At the time of collection of your personal information, the Companies will identify the purpose(s) for which your information is being collected. Depending on the identified purpose(s), the Companies collect personal information that may include:
- Contact information, which typically includes your name, street address, postal code, telephone number, fax number and email address. However, the name, address, postal code and telephone number that appear in publicly available telephone directories do not fall under the scope of "personal information".
- Financial information, which may include your credit record, credit card number, credit card expiry date, banking information and other information regarding account payment history and status.
- Business information, which typically includes business contact information such as name, telephone number, fax number, email address and street address. However, this information is only protected by this policy to the extent that it is considered personal information under applicable legislation.
- Computer information, which may include your Internet Protocol address, the type of operating system and browser you use, and your computer's location. We make no attempt, however, to link this information to the identity of individuals visiting our Websites. In addition, we may also collect information regarding the pages you visit on our Website, the links you click on, and the other Websites you've visited recently.
- Other information, which may include information you provided to participate in one of our contests or surveys, or when you subscribe to receive information from a Website operated by the Companies, which information typically includes contact information, outlined above. In addition, if you choose to sign into the yellowpages.ca Website using Single Sign On or Facebook Connect, the Companies may also collect certain personal information that you may provide by participating in these services such as name, email address, date of birth/age, gender, purchase history, product/service preferences, customer satisfaction information, opinions about products and services, interests and hobbies. We may also collect information about you if you submit a posting to a blog, forum, rating or review, or register for services. If you would like to view the information we have collected about you, or edit it in any way, please click on your Account Settings.
The collection of your personal information is limited to that which is necessary for the specific purpose(s) we identify upon the collection of such information
The personal information we collect is primarily obtained from you, however we also collect contact information from our affiliates and various third parties, such as telecommunications companies who provide you with telecommunications services, as well as credit bureau and reporting agencies, who provide us with business and credit related information.
The Purposes for the Collection of Personal Information:
The Companies will generally collect and use personal information for the following purposes:
- To evaluate and fulfill a request for our products, programs and services;
- To enable you to obtain directory advertising for publication purposes or for posting on our Websites, such as yellowpages.ca, trader.ca, Canada411.ca, PagesJaunes.ca, CanadaPlus.ca and related Websites.
- To prepare and produce advertising to be posted in our directories, on third party search engines and on our partners' Websites and to post such advertising;
- To administer participation in contests, promotions and reward programs that we offer, to evaluate and analyze responses to surveys we conduct and to understand our customers’ responses, needs and preferences;
- For the distribution of our directories;
- To respond to inquiries for information about the Companies and the services we provide and to respond to and settle customer requests;
- To ascertain and verify creditworthiness and share credit information with credit rating agencies;
- To administer, service and collect on accounts;
- To process requests for the removal or correction of information from our files;
- For customer relationship management purposes and to generally manage our business;
- To better understand our customers’ or suppliers’ needs and how we may improve our products and services;
- For marketing purposes;
- To contact customers or suppliers with marketing or promotional materials regarding our products, programs and services, and to provide tailored sales offers to our customers. We may exchange or merge personal information with data obtained from third parties for the same purposes. If you do not want us to use your contact information for marketing purposes, you should exercise your option to opt out of this use by indicating your wishes by contacting email@example.com; and
- To meet legal, regulatory, security and processing requirements, and otherwise as required by law.
The Manner of Collection
The Companies do not automatically gather personal information from individuals who visit the Companies' Websites. Such information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily. You should, however, be aware that when you share personal information in public areas on our Websites, this information may be seen and used by other users of our Websites. We urge all users of our Websites to exercise good judgment when sharing personal information in these public areas. Additionally, you are not required to provide any personal information in order to have access to the Companies' Website.
The manners in which the Companies may collect your information online are:
- By using software that receives and records information about your computer, including the Internet Protocol address of the computer that has contacted our Websites. We, however, will not link these addresses with the identity of the individuals visiting our Websites.
- By using cookies to track user traffic patterns. A cookie is a small data file that certain Websites write to your hard drive when you visit them. A cookie file can contain information such as a user ID that the site uses to track the pages you have visited, but the only personal information a cookie can contain is information you supply yourself. A cookie cannot read data from your hard disk or read cookie files created by other Websites. The Companies do not correlate this information with data about individual users, nor does it share this information or sell it to third parties. We may use this data to tailor your experience on our Websites, by showing you content that we think you may be interested in, and displaying content according to your preferences, or to measure your use of our Websites and to improve the content of our Web sites. If you prefer not to receive cookies from our Websites, you can set your browser to warn you before accepting cookies and refuse the cookie when your browser alerts you to its presence. You can also refuse all cookies by turning them off in your browser. Please be advised, however, that this may affect the areas of the Websites that are accessible to you or your browsing experience.
- By using service providers to serve third party advertisements on our Websites or the Companies' advertisements on other Websites. In serving advertisements these providers may place cookies on your computer and may collect certain anonymous information about your visits to other Websites or on our Websites. This information may include browser type, Internet Protocol address, domain name and the address of the web page from which you entered our Websites, Web activity and time of day. This information is used to better understand and optimize our online advertising campaigns. From time to time, we analyze traffic patterns on our Websites to determine which features and services are preferred so that we can improve our services. To opt-out of these cookies please review the privacy policies of these particular Websites and follow the opt-out instructions. We prepare aggregated user statistics or information summaries in order to describe our services to third parties such as prospective business partners and advertisers and for other lawful purposes.
Sharing of Personal Information with Third Parties
Prior to collecting your personal information, we will ensure that we have your consent to collect, use and disclose your information for a particular purpose. Once your consent is obtained, your personal information will be used solely for the purposes for which you consented. In the event that we wish to use your personal information for another purpose, we will seek your consent once again.
When you provide us with personal information to complete a sale or other transaction, or to verify your credit, we assume you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask you for personal information for a secondary reason, for example for marketing purposes, we will either ask you directly for your consent or provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of the collection of your information. By opting out, you can tell us not to collect the information and/or not to share it with other companies. The Companies Websites provide you with the opportunity to opt-out at each point that your contact information is requested. You also have the ongoing option to remove your contact information from our database in the future if you do not wish to receive future communications or services offered through our Websites. Additionally, you may also choose to withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your consent may only be withdrawn subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
In addition, where permitted or required by law, we may collect, use or disclose your personal information without your express consent, for example, to collect a debt you owe us, to comply with a legally permitted inquiry by a government agency, or to comply with a court order.
You are not required to supply personal information in order to view the content of any of the Companies' Websites. If you decide not to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, no material consequences will result, unless such information is necessary for the completion of a transaction or for a particular service, such as your participation in a contest.
The Companies take all the necessary safeguards to protect the personal information you supply us.Employee Access to Customer Information
Employee access to your personal information is strictly limited to those who have a need to know. Employees only have access to information that is necessary to process transactions as part of their job requirements.Storage of Personal Information
The Companies collect certain information in paper files, such as: name, street address, postal code, phone number, email address, credit card number, credit card expiry date, banking information and credit record. In order to protect these files, the Companies place them in a locked cabinet or a restricted area.Electronic Files
The Companies collect certain information in electronic files, such as: name, street address, postal code, phone number, email address, date of birth/age, gender, online behaviour, purchase history, product/service preferences, customer satisfaction information, opinions about products and services and interests and hobbies. The Companies have enacted technological safeguards to ensure the protection of your personal information in electronic format, such as: computer passwords, firewalls, encrypted data files, encrypted personal information, and electronic audit trails. Additionally, laptops, USB keys and electronic wireless devices that have the capacity to store a large quantity of customer information are password protected and only accessible strictly to a limited number of employees who have a need to know this information.
Where practicable, the Companies ensure that the information they possess about you is not identifiable. This is accomplished by storing the information that clearly identifies you, such as your surname, on a separate database from the one that contains the information that is not personally identifiable, such as your age or sex. Moreover, the information contained on the server which contains personally identifiable information is only accessible to a limited number of employees.
Third Pary Websites
If links are provided from our Websites to Websites of third parties, the Companies take no responsibility for these third party Websites and the manner in which these sites collect, use and disclose your personal information. The Companies do not endorse, in any manner whatsoever, or accept any responsibility for the information, content or other material which may be contained on third party Websites. We therefore encourage you to review the privacy policies of these Websites before disclosing your information to any third party Website.
The Companies do not retain your personal information for any longer than is strictly necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
Access and Accuracy
We do our best to keep files containing personal information as complete, up-to-date and accurate as necessary for the identified purpose(s). Upon written request, the Companies will provide you with access to your personal information, subject to certain exceptions as provided by the applicable legislation. If you notice any errors or omissions in your personal information, please advise us in writing and we will promptly correct such errors where appropriate.
We reserve the right to change and update this Policy, including as may be required by law. We encourage you to review our policy from time to time to ensure that you are aware of any changes we may have made.
The Companies would be pleased to answer any questions you may have about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. If you would like more information about our policy, or if you would like to access your personal information file, or if you wish to register a complaint, please contact:Privacy Officer
16 Place du Commerce
Ile des Coeurs
Verdun, Quebec H3E 2A5
You may also contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada for assistance between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm EST, at:
- Toll-free: 1-800-282-1376
- Telephone: (613) 995-8210
- Fax: (613) 947-6850
- TTY: (613) 992-9190
or by mail at:112 Kent Street
Place de Ville
Tower B, 3rd Floor
or on the Web at:
You may also contact your Provincial or Territorial Privacy Commissioner's office for more information:
AlbertaOffice of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
410, 9925 - 109 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2J8
Telephone: (780) 422-6860
Toll Free: 1-888-878-4044
British ColombiaInformation and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia
756, Fort Road, 3rd Floor
C.P. 9038, Station Prov. Gouv.
Victoria, British Columbia V8W 9A4
Telephone : (250) 387-5629
Toll Free: 1 (800) 663-7867 (toll free in British Columbia)
New BrunswickOffice of the Ombudsman
P. O. Box 6000
767 Brunswick Street
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: (506) 453-2789
Newfoundland and LabradorOffice of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for Newfoundland and Labrador
2nd floor, 34 Pippy Place
P.O. Box 13004, Station A
St. John's, NL A1B 3V8
Telephone: (709) 729-6309
Northwest TerritoriesInformation and Privacy Commissioner of the Northwest Territories
5018, 47th street
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2N2
Telephone: (867) 669-0976
Fax: (867) 920-2511
Nova ScotiaNova Scotia Freedom of Information and Privacy Review Office
P.O. Box 181
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2M4
Telephone: (902) 424-4684
NunavutInformation and Privacy Commissioner of Nunavut
5018, 47th street
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2N2
Telephone: (867) 669-0976
Fax: (867) 920-2511
OntarioOffice of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Telephone: (416) 326-3333
Toll-free: 1 (800) 387-0073 (free within Ontario)
Prince Edward IslandOffice of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Prince Edward Island
180 Richmond Street
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4099
QuébecCommission d'accès à l'information du Québec
575 St. Amable Street
Québec, Québec G1R 2G4
Telephone: (418) 528-7741
Toll-free: 1 (888) 528-7741 (free within Québec)
SaskatchewanOffice of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Saskatchewan
503-1801 Hamilton Street
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 4B4
Telephone: (306) 787-8350
YukonOffice of the Yukon Ombudsman and Information and Privacy Commissioner
211 Hawkins Street, Suite 201
P.O. Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory Y1A 2C6
Telephone: (867) 667-8468