Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Free 100,000 Petro Points when you use Citi MasterCheques

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2009 4:11 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 26, 2003
53 posts
I believe the 3.9% cheques have this 1% charge whereas the 2.9% ones don't. I got the 2.9% cheques and a friend got the 3.9%, we are going to compare them at work tomorrow. Anyone else notice this?
Kev84 wrote: i got those cheques too...but some where in small print it says all transfer are balance to 1% charge :(

or am i mistaken..
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2883 posts
1622 upvotes
dealers wrote: Oh, so there are different kind of cheques, 3.95, 2.9% etc....

can't wait to boost up my credit limit and get the 100,000 Petro Points!!
How much are you trying to get your limit boosted to?

and what is the minimum credit limit needed to take full advantage of this promotion?
Nov 16, 2005
465 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
damn...not a hot deal for me....

1% of all transfer.....
$100 for 100,000 points

T_T
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1328 posts
294 upvotes
Kanata
Kev84 wrote: i got those cheques too...but some where in small print it says all transfer are balance to 1% charge :(

or am i mistaken..
Where did you see the mention of 1%? I could swear I've read it like 5 times and still don't see that 1%!!!
Apr 4, 2003
128 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
marklin wrote: Where did you see the mention of 1%? I could swear I've read it like 5 times and still don't see that 1%!!!
I just received my cheques today too, and I see the 1% written in the fine print. :( It is at the bottom of the first page (the letter) beside the **.

I've got the 3.9% offer though.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1328 posts
294 upvotes
Kanata
GiantBear wrote: I just received my cheques today too, and I see the 1% written in the fine print. :( It is at the bottom of the first page (the letter) beside the **.

I've got the 3.9% offer though.
Well well, this is really getting bizzare, first, I don't have the "**" in fine print, only "1" and "2", and I still don't see that damn 1%! Perhaps you guys out in the west have different mailout from Citi?? here's a scan of my fine print, please tell me yours is different!

[IMG]http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/7/1 ... b4ea43.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1794 posts
631 upvotes
Mississauga
marklin wrote: Well well, this is really getting bizzare, first, I don't have the "**" in fine print, only "1" and "2", and I still don't see that damn 1%! Perhaps you guys out in the west have different mailout from Citi?? here's a scan of my fine print, please tell me yours is different!
I got the 2.9% offer today. I don't have that 1% fee anywhere. the fine print on my letter is exactly the same as yours, except the interest rate is 2.9%.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1243 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
aximrocks wrote: I got the 2.9% offer today. I don't have that 1% fee anywhere. the fine print on my letter is exactly the same as yours, except the interest rate is 2.9%.
Mine was 2.9% too but they have to posted to the account by July, 2007 not Mar 31, 2007. Chq# 664 to 666.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
God they like to confuse the hell out of us.

Did everyone receive something because I didn't receive anything and I love these promotions.
Apr 4, 2003
128 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
marklin wrote: Well well, this is really getting bizzare, first, I don't have the "**" in fine print, only "1" and "2", and I still don't see that damn 1%! Perhaps you guys out in the west have different mailout from Citi?? here's a scan of my fine print, please tell me yours is different!
Sorry I don't have easy access to a scanner.

Mine is exactly the same as yours in the fine print... except I've got the "**" in there which is between fineprint #2 and "Please read the T&C...".

It states as follows: (copied from my mailing)

--
** Each balance transfer will be treated as a "Promotional Transfer Cheque" and will be subject to a balance transfer fee of 1% of the amount transferred, as stated in the Citibank PETRO-POINTS MasterCard Cardmember Agreement Rate Schedule. The fee will be added to the principal amount transferred.
--

There is a possibility that this 1% fee idea is for BC only, at the bottom right corner of the letter, it has a code "JanBC-P1N-01/07E".

I've got cheque numbers 1046 - 1048 if that gives any insights...

I do not like this... :cry:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1328 posts
294 upvotes
Kanata
No, the cheque numbers don't tell a thing because I got exact same cheque numbers as you do, also 3.9%.. But that code seems to give a clue, too bad I don't have the letter with me now at work, but I'll definitely check it out tonight. Before this thing is sorted out, I am not depositing the cheque!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1243 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
GiantBear wrote: Sorry I don't have easy access to a scanner.

Mine is exactly the same as yours in the fine print... except I've got the "**" in there which is between fineprint #2 and "Please read the T&C...".

It states as follows: (copied from my mailing)

--
** Each balance transfer will be treated as a "Promotional Transfer Cheque" and will be subject to a balance transfer fee of 1% of the amount transferred, as stated in the Citibank PETRO-POINTS MasterCard Cardmember Agreement Rate Schedule. The fee will be added to the principal amount transferred.
--

There is a possibility that this 1% fee idea is for BC only, at the bottom right corner of the letter, it has a code "JanBC-P1N-01/07E".

I've got cheque numbers 1046 - 1048 if that gives any insights...

I do not like this... :cry:
Mine has the code "JanBC-P2N-01/07E". So it's not related to BC.

I also have a little paragraph inbetween point 1 & 2 with a little triangle but has nothing to do with 1% fee.

Forgot to mention,
"Any cheque posted after June 30, 2007 will not earn any Petro-points. Bonus Poinst will be posted to your account by August 2007.*
Nov 26, 2003
53 posts
tomtong wrote: Mine has the code "JanBC-P2N-01/07E". So it's not related to BC.

I also have a little paragraph inbetween point 1 & 2 with a little triangle but has nothing to do with 1% fee.
According to Petro anyone who has abused their cheques will get that 1% balance transfer fee, so for the people who have not used cheques before or not received any points for transfers will not get that 1% charge. I guess Petro is getting smart now.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1328 posts
294 upvotes
Kanata
Don't know if this makes sense, but can I get 100,000 points at every deposit (assuming my limit is $10,000) or is it 100,000 points total throughout the promotion period? because I figure with 3 cheques and $10,000 limit and 3 months of promotion, I could make a run of 300,000 points, no?

Someone posted earlier saying he racked up like 460,000 points during the promo, is it possible?
Apr 4, 2003
128 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
marklin wrote: Don't know if this makes sense, but can I get 100,000 points at every deposit (assuming my limit is $10,000) or is it 100,000 points total throughout the promotion period? because I figure with 3 cheques and $10,000 limit and 3 months of promotion, I could make a run of 300,000 points, no?

Someone posted earlier saying he racked up like 460,000 points during the promo, is it possible?
marklin: have you've used these promo cheques before? I wonder because James00 said (with the post above yours) that Citi tags on the 1% fee for the people whom'd took advantage of this offer before (like myself).

The total is 100,000 points for the whole promotion, that's the maximum you can get (with this specific promo). It used to be unlimited points about 1 to 1.5 years ago. So it is not possible now to rack up 460k points.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1243 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
James00 wrote: According to Petro anyone who has abused their cheques will get that 1% balance transfer fee, so for the people who have not used cheques before or not received any points for transfers will not get that 1% charge. I guess Petro is getting smart now.
Is this already happened to you and Petro gives you this explanation? So far, how many points you collect through promotion chqs? I'm wondering if we will get flagged after collection of 100,000 pts from this promo. Just thinking how to avoid it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1028 posts
12 upvotes
I can confirm that the offer I have does NOT have the ** part. I only have 1 and 2, and there is NO mention of a 1% in the fine print.

Secondly, my code is:

JanBC-PEY-01/07E

Also, this would be my first time cashing in on this promotion.

One question for you veterans though. My offer says "..plus earn 10 PETRO-POINTS for every dollar transferred." Although later on it says that I can write myself a cheque and use the cash.

So, can anyone confirm if I will indeed get the points for cheques written to myself? The instructions leave this particular technique rather vague. Perhaps they've changed the wording purposely, therefore, they no longer require the '** 1%' stuff?
Jan 12, 2005
938 posts
17 upvotes
I think even regular cheques are treated as cash advance and subject to a fee anyway. If it doesn't say anything about the fee, then does it mean cash advance fee applies by default? :confused:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1328 posts
294 upvotes
Kanata
GiantBear wrote: marklin: have you've used these promo cheques before? I wonder because James00 said (with the post above yours) that Citi tags on the 1% fee for the people whom'd took advantage of this offer before (like myself).

The total is 100,000 points for the whole promotion, that's the maximum you can get (with this specific promo). It used to be unlimited points about 1 to 1.5 years ago. So it is not possible now to rack up 460k points.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Ah, that explains it all, thanks for clarifying....

To answer your question, no, I've never used the cheques before.. I have the cheque ready to deposit first thing tomorrow, I'll challenge that 1% fee!

So if our assumption is correct, that means people who got the letter without mention of 1% fee are likely first time cheque users (or non abusers)?? can anyone prove this wrong?
Jan 12, 2005
938 posts
17 upvotes
Just read through my cheques last night.
Mine is 2.9% one, I don't see any text about the 1% fee anywhere. And at the back page, it says that standard cash advance fee is waived for these cheques. This is the third time I recieve this type of cheque. I used all of them for the first time :-0 , and missed up at the second time> :( . Gona use them all this time! :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)