Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Adobe.com

FS: Gateway 15.6" i3-330M 2.13GHz Radeon HD 5650 Laptop (NV5909H) - $699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2010 12:28 pm
Feb 2, 2008
63 posts
9 upvotes
Saint-laurent

[Adobe.com] FS: Gateway 15.6" i3-330M 2.13GHz Radeon HD 5650 Laptop (NV5909H) - $699.99

More offers from Adobe.com
Futureshop has the Gateway NV5909H on sale for $699.99.

It has pretty good specs for the price: i3-330M processor, Radeon HD 5650 Graphics, 640GB HDD, 4GB RAM & 15.6" 1600 x 900 1366x768 screen.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 509&catid=

Specs:

WebID: 10137509
Mfr. Part Number: LX.WHV02.010

Base Features:
Approximate Battery Life: Up To 2.5 Hours
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity: 640GB 5400RPM
LED Backlit Display: No
Optical Drive: 8x DVD+/-R/RW DL
Processor Speed: 2.13GHz
Processor Type: Intel Core i3-330M
RAM: 4GB DDR3 RAM
Screen Size: 15.6 Inches

Graphics:
Discrete Video Memory: Yes
Expandable Video Memory: Yes - Up To 4091MB
Graphics Chipset: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Integrated Video Memory: No
Native Screen Resolution: 1600 x 900 1366x768
Upgradable Video System: No
Video Memory: 1024MB

Audio:
Audio Chipset: Mobile Intel HM55 Express
Audio Output: Stereo
Digital Input: No
Digital Output: No
Hardware Volume Control: Yes
Integrated Amplifier: No
Integrated Microphone: Yes
Microphone Input: Yes
Speaker Wattage: 2.0W
Speakers: Yes

Inputs/Outputs:
Card Reader: Yes
Card Reader - Compatible Memory Types: Information Not Available
Composite Output: No
ExpressCard/34 Input: No
ExpressCard/54 Input: No
HDCP Compliant: Yes
HDMI Port: Yes
IEEE 1394 Input/Output: No
IR Receiver: No
Number of Touchpad Buttons: 2
PC Card Input: No
S-Video Output: No
Type of Keyboard: 100-Key
Type of Modem: None
Type of Pointing Device: Touchpad
USB 2.0: 4
VGA Output: Yes
Webcam: YES

Networking:
Ethernet Port: 1000
Integrated Bluetooth: No
Integrated WiFi: 802.11b/g/n

Power:
Battery - Capacity: 4400mAH
Battery - Number of Cells: 6-Cell
Battery Type: Lithium-Ion

Computing Features:
Processor Cache: 3MB L3
System Bus: 1066MHz

Software:
Loaded Software 1: Adobe Reader
Loaded Software 2: MS Works
Loaded Software 3:
Loaded Software 4:
Operating System Language: Bilingual
Pre-loaded Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Accessories :
Headphones: No
Remote: No

Product Features:
Notebook Depth: 25.9 cm
Notebook Thickness (closed): 3.7 cm
Notebook Weight (including Battery): 2.65 kg
Notebook Width: 37.2 cm
Warranty Labour: 1 Year
Warranty Parts: 1 Year

[IMG]http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/pro ... 137509.jpg[/IMG]

SALE ENDS TODAY, 02/03/2010 $699.99 is now regular price @ FS. #$@%! Back to $749.99. Looks like this is going to be one of those items that has an inflated "Regular" price.

Edited:
-Changed resolution from 1600x900 to 1366x768 as confirmed by an owner in futureshop forums and because none of the NV5000 series Gateway laptops on their site have a 1600x900 screen.
-Regular price correction.
145 replies
Nov 22, 2009
92 posts
68 upvotes
London
this gateway product (like all gateway products) will fall apart on you within two years. there is a good chance it will fall apart within the 1 year warranty and dealing with gayway support is horrible. if you are interested in this, go check out the demo in store and you'll see it's made of cheap flimsy plastic.

gateway is the crappiest crap out there with acer not far behind. i would recommend mdg over a gateway... and in no way do i recommend mdg. don't waste your cash.
Mar 17, 2008
30 posts
1 upvote
Windsor
I'm taking one of these out on a test drive...just topping up the battery before initial startup right now...

It appears to have a 1366x768 LED/LCD screen though instead of the listed 1600x900 based on looking at similar units in store (5911 is also listed as 1600x900 but is 1366x768, etc)...

Dollar for dollar it looked worth taking for a test drive, even if I have to return it (within the 14day period)...

The good news is, that if I do decide to return it, there will be more options available as the product pipelines are filled by the new release lappies..
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1188 posts
221 upvotes
CPersyn wrote: I'm taking one of these out on a test drive...just topping up the battery before initial startup right now...

It appears to have a 1366x768 LED/LCD screen though instead of the listed 1600x900 based on looking at similar units in store (5911 is also listed as 1600x900 but is 1366x768, etc)...

Dollar for dollar it looked worth taking for a test drive, even if I have to return it (within the 14day period)...

The good news is, that if I do decide to return it, there will be more options available as the product pipelines are filled by the new release lappies..
great, let us know about the build quality and such, thanks
Mar 17, 2008
30 posts
1 upvote
Windsor
1366x768 has been confirmed....system is still completing the initial boot...

I will be trying to get rid of as much blatware as possible, but won't be doing anything to drastic until after the 14 days in case this unit needs to go back.

Build seems decent. Keep in mind this is not a high end business lappie or a high dollar performance home laptop...

My D830 feels more solid, but as a lower/mid lvl machine this feels decent so far....I'll provide additional feedback as I explore further
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
3591 posts
801 upvotes
CPersyn wrote: I'm taking one of these out on a test drive...just topping up the battery before initial startup right now...

Can you confirm LED? The Op said it had LCD? :confused:
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1845 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
Raddo wrote: Can you confirm LED? The Op said it had LCD? :confused:
The OP was correct in describing it as an LED/LCD. It is LED backlit.

GYR8
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
Apparently the graphics card is a high end Class 2 with DX11.

What is the warranty like, same as for Acer? ie. Ship it to Mississauga (or is it Markam) at the owners expense? edit: Looks like it. :/
Mar 17, 2008
30 posts
1 upvote
Windsor
Still burning recovery disks...I had to go out and buy media as it would not recognize my DL disks...
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone who bought this system going to try M$ FSX on it?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1188 posts
221 upvotes
ok, just picked one up, excellent build quality, I found the keyboard and trackpad easy to use actually

couple of things I find odd, windows 7 reports 3.85 gb RAM usuable out of 4 gb, I checked the bios, no options whatsoever in there for that, and this thing has a 1 gig dedicated video card.....

another thing, it appears these gateway laptops, maybe others as well, sometimes have a high pitch squeal sometimes, you have to listen carefully, its not super loud but my ears can pick it up, strange
Jul 9, 2005
403 posts
23 upvotes
jeff69dini wrote: another thing, it appears these gateway laptops, maybe others as well, sometimes have a high pitch squeal sometimes, you have to listen carefully, its not super loud but my ears can pick it up, strange
walmart had a good deal on a similar 14.1" gateway laptop and mine was plagued with problems, one of the problems i had was the same high pitched squeal. i called their tech support about issues with the battery, fan/harddrive noise, problems with the network card disappearing and reappearing and the microphone didn't work. The microphone issue seemed to be a windows 7 driver issue and they told me the fan/harddrive noise was because of this (ha!). support was a pain to deal with, a google search for 'gateway computers support' shows how truly awful their support is. they were willing to rma the laptop. i had to pay for shipping both ways (about $50/each way). wasn't worth spending $100 bucks to fix it when i could just return it to walmart.

the build quality wasn't that good, i thought the silver piece around the edge would end up falling off or breaking (it seemed a little loose). it's not a laptop i would want to travel with very often, the more travel time i had with mine the more i thought it would start to break. it seemed to be solid enough to use around the home. the hinge seemed solid and unlikely to break from wear and tear of opening and closing.

if you're having problems i wouldn't hesitate to take it back. seems like gateway laptops are okay as long as you don't have any problems. when you have to deal with gateway support, that's when the frustration and buyer remorse starts (at least for me anyway). i was lucky enough to have the problems start with my return period at walmart.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1188 posts
221 upvotes
CPersyn wrote: Still burning recovery disks...I had to go out and buy media as it would not recognize my DL disks...
hey CPersyn, did you notice any high pitched squeal at all? listen carefully....
Sep 14, 2006
484 posts
12 upvotes
Does this laptop actually have the Radeon 5650? I recall that Future Shop had a typo the last time where it listed a similar Gateway (NV5905H) having a Radeon 5470 but it only had the integrated Intel GMA HD graphics.
Nov 2, 2009
66 posts
9 upvotes
gatewaysucks wrote: this gateway product (like all gateway products) will fall apart on you within two years. there is a good chance it will fall apart within the 1 year warranty and dealing with gayway support is horrible. if you are interested in this, go check out the demo in store and you'll see it's made of cheap flimsy plastic.

gateway is the crappiest crap out there with acer not far behind. i would recommend mdg over a gateway... and in no way do i recommend mdg. don't waste your cash.
Hmmm....my Gateway seems pretty solid actually. Do you feel the same about Acers?

EDIT: Just read your note about Acer. Funny..the only problem I had with my Acer was when the first one fell out of my bag doing 200K on the highway. The replacement served me well (3 - 4 years) until I picked up a Gateway recently. My only complaint was that my fan got loud and needs to be replaced and recently it seems the DVD drive writes but does not read. It's burnt hundreds of DVDs though and has been left on 24x7 for 4 years. Can't ask for much more than that I would say.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1188 posts
221 upvotes
Peridium wrote: Does this laptop actually have the Radeon 5650? I recall that Future Shop had a typo the last time where it listed a similar Gateway (NV5905H) having a Radeon 5470 but it only had the integrated Intel GMA HD graphics.
yes it does, just tried GTA IV, I get between 30-35 fps, everything maxed, doesn't even slow down during the rain, great performance

during GTA, hard drive temp was ~ 40 degrees celcius, cpu was around 51 degrees during gameplay.......

only thing that irks me is the slight squealing sound.......

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)