Automotive

New Subaru Outback 2.5XT vs 3.0R (LLBean or Premier)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2007 4:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa

New Subaru Outback 2.5XT vs 3.0R (LLBean or Premier)

I'm thinking of getting a new Subaru Outback wagon and I was wondering what people think of the 2.5XT vs the 3.0R. Fully loaded, they are approximately the same price. The 2.5 has 2HP less but more torque (26lbs/ft more and at lower RPM as well). It also comes with Subaru's 'SI-Drive' system and has shift-control on the wheel which the 3.0R doesn't have? I'm leaning towards the 2.5XT but the 3.0R seems more popular. The mileage is rated a tad better for the 2.5 but it needs 91 octane while the 3.0 only recommends it (although HP and mileage on the 3.0 might be lower if 91 isn't used). The 2.5 is available with a manual tranny while the 3.0 is auto-only but I think we'd go with auto anyway so it's a non-issue.

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
just adding a response posted in another thread ...
Monsieurmaggot wrote: I narrowed my choices down to the two vehicles you outlined above.

For me, after more Internet research (of course) it came down to a simple decision. The XT runs exclusively on Premium fuel. The 3.0R runs on any grade (Premium is recommended but not required). The XT has the same HP but more torque WHEN the turbo kicks in. This didn't make any difference in my decision. Most of the time (regular driving) you running a four banger. You do get a "fancy-pants" air intake in the hood of the XT. The repair costs on a turbocharged model is much higher than a regularly aspirated engine. There is no indicator that there's a 3.0 Litre in my vehicle whereas the XT has a logo on the back. Mine does have the oval LLBean logo but that's also available as a 2.5 litre trim model. The XT and 3.0R are essentially the same price and have exactly the same options. There is a minor instrumentation difference on the turbo. As you pointed out, the 3.0R is only available with the shiftronic 5-speed transmission. No manual is available.

Turbo maintenance issues are actually a very good point; although they've been around for a very long time and are generally reliable, they do add a level of complexity and it is something extra that can break (e.g. extended warranties charge a premium for turbocharged vehicles) and they do require some extra care (with a turbocharged car, you are suppose to let it idle a few minutes before turning off the car to let the turbo cool down. Also when you change the oil and filter in a turbocharged car, you are suppose to pre-fill the oil filter because if you don't you can damage the turbocharger when you re-start the car (not hard to do if you know about it but it's something that's easy to miss by a junior mechanic that is changing the oil).

On the other hand, for those interested in that, increasing the power output on a turbocharged car is cheap and easy since you can simply increase the boost and / or change the blow-off valve (I think, certainly not my area of expertise).
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
567 upvotes
6 cyl uses a timing chain and the 4 cyl uses a belt so there is one expensive maintenance if you plan to keep the car for 100K miles.

The XT is "sportier" with the SI drive and manual options. And it has nicer gagues.

I'd take the 6cyl over the turbo, personally.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)