Shopping Discussion

Locked: Staples holds item for 24hrs for refund?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2007 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto

Staples holds item for 24hrs for refund?

K. I just bought the Acer 5520. Though learning about the sale in this post
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=526533

So reading the replies, some got the GeForce 7000M and not the 7700M.

So i decided to take my chances and buy the laptop.

I open it on the bus, didnt even power it on, and i saw the 7000M sticker.

So i decided to return it right away, while theres a staples i pass on my way home.

I return such laptop, with the exact reason "the website says the videocard is a 7700, and the sticker on the laptop says it's a 7000. And the guy at staples says he needs to check it as there's a "24hr hold" and it'll take 10 mins so he can give me my money back right away.

He take the laptop to the back and checks it.
Returns saying it doesnt work.

I told him i didnt even power it on so how would i know it doesnt work?

Dude told me to fill out some form...
he filled in the reason "not wanted" (wtf?)

So now they have my money, my laptop... and i have the reciept.

Dude told me to return tomorrow before 6 as they close at 6.

So any insights how am i going to get my money back?
Because he said the laptop doesnt work.

But how would i f****** know?
I never even powered it on...
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
59 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2476 posts
201 upvotes
kay188 wrote: I return such laptop, and the guy at staples says he needs to check it as there's a "24hr hold" and it'll take 10 mins so he can give me my money back right away.
So it'll take 10 minutes to check and he can give you your money back right away, yet he has to hold it for 24-hours? How does that make sense? Why does he have to check it in the back? Why can't he check it there, how do you know, he doesn't break it or something.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly what i was thinking.

And i'm just saying what he said.

Said it like "we have a 24hr hold policy, but just give me 15 min or so, to check it, and i can give you your refund"

So how would i know the guy didnt break it?
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2476 posts
201 upvotes
kay188 wrote: "we have a 24hr hold policy, but just give me 15 min or so, to check it, and i can give you your refund"
That makes no sense. After checking for 15mins "can give you your refund", then why do they need to hold it for 24hours? Hold would mean, they let it sit there right? So how would it break... and even if it did, wouldn't it be their fault?

EDIT: I once bought a laptop from Staples, didn't like it, got super hot and laggy, maybe cause of all the bloatware that came with it? Anyway, I took it back, they turned it on, checked it over in front of me, right there at the customer service desk, not some BS about taking it to the back or anything and gave me a full refund on the spot. I wonder if this hold policy is actually true or if the CSR is just screwing with you...

EDIT 2: What if you go back and they have no idea who you are, and the guy walked with the system tonight (as he may not be working tomorrow). I looked on staples.ca and staples.com and can't find anything regarding a hold period.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/static ... cy_returns
http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/help ... olicy.html
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
You're braver than me trusting Stooples with your money and the computer while you go home with a worthless piece of paper...
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2476 posts
201 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: You're braver than me trusting Stooples with your money and the computer while you go home with a worthless piece of paper...
+1

CSR could take parts, break parts, take laptop... etc.

Does this policy actually exist?

But I don't get it, what if you actually buy a defective unit for some reason, they'll refuse refund since the thing doesn't work after their "hold policy"?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly. What if i was unlucky that i bought a defective laptop that was like missing stuff or something?

Would that be my fault then?

As i clearly stated i never even turned the laptop on. So how would i know that it was "not broken" in the first place?
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Dec 31, 1969
That is not policy and is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion.

If the laptop battery wasn't charged yet why would you expect it to power on anyway?

"Dude told me to return tomorrow before 6 as they close at 6." You should have told the "Dude", uh no, return my money now.

The reason they wanted to take it into the back and check it is because there are a lot of people that swap parts etc in systems. 10 minutes to check out the laptop is reasonable in my opinion but 24 hours isn't.

No offense, but you are crazy for letting them tell you there is a 24-hour hold on anything. That is against the return policy that is clearly written on every receipt and posted in-store.

Phone the General Manager as soon as possible, explain the situation, and that you want your money back. Only speak with the General Manager about this, be assertive but calm. I would recommend not shopping at Staples anymore either, at least that store in particular...

File a complaint with Staples head office about this afterwards, this should never happen to anyone.
Dec 31, 1969
kay188 wrote: Exactly. What if i was unlucky that i bought a defective laptop that was like missing stuff or something?

Would that be my fault then?

As i clearly stated i never even turned the laptop on. So how would i know that it was "not broken" in the first place?
You have really put yourself in a tough position. They have custody of the item now, it should be ok but wow, scary. Cross your fingers that the guy that took your laptop isn't a crook.
Nov 21, 2007
605 posts
8 upvotes
selpats is right, what i don't get is why you let the CSR take your laptop? nothing of that situation seemed fishy to you at all? i've never heard of that kind of policy.

anyway good luck with the situation.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah. I kind of realized there isnt such a 24hr hold thing.

I dont know why i didnt say i'd like the laptop back, becuase he said i can go ahead and take it back if i wanted.

So i could have went to another store? :|
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2476 posts
201 upvotes
selpats wrote: The reason they wanted to take it into the back and check it is because there are a lot of people that swap parts etc in systems. 10 minutes to check out the laptop is reasonable in my opinion but 24 hours isn't.
+1

I say 10 minutes in front of you, not in the back... 10mins is plenty to unscrew things...

So now that Staples has the laptop, if the CSR takes parts, then the customer is to blame? :twisted:
Dec 31, 1969
That employee needs to get reprimanded for doing that, for some reason this really pisses me off. I wish you were in the Vancouver area, I would go to the store with you... :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Hahah that'd be nice. :)

Then i can learn more on how to deal with CSR!

So in the end, if they say no, as it's missing stuff or whatever, cant i say "how do i know it wasnt another CSR or employee? OR it was a defective unit to begin with?"
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Dec 31, 1969
kay188 wrote: Hahah that'd be nice. :)

Then i can learn more on how to deal with CSR!

So in the end, if they say no, as it's missing stuff or whatever, cant i say "how do i know it wasnt another CSR or employee? OR it was a defective unit to begin with?"
I would think positively for now, most people wouldn't try to steal anything like that especially considering there are cameras everywhere in Staples.

It doesn't matter if it was defective before/after. You tried to use it and now it's not working for whatever reason. Their return policy is 14 days, you can return for whatever reason you want. If it was physically damaged in some way that is a different story...

Just make sure to speak with General Manager or the highest level manager on duty. Don't get angry but don't back down.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
Wow, I would've asked for a manager right away, and demanded a refund.

Keep us updated on what happens. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote: I would think positively for now, most people wouldn't try to steal anything like that especially considering there are cameras everywhere in Staples.

It doesn't matter if it was defective before/after. You tried to use it and now it's not working for whatever reason. Their return policy is 14 days, you can return for whatever reason you want. If it was physically damaged in some way that is a different story...

Just make sure to speak with General Manager or the highest level manager on duty. Don't get angry but don't back down.

Yeah. Just pray they dont blame stuff on me. :|

And how doesnt it matter if it was defective before or after?
And i never tried to use it.

I just flipped up the screen, and say the 7000 sticker, and put it back in the box for return.

Didnt even touch the keyboard, or the other contents of the box.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2476 posts
201 upvotes
kay188 wrote: And how doesnt it matter id it was defective before or after?
And i never tried to use it.
Cause they have a 14-day refund policy.

And, id != if ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
2612 posts
779 upvotes
express.items wrote: +1

CSR could take parts, break parts, take laptop... etc.

Does this policy actually exist?

But I don't get it, what if you actually buy a defective unit for some reason, they'll refuse refund since the thing doesn't work after their "hold policy"?
ya some people might actually take parts from it, or replace their old parts with new laptop parts and return it, so lets hope thats not ur laptop OP
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
251 upvotes
North York
everyone here is kinda jumping the gun. trying to scare u.
weird though... buddy of mines who works at staples said he got to take home a FREE non-functioning laptop, but i doubt thats yours??? LOL kidding.

I wouldn't worry too much YET, when u go tomorrow and they start to cause problems (which they shouldn't) then its time to lawyer up. :)

seriously, think about how many times someone has taken something to get repaired, they only have a piece of paper too.

I really hope that the receipt they gave u has some sort of description in writing that what was going to happen. if not then thats where the issue can turn ugly quickly.

i've returned computers to staples in the past and never been told that theres a 24 hour wait. they just check the box /serial# and thats it, they dont even turn it on. but u never know what new policy they can create.

amusing note:
it can also depend on how u talk and dress. :) really, if u talk w/confident and look like a well off guy, u can pretty much get away with murder. but if u r wearing a G unit hoodie and look/smell all scruffy then they will likely doubt u more and not take u too seriously.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)