Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA

Asus P5K issue with power supply

So i got a bunch of computer parts the other day to build 2 machines out of what i already had.

In the one machine i had the new ASUS P5K motherboard,
my old Thermaltake 480Watt power supply
my old E6600 core 2 cpu.
New OCZ memory
my old ATI all in wonder X1900

The computer will not boot in this config.. nothing appears on screen but empty darkness yet everything powers on.

knowing that some of the parts were for sure working as i pulled it from a machine, such as the powers upply, cpu and video card i thought.. great. maybe the memory is dead..
replaced thememory.. still no boot.

at this point.. i'm guessing that since i know everythign else works.. it has to be the board.

so i get a new board.. same problem.

Frustrated to all ends at this point, i test out my video card again on another machine.. it works.

Test out the ram in another machine, it works as well
test out the cpu in another machine and it works as well.

then.... i use the crappy power supply that came with a generic case at 350watt and voila.. it works.

how the heck does that make any sense.
it's a thermaltake power supply. worked well before on an intel motherboard running the same cpu and video card.

why does it suddenly not work with an Asus motherboard? it can't possibly be because it draws more power.. it boots using a generic 350 watt power supply.

can anyone shed some light on why this is so.. or is this anohter one of those magic computer problems.

further that.. any suggestions on a good power supply then.. need something solid, quiet and with primarily just serial ata connectors... not an overclocker and not running sli video cards.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
Old Thermaltake PSUs are garbage. Likely only 18A on the +12V - not enough. Why the generic 350W booted is beyond me, maybe it was better than the Thermaltake :lol:

Most of Antec's newer-model PSUs are solid choices for the money.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
well apparently they are crap.. i must admit i didn't think it was. i'm deeply shocked especially since it booted on an intel G965 based motherboard.

i'm just so very surprised a crappy generic is better...

so antec eh...which one is the newer ones? i know it's kinda silly not to get a power supply with the new pci express connectors and mostly serial ata's.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pretty much all of the Antecs you see in stores are the "new ones."
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
The_Madz wrote: so antec eh...which one is the newer ones? i know it's kinda silly not to get a power supply with the new pci express connectors and mostly serial ata's.
NeoHE
Earthwatts
TruePower Trio

Any one of those. Depends on what you want from a power supply.
Deal with it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)