Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bell

Yak 10Mbps unl DSL + home phone +400 LD mins+5 call ftrs: $59.90. K-W Barrie Only

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2011 8:58 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6784 posts
2098 upvotes

[Bell] Yak 10Mbps unl DSL + home phone +400 LD mins+5 call ftrs: $59.90. K-W Barrie Only

UPDATE 2
Apparently, according to their site, this Yak service is now available in Barrie.

UPDATE
I now have the 10 mbps service up and running as of Saturday. So far things are performing as advertised. Here's my maximum Speedtest:

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/756373999.png[/IMG]

My typical is around 10 mbps. I'm also enjoying non-throttled torrents running at 1 MB/s download and downloaded 6GB from newsgroups in 1 hour 38 mins.

To re-cap, here's how the order went. FYI, both my internet and phone line were previously with Teksavvy.
  • March 7th - Called to order Yak. Was initially told I would be switched by the 17th.
  • March 16th - Called Yak CS to ask about billing options, and they updated my switch date to the 19th.
  • March 19th - Noticed that phone line had been switched that morning as I now had called ID. Called tech support to get my DSL login and password and was told that it takes a few more days to get DSL service after the phone line has been switched.
  • March 20th - Noticed that my DSL light was on the modem. Called tech support again and they said that my login and password had just been setup that morning, so I entered it into my router and was connected. So, from 1st call to full setup in 13 days.
Original post
I accidently found out about Yak's new promo running for the Kitchener Waterloo area after I stumbled on this thread on DSL Reports.

For $59.90 you get:
  • 10 Mbps speed (DSL)
  • Home phone (not VOIP)
  • 5 phone line features
  • 400 Can / US mins included
  • NO download limits
  • NO throttling
  • NO contract
  • NO usage based billing
I'm currently with Teksavvy (very sad to leave such a great ISP, but at the end of the day I'm a RFD'er) but have ordered the Yak service and I should get it on the 19th. Yak have invested in new DSLAM's so they not using Bell / Teksavvy's regular DSL service which to my house currently maxes out at ~525 kbps. This is also why Yak are using a smaller area in which to test their new equipment.

Finally, just by chance my wife found their flyer in the mail today. Here it is:

[IMG]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7430/yake.jpg[/IMG]
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
595 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1956 posts
368 upvotes
Kitchener
:)

Yeah that's my post downloading from Apple trailers. I've had the service for about 2 weeks now and am loving these speeds. And not having to worry about BS caps and overage charges is a thing of beauty, not to mention no throttling at all.

Great experience so far.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6784 posts
2098 upvotes
X-Nemesis wrote: :)

Yeah that's my post downloading from Apple trailers. I've had the service for about 2 weeks now and am loving these speeds. And not having to worry about BS caps and overage charges is a thing of beauty, not to mention no throttling at all.

Great experience so far.
LOL! Didn't realize you were on here too Nemesis! Glad to hear you're happy with the service. Hope you didn't mind me posting your screen shot. Hopefully my switch over is painless.

Are you still getting those great speeds?
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2004
1245 posts
98 upvotes
I miss having unlimited so much but I'm on 50Mbps. I'd prefer to be on 10Mbps with unlimited bandwidth to be honest. Do you know if it is really unlimited? Most of the time unlimited isn't really unlimited.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1956 posts
368 upvotes
Kitchener
No problems...yep I'm still getting those great speeds. Currently dl'ing @ almost 1900kb/s. Will be curious to see if Yak will offer even higher speed options in the future. Enjoy your new setup and hopefully it's as good if not better than mine.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1077 posts
131 upvotes
i THINK I may sign up early next week.....thats really worth the price. even their regular price's aren't crazy........wonder how the service is?
Dec 23, 2006
355 posts
69 upvotes
What is the upload speed?

Do you have to get the home phone or can you get dry loop?

This is very interesting looks like I may have to switch, conflicted as I don't really want to leave Tek.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6464 posts
458 upvotes
Scarborough
do you have to get both or can you just opt for the interent?
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12589 posts
2998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This looks pretty hot. Time to ditch Bell telephone and unfortunately Teksavvy DSL?

Anyone know the upload speed for this offer?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm even the non-promo price is cheaper then unlimited on teksavvy for Toronto

36.95 vs 39.95

I'm very tempted i'm wondering if the Toronto one will be no throttling as well.
Apr 21, 2003
655 posts
52 upvotes
Unlimited Downloads and besides that its usage base billing?

isn't that contradictory?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9950 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
numb555 wrote: Unlimited Downloads and besides that its usage base billing?

I read "no usage base billing"
Aug 26, 2007
119 posts
76 upvotes
Unlimited Downloads
No-usage base billing
numb555 wrote: isn't that contradictory?
They are the same thing.

as for the deal, too bad i'm on here for school terms, or else i would of picked it. tired of rogers b.s.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4311 posts
443 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
first they want to be our phone company, now Internet?

kay, maybe anything is better than rogers...
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
numb555 wrote: Unlimited Downloads and besides that its usage base billing?

I believe thats just a printing error
Their flyer seems to have the correct words
"No usage based billing"
Scroll up to see pic
Mar 14, 2008
379 posts
177 upvotes
1.9MB/s is even more than the advertised 10mbps, more like 15mbps nice!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1396 posts
141 upvotes
I'm switching over as soon as the service comes to the GTA.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7384 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
Wow, I am going to ditch my grandfathered Bell account (unlimited bandwidth) for this :)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1797 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
wow that's awesome I hope it reaches GTA soon.

one question: does it still come through regular copper phone lines and used with same dsl modem?

Bell's Fibe network is not available in my area yet :cry:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)