Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Blacks

Black's: Canon A570 IS $129.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2008 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2556 posts
1619 upvotes
Highly recommended. I've been using the Allbest CHDK firmware since day one with no issues. I also got it for $130 when Staples had a sale a long while back. There isn't much improvement with the new A590IS...imho.

Some sample pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kwantlen/Photography
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2005
1341 posts
43 upvotes
soupnazi wrote: Highly recommended. I've been using the Allbest CHDK firmware since day one with no issues. I also got it for $130 when Staples had a sale a long while back. There isn't much improvement with the new A590IS...imho.

Some sample pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kwantlen/Photography
What about the flash recycle delay, did it take 9 seconds to get a second picture. I have the A510 and i want to buy another one because of 10secondes delay between shoots when flash is used.
Thanks for your comments.
By the way, did CHDK improve this flash recycle?
Oct 26, 2005
174 posts
4 upvotes
What's CHKD? What does it stand for and how do you install it on your powershot? I own 2 digital cameras and a SLR but want to buy this as a gift for someone. Is it worth it? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
ganiba wrote: What about the flash recycle delay, did it take 9 seconds to get a second picture. I have the A510 and i want to buy another one because of 10secondes delay between shoots when flash is used.
Thanks for your comments.
By the way, did CHDK improve this flash recycle?

I purchased a 590IS with highspeed sd card (class 6) for my aunt, I got to use it a few times and I found it quite slow, I wouldn't say 10 seconds but at least 5.

I'm spoiled by my DSLR :lol:
Mar 20, 2006
641 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
well, DSLR is fast and good tool.. too bad it stays at home all the time while I almost always have P&S in my pocket :)
my friend has A570IS and it's nice cam which is producing excellent photos

mau108 wrote: I purchased a 590IS with highspeed sd card (class 6) for my aunt, I got to use it a few times and I found it quite slow, I wouldn't say 10 seconds but at least 5.

I'm spoiled by my DSLR :lol:
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
soupnazi wrote: Highly recommended. I've been using the Allbest CHDK firmware since day one with no issues. I also got it for $130 when Staples had a sale a long while back. There isn't much improvement with the new A590IS...imho.
I actually consider squeezing another 1mp into the same 1/2.5" sensor a setback :(
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1896 posts
593 upvotes
Airdrie
ganiba wrote: What about the flash recycle delay, did it take 9 seconds to get a second picture. I have the A510 and i want to buy another one because of 10secondes delay between shoots when flash is used.
yes it does. i think you'll find this a common problem for most digital cameras that use regular batteries.
Mar 9, 2003
347 posts
Winnipeg, MB
ihk wrote: yes it does. i think you'll find this a common problem for most digital camera that uses regular batteries.
Well, it is for the Canon Powershots that only take 2 AAs. Some of the olders ones had 4 AAs so they had the juice to have decent recycle times. Not sure if any of the new Powershots take 4AAs anymore.

I think Canon is trying to get the camera lighter/slimmer, and to run on just 2 AAs means it'll take awhile to recharge for the flash I guess.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
xanatos wrote: Well, it is for the Canon Powershots that only take 2 AAs. Some of the olders ones had 4 AAs so they had the juice to have decent recycle times. Not sure if any of the new Powershots take 4AAs anymore.

I think Canon is trying to get the camera lighter/slimmer, and to run on just 2 AAs means it'll take awhile to recharge for the flash I guess.
The higher-end S5 & A6xx use 4 x AA ...

I actually prefer those 4 x AA models as they make the right hand grip feels more comfortable, especially when you operate your camera with your right hand only ...
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2556 posts
1619 upvotes
Yeah, the flash recycle times are a tad long due to 2AA batteries. I find Sanyo Eneloop recyclable batteries make the time slightly lower. 5-6 secs when they're fresh. As others mentioned, the older Canon camera's that use 4AA batteries have faster recharge times. (my A70's times are shorter) CHDK didn't do anything for flash recycle times...I mostly use it for exposure bracketing & the battery meter.

Yup, an increase in MP for the same sensor size is a downgrade. (the A590IS; more noise; cramming more detail in the same size sensor)
Apr 30, 2007
621 posts
39 upvotes
chead98 wrote: What's CHKD? What does it stand for and how do you install it on your powershot? I own 2 digital cameras and a SLR but want to buy this as a gift for someone. Is it worth it? Thanks
CHDK stands for Canon Hacker's Development Kit. It extends your Canon PowerShot features without overwriting the original firmware of the digital camera.

Download the CHDK program files and transfer the files onto your memory card.

A. Follow these steps:

* Remove the SD card from your camera and put it in the card reader of your PC.
* Extract the files from the firmware zip file that you have downloaded.
* Copy the files PS.fir and Diskboot.bin into the root folder of your SD card.
* If you are on a Mac, read and follow this link
* Put the SD card back into the camera.

or... (newbie way using Card Tricks, Windows only and up to 4GB cards)

* Remove the SD card from your camera and put it in the card reader of your PC.
* Download and install Card Tricks.
* Open the application and select the CARD's DRIVE, when asked. (pay attention: is the drive corresponding to the SD memory card!)
* Click the Format as FAT button, read and accepted the notice.
* Click the Make Bootable button, read and accepted the notice.
* Download the ZIP file with the CHDK version of your choice. If you don't know, just press the Download CHDK button and pick your camera model ZIP file. Just remember where you saved it!
* Click the CHDK binary button and point to the ZIP file you downloaded.
* Remove the card from the card reader.
* Lock the card! (this switch in the SD card)
* Your card is now autoload and ready to use.
* Place the write protected card back in camera and turn on. If everything went right the CHDK splash screen will blink.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)