Apple quietly updated their product lineup today and unveiled some new products including a brand-new 9.7” iPad, a special edition iPhone 7/7 Plus and made storage configuration updates to some other products.
Breaking from tradition, Apple made the new product announcements via press release instead of a keynote address. All of the new products are viewable now at the Apple Store and we have everything you need to know about Apple’s shiny new gadgets.
Apple finally introduced a successor to the three-year-old iPad Air 2 with a brand-new seventh-generation model, simply named iPad. The design is identical to the previous generation, but it is slightly thicker and heavier, coming in at just over one pound.
The new iPad is more powerful and includes an Apple A9 processor (the same processor found in the iPhone 6s) along with a brighter 9.7" Retina display. Otherwise, it keeps the same set of specs from the previous generation, including an 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera, two speakers, Touch ID, 802.11AC Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Most notably, the starting price has been lowered -- the new iPad starts at $449.00 (previously $499.00) and is available in Space Grey, Silver or Gold with 32GB or 128GB capacities and Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular connectivity options. Apple will begin taking orders at 8:01 AM PST (11:01 AM EST) on March 24.
New special edition iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models were also unveiled, which feature a vibrant red exterior to support (PRODUCT)RED. Apple has partnered with (RED) for 10 years and donates a portion of all (PRODUCT)RED sales to help to support HIV/AIDS prevention programs.
The new phones are functionally identical to the existing iPhone 7 and 7 Plus -- same design, same display, same cameras, same processor, same accessories, same lack of a headphone jack.
The special edition iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are only available in 128GB or 256GB capacities and priced the same as the standard colours, starting at $1029.00 for the iPhone 7 and $1179.00 for the iPhone 7 Plus. Apple will begin taking orders at 8:01 AM PST (11:01 AM EST) on March 24.
- iPad mini 4 is now only available in a 128GB capacity and saw a price cut, as it now starts at $549.00 (previously $599.00) with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular connectivity options
- iPhone SE had its storage capacities doubled and is now available in 32GB and 128GB capacities (previously 16GB and 64GB) with no price changes
- New Apple Watch Bands are available, with new colours for the Sport, Woven Nylon, Leather and Hermès Leather Bands. Nike Sport Bands are also available as a standalone accessory for the first time
- New iPad Smart Covers are available for the new iPad in five colours
- New Silicone and Leather Cases are available for the iPhone SE, 7 and 7 Plus, with new colours including Azure, Taupe, Sapphire and more
- Clips, a new video creation app for iOS, was introduced. The app lets you easily create short video clips with overlays including filters, emoji, text and music, which you can then upload onto various social media platforms
With the new iPad announcement, now is the ideal time for shoppers to buy one if you've been looking to buy an iPad. On the other hand, if you've purchased an iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 4 recently, it may be worthwhile to see if you can return it or get a refund, since the new products are priced less than before.