Food & Drink

DId you have your wedding at Mandarin Golf Club?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2012 9:14 am
Tags:
None
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts

DId you have your wedding at Mandarin Golf Club?

Hi All!
I'm looking to find others who recently (October 07 and onwards) had their wedding reception at Mandarin Golf Club in Unionville. I am having problems receiving my deposit back as they are using it to finance other things. I'd really like to hear other's experiences as I have been investigating persuing a lawsuit. I don't want to include details as I'd like to see what others have heard. Essentially, Mandarin agrees that there was no damage caused at our wedding, and have been sitting on their hands with the money, not responding to my enquiries, etc. Please send me a message if you dealt with them recently and have trouble getting your deposit back.
71 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1149 posts
57 upvotes
After waiting a couple of months, they finally sent us a cheque. Too bad the names on it are wrong cause they assumed my wife changed her last name to mine. So we had to return the cheque.

That was a couple of months ago. Thank you for reminding me that they owe us $2000. We'll be calling Daisy tomorrow.
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
I think that we should all keep our ears open and see how many other people are owed. It's easy to forget...I almost did! I am having a hard time getting any response other than dates in the future. I have demanded that they cut a cheque tomorrow...we'll see.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
I went to a wedding there not so long ago, its a pretty expensive place as my friend the bride later revealed to me. All I can say was she was happy with the reception/dinner at the Mandarin, she never mentioned that she had any problems with returning the deposit to me. I hope it all gets straightened out for you.
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
Still no deposit returned. Basically they have changed their story numerous times, latest story is Jan 18th...I'll believe it when I see it. Still looking for more people owed money.
Sep 20, 2006
235 posts
2 upvotes
$2000 is pretty significant. You should consider sending them a letter confirming your phone conversation with them (ie they promised to pay you the money by January 18, 2008 etc.) and also threaten legal action if they fail to deliver by that date.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
sounds like a mass exodus call to silverman helps.
Oct 15, 2001
945 posts
38 upvotes
karenb wrote: Still no deposit returned. Basically they have changed their story numerous times, latest story is Jan 18th...I'll believe it when I see it. Still looking for more people owed money.
chicken_little wrote: They promised me Jan 18 as well. We'll see...
Hope they still exist on Jan 18, check them out on Jan 17. ;) Sorry, just a joke, can't resist.

Hope everything is ok for your guys.
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
yeah, I wonder if they will still exist as well. Wondering if the memberships really are "coming due" today as they say. I have pursued other options already. Will post here either way once I get a result (I don't want the club to have a "heads up" about what is happening) What a pain!
Karen
Mar 5, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

We too had our wedding at the Mandarin last August and we are still waiting for our deposit refund. We were told that the cheques were delayed and that we would be getting it Jan 18th. Sounds like many of us are experiencing the same problem with the Mandarin.
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
OH no bb7chan, not another person! Wondering how many others out there, given how bad this looks. Still no contact from them. I might take a drive by to see if the gates might be locked!
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1149 posts
57 upvotes
Jan 18 is tomorrow. I'm hoping this is send deposit cheques day and not file for bankruptcy day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6363 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
Wow I'm suprised there happens to be so many ppl in the same position! When I saw the thread, I was just wondering "what are the chances another RFD member would've recently had their wedding here..." and look at that, not one, but two others!

Hope you guys get your money back!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1828 posts
3 upvotes
This is something that you all get one lawyer to represent you for a class action suit.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
george benjamin wrote: This is something that you all get one lawyer to represent you for a class action suit.
I would highly doubt this would be worth certifying as a class proceeding. It might not even be possible given each couple would (presumably) have their own contract.

For $2,000 a pop, just file it as a small claims matter. If you want strength in numbers, you can team up in joint lawsuits (individual claims with common triable issues).

Goodluck.

This is an interesting thread for me, not because I have the same problem, but because I was considering joining the club. Sounds like they've got serious cash flow problems. Gotta think twice....
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
Well, still no money....went over to the club yesterday to check out whats going on. They are still open, although we looked in the window of the Pro-Shop and it's completely empty! Not sure of this is standard at this time of year, but I don't understand why they would move everything out only to have to move it back in again in the spring. Seems fishy to me.

-karen
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
karenb wrote: Well, still no money....went over to the club yesterday to check out whats going on. They are still open, although we looked in the window of the Pro-Shop and it's completely empty! Not sure of this is standard at this time of year, but I don't understand why they would move everything out only to have to move it back in again in the spring. Seems fishy to me.

-karen
Don't be too alarmed, yet. If I recall, they closed upon the pro shop last year as well. I suspect that they sell or consign their inventory to other stores (like Nevada Bob's) once the season winds up. They won't sell anything in the off-season so might as well free up some cash.

But, I don't recall them ever clearing the whole thing out?

I would suggest putting your efforts to collect in writing (email, registered mail or courier). If it's any consolation, your money is technically considered "trust" funds. You should rank ahead of creditors should anything happen.
Mar 5, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
I have been calling the Mandarin over the last few days. I had asked them to have the cheque for me to pick up (instead of mailing). I was told it would be ready by Jan 21st (yesterday), but when I called to confirm nobody answered my calls. I'll keep calling today and the rest of the week...hopefully i'll get some answers. I even tried stopping by their office yesterday, but everybody had left by the time I got there. Anybody have any good news about their deposit refund? Perhaps if all the people who are still waiting were to show up at the Mandarin all together, we could get some answers! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1149 posts
57 upvotes
bb7chan wrote: Perhaps if all the people who are still waiting were to show up at the Mandarin all together, we could get some answers! :cheesygri
I'm still waiting for my cheque. Perhaps we will all show up in small claims court together. :cheesygri

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)