who sold me mine...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2660 posts
670 upvotes
GTA
those six dot seals jus seem too fake, the sandisk version, which i bought off RFD was sealed all around, really hard to open, had to use my keys jus to rip the packaging
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
blues45 wrote:those six dot seals jus seem too fake, the sandisk version, which i bought off RFD was sealed all around, really hard to open, had to use my keys jus to rip the packaging
Yeah..that's the reason why I bought a sandisk one too. 1GB though.

CC has it on thier webpage...a 2gb for $200. Not much more then the sony 2gb when factoring in shipping, duty, echange and taxes.

BTW, 'Highspeed' is usless for a PSP when your transferring through the PSP itself.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
jrcactus wrote: I know they are some bad ones out there but remember you only tell your friends about your bad experiences you never tell them about your good ones...

Jr
no, i recommend most things i find useful.

its fine to say "i'll use it until it fails" but thats not so fine to say when you have 2gb of pictures from a trip loaded and the card dies, thats not cool. failure for most people who use it for something other then pirating videogames is a big deal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
randomdef wrote:no, i recommend most things i find useful.

its fine to say "i'll use it until it fails" but thats not so fine to say when you have 2gb of pictures from a trip loaded and the card dies, thats not cool. failure for most people who use it for something other then pirating videogames is a big deal.
I agree..it's also the principle...

If they advertise that it's a real Sony 2gb card..I expect a real sony 2gb card.

It's ok to say it's a fake but to sell something that is fake as the real thing...it's wrong.
Banned
Dec 28, 2004
89 posts
there are so many fakes out there you mite as well jus buy it from a real store like walmart and futureshop wehre you can also get warranty instead of buying 1 and then it breaking
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
jrcactus wrote:I also got my 2GB Pro Duo Highspeed in the mail today, mine arrived from H.K.
I have loaded this baby to the max and tried again and again to get it to fail or mess up, it has the etched in writing and all looks 100%
If thing happens to mess up in 6 months time I can still buy 3-4 of these for the price of one from the sony store, so in my words it was worth the big $80.50 USD I paid for it.
My two cents, if you want to pay $599.00 CAD for a 2 GB from the sony store and have the 3 year warranty go buy one, if you want to get one for $80.00 buy one from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]Ebay[/rfdlink]. As long as this thing works until the 4GB and the 8GB hit the shelves I can say I at least had a 2 GB before most people would even buy one because of these accusations.
I know they are some bad ones out there but remember you only tell your friends about your bad experiences you never tell them about your good ones...

Jr
From the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=313]sonystyle.ca[/rfdlink] site i read that the memory sticks only have 12 months, not 3 years.
Jan 11, 2006
117 posts
4 upvotes
Oakville
juched, maybe our sticks are real afterall. Or maybe they're just good quality fakes. haha... all I know is that i've been transfering crazy amounts of data on this memory stick and it still hasn't bricked on me. Hows yours doing?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
bumboclott wrote:juched, maybe our sticks are real afterall. Or maybe they're just good quality fakes. haha... all I know is that i've been transfering crazy amounts of data on this memory stick and it still hasn't bricked on me. Hows yours doing?
I too have moved movies and other files on over and over and it has not had any issues at all.
Jan 7, 2006
5 posts
randomdef wrote:no, i recommend most things i find useful.

Funny you say pirating video games, I actually use mine in my sony phone for pirated music not video games ;)
If your trip is 2GB of pictures you better do a back-up on a laptop each evening, not only can your Memory card fail but you may loose your camer or get it stolen or even drop it in the pool when your trying to take a pic of that hot chick across the pool. :idea:
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
It is confirmed, some Sony MS Duos do NOT sell with adaptors.

In Hong Kong, I went up to the Sony Customer Service centre in Mong Kok, and its a REAL Sony centre, selling reall stuff. All their MS Duo's do not come with adaptors. Adaptors sold separately at $50 HK dollars.
Mar 11, 2003
588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
using pirated sticks for pirated games and pirated music~~

wonder why china makes pirated popstation PSPs and fake w800is....
and ppl complain about their ethics...

...there is a market for them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
rfdrfd wrote:It is confirmed, some Sony MS Duos do NOT sell with adaptors.

In Hong Kong, I went up to the Sony Customer Service centre in Mong Kok, and its a REAL Sony centre, selling reall stuff. All their MS Duo's do not come with adaptors. Adaptors sold separately at $50 HK dollars.
You should specifiy that Asian Market Duo's do not come with an Adaptor then. US market does.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1250 posts
214 upvotes
Waterloo
rfdrfd wrote:It is confirmed, some Sony MS Duos do NOT sell with adaptors.

Did the packaging have 6 connection points? Or was it sealed all the way around?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)