Back to School
If you’re a student, you’ve probably considered getting a MacBook for school, but you may have balked when you looked at the prices in the Apple Store.
MacBook pricing starts at $1199.00 and that’s just for the baseline MacBook Air. If you wanted a super-slim MacBook or a MacBook Pro, the starting price jumps to $1729.00 and can be as high as $5379.00 for a top-of-the-line 15-inch MacBook Pro.
Luckily, Apple does offer education pricing through the Apple Store for Higher Education. When shopping online, you’ll see the education store banner across the top of the web page. Education pricing is also available in all Apple Stores -- simply tell an employee that you’re a student.
Student discounts vary depending on the product and get more substantial with custom built-to-order configurations. All Mac and iPad models are eligible for education pricing and we’ve listed the discounts for all products below.
- iMac, 21.5-inch -- up to $140.00 off standard models, up to $320.00 off built-to-order models
- iMac, 27-inch -- up to $270.00 off standard models, up to $630.00 off built-to-order models
- Mac mini -- $20.00 off standard models, up to $140.00 off built-to-order models
- Mac Pro -- up to $350.00 off standard models, up to $710.00 off built-to-order models
- MacBook -- $70.00 off standard models, up to $112.00 off built-to-order models
- MacBook Air -- $70.00 off standard models, up to $88.00 off built-to-order models
- MacBook Pro, 13-inch -- up to $140.00 off standard models, up to $200.00 off built-to-order models
- MacBook Pro, 15-inch -- up to $270.00 off standard models, up to $438.00 off built-to-order models
- iPad -- $20.00 off all models
- iPad mini 4 -- $20.00 off all models
- iPad Pro -- $30.00 off all models
A Pro Apps software bundle is also available exclusively to education shoppers and includes Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4 and MainStage 3. The bundle costs $259.99 and is worth a total value of $859.95 if bought separately.
Other Apple products including Apple TV, Apple Watch, iPhone, gift cards and accessories are not eligible for discounts, but can be purchased through the Apple Store for Higher Education.
Post-secondary students, parents, as well as teachers and staff at all education levels can shop in the Apple Store for Higher Education -- click here to view the sales policies. The online store uses an honour system and you do not need to provide proof of eligibility, but shoppers may be audited by Apple after purchase. In-store shoppers are required to provide proof of eligibility at checkout.
Student discounts and pricing in this article were last updated August 2017.