Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga

Warranty issues for cars imported from the US

To help out with the loooong thread about importing vehicles from the US, this thread will be dedicated to warranty issues for imported cars.

I'll start off with some information I gathered here a couple of years ago. It's not complete and I know that some of it has changed since then, so please post any corrections in this thread and I'll fix this first post with the updated info.

Acura / Honda (from here) as of Aug 15, 2007:
If I purchase a used Honda in Canada that was originally sold as a new car in the United States, will Honda Canada provide any warranty coverage?

No. The reciprocal warranty agreement between Honda Canada and American Honda only covers owners who relocate from one country to the other, or owners from one country who are travelling on business or vacation in the other country. If a vehicle that was originally sold new in the United States is brought into Canada, its warranty only applies to the owner that purchased the vehicle while living in the U.S. and who imports the vehicle into Canada for their own personal or family use.
BMW:
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is transferable from the United States to Canada. The Maintenance Plan which is offered in the US and includes engine oil services, as well as inspections, is not honored in Canada.
DaimlerChrysler:
While we appreciate your interest in our products, we must respectfully advise that DaimlerChrysler's U.S. warranties do not apply to vehicles registered in Canada.
Ford:
"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the Emissions Warranties described in this booklet apply to your vehicle if: a) it was originally purchased through the Ford Worldwide Direct Marketing Operations Military Sales Program; or b) it was originally sold or leased by Ford Motor Company or one of its dealers in the United States or U.S Federalized Territories, and it was originally registered/licensed and operated in the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. If you meet either of these two requirements, you do have warranty coverage when you travel with this vehicle outside the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. In some cases, however, you may have to pay the servicing Ford dealer in a foreign country or U.S. Federalized Territory for a repair that is covered under the U.S. warranty. If this happens, be sure to save the paid repair order or invoice. You should present this document to a U.S. Ford Motor Company dealer for warranty refund consideration. Refer to www.Ford.com for additional customer assistance reference information."
Hyundai as of Aug 16, 2007
Good day,

Hyundai Auto Canada and Hyundai Motor America are two separate companies operating in their own countries. The warranty on vehicles purchased by Canadian residents in the United States is not transferable to Canada. It is possible to obtain warranty repairs on U.S vehicles in Canada, however, the cost for the repairs will be assumed by Hyundai Motor America.

Hyundai Motor America is presently honouring their warranty on vehicles that have been imported to Canada. Please be aware that this may change in the future. In addition, roadside assistance on US vehicles is not honoured in Canada.

Regards,
Hyundai Auto Canada Corp.
Kia
Each KIA Distributor worldwide provides warranty coverage which reflects local market conditions and complies with federal government and consumer legislation.

In the United States, the warranty coverage consists of:
5 year/60,000 mile Limited Basic warranty
5 year/100,000 mile Anti-perforation warranty
5 year/unlimited Roadside Assistance
10 year/100,000 mile Power Train warranty

The warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners of the vehicle, therefore, only the original owner of the vehicle is eligible for warranty coverage.

In Canada, the warranty coverage consists of:
5 year/100,000 km Comprehensive warranty
5 year/100,000 km Power Train warranty
1 year/20,000 km First-year adjustments
8 year/130,000 km Major emissions components
5 year/unlimited Anti-perforation warranty
5 year/100,000 km Roadside Assistance

In Canada, it is legislated that warranties must be transferable to subsequent owners of the vehicle. A vehicle purchased in the United States but brought to Canada, will have a Canadian Warranty of 5 years or 100,000 kilometers, which ever occurs first, from the original warranty start date.

There are indeed, distinct advantages to the Canadian warranty.
Subaru (as of Aug 16, 2007 for 2008+ models):
If a Canadian citizen purchases a Subaru vehicle in the U.S. with the intention of immediately registering the
vehicle in Canada, they must be notified by the selling dealer that the Subaru Limited Warranty specifically
states, “Any and all repairs must be performed by an authorized Subaru Dealer in the United States.”
Therefore, Canadian residents who purchase a Subaru in the U.S., then registers the vehicle in Canada, will
have two viable options for obtaining warranty repairs:

1. Return the car to the U.S. for all warranty repairs at an authorized Subaru dealer at no charge: or,
2. Have the car repaired at an authorized Canadian Subaru dealer, pay for the repairs, then submit a
copy of the Repair Order marked Paid for reimbursement to SOA through the CDS department at:

Subaru of America, Inc.
Subaru Plaza
P.O. Box 6000
Cherry Hill, New Jersey 08034-6000

Attn: CDS Department
Toyoto Canada:
As distributor of new vehicles in Canada, Toyota Canada Inc. does not
recommend the import of Canadian specification Toyotas to other
countries. In order to register a US vehicle in Canada, compliance
verification is required.

With regards to warranty coverage, we would like to take this
opportunity to explain that Toyota Canada Inc. and Toyota Motor
Sales, U.S.A. (TMS) are separate business entities, as such, we
suggest contacting TMS's Customer Relations directly at the
following:
[snip]
Toyota USA (from here):
Q: If I take my Toyota outside of the U.S.A., will I still have warranty coverage?

A: As noted in Toyota's Owner's Manual Supplement, warranty coverage is applicable to any vehicle registered and normally operated only within the mainland United States, Alaska and Canada.

If you are touring or relocating outside of the mainland U.S., Alaska, or Canada, the local dealership may not provide warranty service because the local Toyota distributor may have no obligation to provide warranty service to your vehicle. Additionally, your Toyota vehicle may not comply with the regulatory and/or environmental requirements of certain countries.
58 replies
Aug 13, 2006
981 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
If a vehicle that was originally sold new in the United States is brought into Canada, its warranty only applies to the owner that purchased the vehicle while living in the U.S. and who imports the vehicle into Canada for their own personal or family use.
I thought it was pretty clear that Honda / Acura warranty is not valid across the border. I think this is what it's trying to say too, but this verbage is actually confusing me.

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but it seems to mean if I buy a brand new Honda/Acura, and import it into Canada, it's still under warranty? But if I sell it to someone else afterwards, the warranty is not valid...

Probably not the case, right?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Fx45 wrote: I thought it was pretty clear that Honda / Acura warranty is not valid across the border. I think this is what it's trying to say too, but this verbage is actually confusing me.

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but it seems to mean if I buy a brand new Honda/Acura, and import it into Canada, it's still under warranty? But if I sell it to someone else afterwards, the warranty is not valid...

Probably not the case, right?
Right, that's not the case. Their verbiage means that if a US resident buys a Honda and then moves to Canada, then the warranty would be valid. But if a visitor to the US (like you or me) buys one and brings it back, then it's not valid. And it also becomes invalid once the US resident who moved to Canada sells it to someone else.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1175 posts
19 upvotes
Thanks Rehan. What about Mitsubishi? Anyone know?
Aug 3, 2006
790 posts
1 upvote
You forgot about the Subarus.

2007 or earlier full warranty, 2008+ you have to pay for it in Canada but can get reimbursed if you do the paperwork needed for Subaru USA (forget the link but someone posted it here, I think it was "Spray").
Jul 21, 2007
2 posts
This is the email I had from Hyundai Canada:

Good day,

Hyundai Auto Canada and Hyundai Motor America are two separate companies operating in their own countries. The warranty on vehicles purchased by Canadian residents in the United States is not transferable to Canada. It is possible to obtain warranty repairs on U.S vehicles in Canada, however, the cost for the repairs will be assumed by Hyundai Motor America.

Hyundai Motor America is presently honouring their warranty on vehicles that have been imported to Canada. Please be aware that this may change in the future. In addition, roadside assistance on US vehicles is not honoured in Canada.

Regards,
Dec 28, 2004
315 posts
58 upvotes
So base on what I read about Kia, there is warranty if you buy from USA and it is better since the warranty will be converted to Canada coverage.

Is this correct? Now only if someone knows where I can buy a Kia round the Niagara/Buffalo area.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
i have an american HONDUH and i get NO warranty in canada! if i want warranty i'd prolly have drive to BUFFALO and go to the stealerships there ...kinda impossible if my tranny is blown tho! :cheesygri
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
For Subaru, this is official for SOA for models 2008+ only:

If a Canadian citizen purchases a Subaru vehicle in the U.S. with the intention of immediately registering the
vehicle in Canada, they must be notified by the selling dealer that the Subaru Limited Warranty specifically
states,
Jan 3, 2003
68 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
anyone know please.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
nswills wrote: This is the email I had from Hyundai Canada:

Good day,

Regards,
I finally got through to them on the phone, and the guy told me the same thing. He also added that depending on the dealer, they may invoice Hyundai USA directly, or make you pay for it and then get reimbursed. Although it makes no sense whatsoever, he mentioned that by importing the car, the US 10 year warranty gets cut in half, to match the Canadian warranty.
Sep 12, 2007
187 posts
30 upvotes
Hello Everyone,

I posted this info on the main thread a few days back, but the info also belongs here.

I came across a good summary of which manufactorer's will honour thir US warranties in Canada from the APA at:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253
Sep 9, 2007
30 posts
dlseeker wrote: Hello Everyone,

I posted this info on the main thread a few days back, but the info also belongs here.

I came across a good summary of which manufactorer's will honour thir US warranties in Canada from the APA at:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253
Cool link - good source.

But some information seems to be in contradiction from what Rehan has posted.

For example, Toyota is fully transferable on the APA site.
Also, on the APA site, Infiniti honours, but Nissan doesn't - seems to be a contradiction in itself.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Rehan wrote: Right, that's not the case. Their verbiage means that if a US resident buys a Honda and then moves to Canada, then the warranty would be valid. But if a visitor to the US (like you or me) buys one and brings it back, then it's not valid. And it also becomes invalid once the US resident who moved to Canada sells it to someone else.
That's a bit of a ******** double-standard no? I guess it's their terms but still that isn't right. What difference does it make if you lived in the US or not? It's just a way for them to save money on warranty claims.
Feb 13, 2003
752 posts
I guess my dual citizenship really pays off in most of these scenarios. I've bought 3 vehicles and now looking into a 4th and have had zero issues regarding to dealer service.
Ford-Volvo-Volvo-maybe BMW
Aug 30, 2007
9 posts
spdztr wrote: I finally got through to them on the phone, and the guy told me the same thing. He also added that depending on the dealer, they may invoice Hyundai USA directly, or make you pay for it and then get reimbursed. Although it makes no sense whatsoever, he mentioned that by importing the car, the US 10 year warranty gets cut in half, to match the Canadian warranty.
From working with Hyundai USA, I have been informed that any Hyundai purchased in the US and taken to Canada, can be repaired under Canadian Warranty at any Canadian Dealer for the time constraints of the Canadian Warranty, i.e. 5years/100,000KM. After that time is up, the remainder of the US Warranty i.e. 10yrs/100,000 miles will be honored in the US, or the work can be done in Canada and reimbursed by Hyundai USA. This information came from a Hyundai District Representative.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
JackyGor wrote: How about Audi? :confused:
I heard VAG cars are fine for warranty over here, however it would be nice to be sure/see an official statment if someone could post one...
May 12, 2006
123 posts
2 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I heard VAG cars are fine for warranty over here, however it would be nice to be sure/see an official statment if someone could post one...
Don't have links to an official statement but I've read reports that Audi seems willing to honour US warranties.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)