Automotive

UPDATED--Summary: How To Import a Vehicle to Canada, Insurance and Financing Options

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2007 2:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes

UPDATED--Summary: How To Import a Vehicle to Canada, Insurance and Financing Options

OK...I've enclosed something similar to some other forums on How To Import a US vehicle into Canada. It'll take a few minutes to read so here I go, Hope this helps...

First of all, ensure the vehicle you choose to import is admissable to Canada. Another is to see if the vehicle's warranty is transferable, if new, so that you won't have any problems servicing the vehicle up in Canada. You may choose to purchase a separate warranty other than the manufacturers if you decide on a vehicle that the manufacturer's warranty isn't transferable. I haven't compiled a list of the manufacturers who's warranty is transferable, so it'll take a little digging. A website stated many times in other threads is the RIV : http://www.riv.ca/english/html/us_vehic ... ility.html. This site is like the bible of importing, and if you miss this step, you'll be stuck with a car you paid FOR and not being able to bring it back to Canada.

The next step is to find the car you wish to import, and a good place to start is www.autotrader.com which contains the largest collection of vehicles in the US. This site also provides the VIN's for CarFax. You'll most likely end up making 2 trips to where the car is located, or like me, arrange everything over the phone with a dealer in the US. I ended calling a lot of border dealers and some other contacts further south on RFD. Many dealerships were reluctant to sell to Canadians due to political red tape. I found one that was willing to sell to me...it just took a little phoning around. Many of the dealers again, don't want to risk their franchises or be penalized by selling to Canadians. I've been told that you have to go a little farther down south in the US to find a dealer for Toyota or others, but not along the border states to Canada as in Detroit, Ohio, NY, etc etc...

Once you've found the car, if it's brand new and from a dealer, you may not need to check it through www.CarFax.com. A used car is surely a must to ensure if the odometer has been tampered with or if it's a salvage title, etc, etc....BE AWARE!

Another thing is to have proof of insurance coverage with the vehicle you're going to purchase as per the dealer. Provide them with the VIN number, Year, Make, Model, and they should send you a letter confirming coverage. The insurance co. I dealt with gave me 14 days to get the car registered in Ontario, so more than enough time.

I purchased brand new and the best thing was NO STATE TAXES in NY if you're exporting the vehicle. In addition, the dealer produced all necessary documents into a booklet, so when I reached the border, Customs officials basically looked through the table of contents to find what they needed. In both cases for a new/used car, you need a "recall clearance letter" from the manufacturer. This paper explains that there are no outstanding recalls associated with your vehicle which has the VIN # on it too. If this paper states that there are outstanding recalls and isn't clear, you'll have to fix those deficiencies in order to complete and pass Federal Inspection in Canada for a new car. Check for liens too. For further information: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html

Also check here for contacts for recall letters from other manufacturers: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_contacts.html

You must fax both sides of the ownership (MSO aka "Manufacturer State of Origin") to US Customs at the port which you'll be driving the car back through. *Important*, IT MUST BE LEGIBLE, or else it won't be accepted. You'll get a big surprise when you get to the border and be asked to turn back. Call about 2 hours later to confirm that they've received it...Again, if it's a new car, the dealer will do it for you in some cases, if used, you must do it yourself. Here is the number for US Customs at the Queenston Lewiston Bridge: 1-716-282-1400. If you're importing through the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, it can be done Mon-Fri- 8:00am to 4:00pm. NO WEEKENDS...As others mentioned, Alexandria Bay near Thousand Islands is open 24/7 for imports as others here have reported. Another Port of Entry is Alexandria Bay, near 1000 islands. Tel :( 315) 482-2472.

Again, since I bought my car brand new, I negotiated everything through the phone. I made a deposit over the phone of $500, faxed him proof of insurance and took the bus down to Buffalo, cost me $26.xx, one way. I suggest buying a round trip, as Customs questioned me about the one way ticket, and they do have the right to refuse you entry to the US...just my 2 cents though. The dealer then picked me up at the bus station in Buffalo. From there, I brought a certified cheque for the amount of the vehicle negotiated and declared it at Customs. Please all, don't hide what you're bring over. It clearly states that you must declare that you have more than $10 000. Customs has the right to confiscate your money for not declaring it.

Now the fun begins...After you've signed everything, paid and checked the vehicle, you're good to go. The dealer will provide you with a temporary transit plate stuck on the rear window. You may need a Temp plate from State to State if you're importing a vehicle farther from the border States. From there, drive to border and stop at the US Customs side before you go through Canada Customs. It's just off to the left before you cross the bridge!!! Park the car and bring in all documentation including proof of insurance, original ownership and recall letter. I walked in and went to the counter and told them that I was exporting a vehicle and showed them the paperwork. They looked at the car, stamped my ownership, checked the VIN to the car and I was out the door. For a used car, they might inspect it a little more. It took me less than 10 mins. This is where the paperwork that the dealer put together came in handy. No scrummaging through papers, everything was in order.

Next...Canada Customs. At the booth, I told the officer I was importing a vehicle to Canada...gave me a yellow slip and told me to see the officers in the building. Parked the car again and went to the desk and showed them all paperwork again. They will also fill out "FORM 1" which you'll need later on. Showed them the Bill of Sale and they converted the amount I paid US into CAD dollars. From there, the US amount converted into CAD, I was charged the GST (6%). If it's a used vehicle, declare the value and don't under declare the value of the car. Canada Customs has the ability to seize your vehicle. The vehicle (and all goods in it) will be seized, you won't be charged/arrested under the Customs Act unless the officer feels you have hindered them. You will however have committed an offence under the Custom Act. Oh yeah...there is a import duty fee of 6.1% if the vehicle isn't made in North America and $100 A/Conditioning Tax. The RIV Importation Fee is now $206.70 and only credit card is accepted, NO Interac. This is because the $206.70 goes directly to Transport Canada, the funds do NOT go to the CBSA. Another 15 mins. After all is paid, you're good to go. Again this is where the paperwork in order came in handy. I've read horror stories of missing 1 vital piece of information and being turned back and refused entry.

I drove home, parked the car and waited until "Form 2" was sent to me from the RIV (usually within about 10 days). Form 2, once you've received it through the mail, will enable you to bring the vehicle to Canadian Tire to have the vehicle inspected to meet Canadian Standards...ie. bumpers, Daytime Running Lights, Child Tethers, Airbags. Bring "Form 2" to CT for inspection. They will stamp your Form 2 and ask for the "Recall Clearance Letter" as mentioned before, and fax it to the RIV. Others have mentioned physically going to the RIV which is located at 405 The West Mall in Etobicoke, Toronto to obtain "Form 2" instead of waiting for the Form 2 to arrive. It's up to you. Bring all documents to the MTO and have the car registered and plated and PAY again...this time the PST (8%) (ouch). You can use the Temp plate for the time being, but i don't suggest it as it is a TEMPORARY PLATE. You don't need a Emissions test if it's a new car. Older cars, 5+ yrs, yes.

After that's all done, the RIV will send you a compliance label to affix to your door sill...Good Luck All....Don't know if all this savings will come to an end and manufacturers will stop honoring the warranties.

FINANCING

As requested, for financial options on purchasing the vehicle...there aren't many, period. Option 1: CASH. Option 2: As many have suggested in this thread: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=307601 your most likely bet would be your LOC (Line of Credit). Interest Rates are comparable to some of the financing rates that dealers are offering, but don't quote me on that one (no flaming Please!). Check with your local banking institutions. You're unable to finance the vehicle in the US, as you're not a resident, and don't possess a SSN. I chose this time to purchase because of the rising dollar (don't know if the dollar will continue rising or fall again) and the conversion rate was favorable at 1.113679 at the time I converted into USD. So, given the calculations, including the RIV fees, PST, GST, and plates, I still came out ahead. Option 3: Get a conventional bank loan and convert to USD. Lastly: I've been told is that some banking institutions will actually finance the car loan for you. Again, check with your local Bank. Now is the time to save for a NEW CAR!... AGAIN...GOOD LUCK!

Disclaimer: This is what I did, it doesn't mean it will be the same for anyone else who wishes to import a vehicle. This is for information purposes only. I'm am not liable for anything else, as I'm posting my experience.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1338 posts
52 upvotes
Thanks for the summary!! Hopefully we all can contribute to this thread and ask questions here instead of the existing thread in Hot Deals.

Great Job!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
yyz2hkg wrote: Next...Canada Customs. At the booth, I told the officer I was importing a vehicle to Canada...gave me a yellow slip and told me to see the officers at the building. Parked the car again and went to the desk and showed them all paperwork again. They will also fill out "FORM 1" whcih you'll need later on. Showed them the Bill of Sale and they converted the amount I paid into CAD dollars. After that, the amount converted into CAD , I was charged the GST. If it's a used vehicle, declare the value and don't under declare the value of the car. Canada Customs has the ability to seize your vehicle and charges laid if you try to lie. Oh yeah...there is a import duty fee of 6.1% if the vehicle isn't made in North America and $100 A/Conditioning Tax plus the $185+tax. Interac/Credit Card is only accepted, no Cash. Another 15 mins. After all is paid, you're good to go.
2 specific corrections/clarifications to this:

First bold point: The vehicle (and all goods in it) will be seized, you won't be charged/arrested under the Customs Act unless the officer feels you have hindered them. You will however have committed an offence under the Custom Act.

Second bold point: As of 8 months ago the RIV Importation Fee is now $209.00 and only credit card was accepted NO Interac. This is because the $209.00 goes directly to Transport Canada, the funds do NOT go to the CBSA.

Cash/Credit/Interac is accepted for payment of any and all duties/taxes owing, but again, NOT for the RIV Vehicle Import fee (Credit card only).
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1650 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
yyz, is your odometer in mph or kph? I hear usually they don't hassle you about that although legally i think it's supposed to be in kph?

What car did you buy and how much did you save? Congrats.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
enko wrote: yyz, is your odometer in mph or kph? I hear usually they don't hassle you about that although legally i think it's supposed to be in kph?

Most US cars have 'KPH' in small font underneath miles so it should be okay.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
enko wrote: yyz, is your odometer in mph or kph? I hear usually they don't hassle you about that although legally i think it's supposed to be in kph?

The MPH are on top...but the KPH are in the inner part of the odometer...I've kinda gotten used to it now...I saved approx 5 figures...on the same model, if I were to purchase here. I don't want to get into specifics, but it was a considerable amount. I can PM you with invoices.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: 2 specific corrections/clarifications to this:

First bold point: The vehicle (and all goods in it) will be seized, you won't be charged/arrested under the Customs Act unless the officer feels you have hindered them. You will however have committed an offence under the Custom Act.

Second bold point: As of 8 months ago the RIV Importation Fee is now $209.00 and only credit card was accepted NO Interac. This is because the $209.00 goes directly to Transport Canada, the funds do NOT go to the CBSA.

Cash/Credit/Interac is accepted for payment of any and all duties/taxes owing, but again, NOT for the RIV Vehicle Import fee (Credit card only).
Thanks cwb27...Fixed and added...thanks for the corrections.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1356 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Excellent information.

A good match to my blog on how you can save thousands buying in the US and importing it yourself.
Dec 5, 2005
550 posts
Calgary
Time to go car shopping!!
Get sideways... Life is too short to be straight.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3247 posts
1807 upvotes
Sewert wrote: Time to go car shopping!!
Even cheaper in Alberta...Only 1 tax!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1650 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
yyz2hkg wrote: The MPH are on top...but the KPH are in the inner part of the odometer...I've kinda gotten used to it now...I saved approx 5 figures...on the same model, if I were to purchase here. I don't want to get into specifics, but it was a considerable amount. I can PM you with invoices.
If you could PM the info that'd be great. I'm a huge fan of buying new from the US. For my Mazda the savings didn't justify it, but when I was considering a Subaru, it was ******** how much Subaru Canada is ripping off their customers.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
53 upvotes
On the list, it specifically lists some manufacturers (Fiat, Peugeot) as being completely inadmissible. Ferrari is on the list but Lamborghini is not on the list at all! I heard that imported Lambos are considered on a case-by-case basis, and you have to make a special appointment and interview with RIV. Anyone done this and know how this works? Since you can get a Mucierlargo or Gallardo Spyder for $50k less than what the Canadian dealer charges I bet there are lots of RFDers dying to import one! :lol:
Jun 1, 2005
799 posts
5 upvotes
Awesome summary. I performed everything above to get my subie leggy into canada! Just waiting for compliance label.

To saves some time, you can call RIV and ask them to fax or e-mail form 2 to you. This saved me approx 7 businness days, and I from when I got my vehicle to when I got my plates it took me 4 days (two days being a Sat/Sunday).

Just a tip!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2004
1022 posts
76 upvotes
rtto5588 wrote: Awesome summary. I performed everything above to get my subie leggy into canada! Just waiting for compliance label.

To saves some time, you can call RIV and ask them to fax or e-mail form 2 to you. This saved me approx 7 businness days, and I from when I got my vehicle to when I got my plates it took me 4 days (two days being a Sat/Sunday).

Just a tip!
So all in all how much did you save after all the fees and taxes by buying your car in the US?
Dec 25, 2004
681 posts
6 upvotes
Turn this into a fullblown article like Canrocks did and have it posted on the main site. Maybe RFD will even PAY you.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1064 posts
324 upvotes
Good summary....I'm leaving on Thursday to pick up my fathers Subaru in Maine. I got mine there 2 months ago.

Couple of things to add....

You don't need the recall clearance letter until after you get home and take it to Canadian Tire. Subaru For example wants a copy of the title (both sides) and the bill of sale faxed to them before they fax and/or mail you the recall clearance letter.

You can bring a vehicle back for someone else but you need a signed letter from the owner/buyer which lists you by name as being assigned to bring the vehicle into Canada on their behalf.

As someone else mentioned....don't wait for the RIV to mail you form 2....get them to email it or fax it....just wait a day or so after clearing the border and then call them with your case number (the number at the top of form 1) and they will send you form 2.

Make sure your insurance company will cover the vehicle and once you get the vin Number....go to them and get an insurance slip.

In the case of Subaru's....they come standard with daytime running lights and breeze through the process with no problem.

Be prepared to possible pay higher PST in some provinces where they might pull out the redbook value and charge you PST on it instead of what you paid.

Some US border crossings want the original Title sent to them...call them and ask. The dealer usually will do this for you once you tell them where you want to cross the border at.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

Also, call the us customs where you will be crossing when you figure they should have received the fax or package with the title and ask them when the 72 hour wait period will be up.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Tuppin wrote: You can bring a vehicle back for someone else but you need a signed letter from the owner/buyer which lists you by name as being assigned to bring the vehicle into Canada on their behalf.
This is not correct.

As of 8 months ago this is incorrect, however if you can supply an official source for this information I will obviously accept it.

When I was a CBSA Officer the person who bought the vehicle is the person who has to import it and be there and sign all the paperwork at the Port of Entry. THE ONLY exceptions to this would be if a dealership was the one doing it for you OR you buy the vehicle, get it fully certified to be in Canada and resell it again once it was fully a "Canadianized Vehicle" (i.e gone thru the full RIV process).
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1064 posts
324 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: This is not correct.

As of 8 months ago this is incorrect, however if you can supply an official source for this information I will obviously accept it.

When I was a CBSA Officer the person who bought the vehicle is the person who has to import it and be there and sign all the paperwork at the Port of Entry. THE ONLY exceptions to this would be if a dealership was the one doing it for you OR you buy the vehicle, get it fully certified to be in Canada and resell it again once it was fully a "Canadianized Vehicle" (i.e gone thru the full RIV process).
Whoa...I'm planning to bring my father's car across for him this Friday so I hope that I will be able to. I called the RIV and they said with a signed letter it would be ok. I called Canada customs at the border where I will be crossing and they told me that a signed letter would be ok...but to have a lawyer sign/witness it. I also called US costoms and they said a signed letter would be sufficient.

So I'm hoping that will get me through....I'll let you know for sure on Saturday!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)