Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

MagicJack from the source!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2010 1:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
nitro0610 wrote: Well, I live in scarborough and I signed on to Acanac 2 yrs ago and I have to say it was one of the worst ISP I've had EVER!! The speed was terrible at 1mbps and many times below that....not to mentio it disconnects itself many times a week!!

However, my friends in mississauga who also signed on with Acanac are telling me that they're getting great reception and such~

The rep told me that I'm at the boundary of their central tower and that's why I'm getting a crappy bandwidth!! @_@

anyway, not sure about techsavvy but I would assume similar situation will happen to me in scarborough.....

Are there any ways to free up throttling of traffic or is it something Rogers are doing internally??
I have 2 lines with teksavvy in mlppp. I have no throttling or traffic shaping. I get a solid 12mbps down/1mbps up. I would imagine that I won't have any internet related connection issues with the magicjack whatsoever. I live across the street from the dsl building.

With any dsl connection if you are too far away from the central building you will have poor connection. They should be downgrading you to a stable connection speed in that case.

If you use Bell or Rogers you are under their traffic shaping mercy. You may or may not be affected. Its a real shame not to know what service you are getting until you actually commit to having it set up. Once its set up, their CS will tell you that there is no such thing as traffic shaping or throttling. Its complete BS. The CRTC should be shot.

We are being hindered of good reliable progressive service so that bell and rogers can make more money off of us. We are ranked 30th in the world for isp speed... mexico is 31st. Yet our government allows this. We used to be amongset the top 5 countries with top speed. I guess capitalism isn't so great. :\

Sorry for the rant. I'll letcha guys know if I get a successful PM at my local thesource store.
Jan 1, 2007
107 posts
9 upvotes
for 42.99 + Tax, they did have couple more, when I registered I had a chance to pick Canadian number, I have noticed that Toronto numbers were not available, almost picked Oakville number, then I realized it would be LD.
tried again 5 min. later and found one Toronto number grabbed it.

I think they have shortage of Toronto numbers but obviously they will be getting more.

BTW, $10 more for Canadian number and what is interesting it is $10 more for the 5 years extension as well.

Good Luck guys.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2009
2004 posts
155 upvotes
Richmond, BC
In case of a major emergency, you guys would rather pay that extra $ for a land line than a internet base phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1926 posts
87 upvotes
I just picked up my crappy 6 year old hidden-away brink nokia phone, turned it on and made a successfull 911 call.

Point im trying to make here is 2 things, you dont need a working phone to make an emergency phone call, and secondly why are people caught up on this 911 feature thats not available on the MJ??

Like i said, u can use a dead celly to make a 911 call, or have one laying around beside the MJ if u ever need to make a 911 call.
Sep 19, 2007
692 posts
200 upvotes
ur_funneh wrote: I just picked up my crappy 6 year old hidden-away brink nokia phone, turned it on and made a successfull 911 call.

Point im trying to make here is 2 things, you dont need a working phone to make an emergency phone call, and secondly why are people caught up on this 911 feature thats not available on the MJ??

Like i said, u can use a dead celly to make a 911 call, or have one laying around beside the MJ if u ever need to make a 911 call.
So true. You can even pickup a cheap prepaid phone and keep it at home in case you do need to make an emergency call. I think in do time home lines will become obsolete in the future, who knows?

I ordered Mj and set it up, so far so good, calls are all clear, I'm having them forwarded to my home line. I haven't canceled my home line yet because I want to get used to the Mj first, hopefully the quality continues to be good.

The savings are huge with this thing too. $49.99 a year for a Canadian number with unlimited long distance. Can't beat it, unless bell/rogers prices matches lol. Right now I'm paying about $60 month for unlimited LD calling and 2 calling features with Bell.
Jun 19, 2009
547 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Just a tip for anyone calling a Call centre, and needs to press number buttons for the menu system. (eg: "dial 3 for tech support", "dial 9 to speak to a representative" kind of systems).

Took me a while to figure out, but very frustrating after I made two calls to one with 20minute plus wait times.

The operators who picked up on two different call center occasions, could not hear me talking after I'd pressed the # buttons to get to them, on my phone's handset itself.

If you are calling a call center that needs # tones to navigate, make sure to use the Magicjacks GUI on screen to do that, so when you finally reach an operator, they can hear you and won't hang up.

PS: might be phone specific. This was on a Panasonic DECT
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2827 posts
989 upvotes
GTA
It says connect any phone to it can i plug my base cordless to it then my other cordless extensions will work too?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
dnyc wrote: It says connect any phone to it can i plug my base cordless to it then my other cordless extensions will work too?
Yes.
Sep 27, 2007
110 posts
2 upvotes
Does this MJ support an answering machine?

And how do you forward the callls to your cell phone withe the computer off?
Nov 23, 2007
651 posts
27 upvotes
Scarborough
mehhere wrote: Does this MJ support an answering machine?

And how do you forward the callls to your cell phone withe the computer off?
on the magicjack menu....go to "my magicjack" and log in....there you will see an option for you to call forward. Type in the number you want to forward and it'll just forward whatever calls when the computer or MJ is not on.

very nice feature indeed.....I use it when nobody's home and forward to my celly~
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
Successfuly price matched the factorydirect price at thesource ($39.99+tax). Great deal and no shipping cost to me!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Be careful when activating this thing. I let it pick a US number for me since all the Montreal numbers were gone, and now they wont let me switch to another one.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2006
1187 posts
57 upvotes
Delhi
well, they will let you switch, just not for free right? you can always switch #'s can't you?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes
Questions

1. Compared to skype how is this different??
2. I had skype and the quality was awful at times. How is the quality of this service??
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
a50snake wrote: well, they will let you switch, just not for free right? you can always switch #'s can't you?
I can switch to another US number for free. I can't switch back to a Canadian number at all.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1718 posts
285 upvotes
Brampton
You guys should try FreePhoneLine.ca ... I've been using it for 8 months now. Totally free calls across Canada. Haven't paid a cent for my phone in 8 months and haven't had any big problems yet. Any small problems I encounter, their tech support team clears up pretty damn quickly -- oh and NO off-shore phone support during regular working hours. It was a one-time cost of $50 for the configuration details and anywhere from $30-$50 for a decent ATA (check out Craigslist, Kijiji or eBay). So basically a one-time cost of $100 and you have free phone for life :D

With the ATA, you can connect one of those phone sets that has one master base and the rest feed off the master ... you can set up your entire house, and depending on the ATA device you buy, you can get two phone numbers. And they have Canadian numbers! All free!
adamm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
i have family that use a MJ it works great they also have a land line. I'm going to pick up a few next time im in the US.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Majicjack has an ugly EULA.

http://www.themagicjack.ca/magicjackorder.php

11. Advertisements
You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements. Advertisements will be served through the magicPage™ Software or the magicJack softphone – the software/softphone attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers and your registration information you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads.

24. Choice of Law; Binding Arbitration; Forum
This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida, without giving effect to its conflict of laws provisions or your actual state or country of residence. Any claims, legal proceeding or litigation arising in connection with the magicJack device or Software will be resolved by binding arbitration. The arbitration shall be administered in accordance with the then current Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any matter to be settled by arbitration shall be submitted to the American Arbitration Association in Palm Beach, Florida, and you consent to binding arbitration in Palm Beach, Florida.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)