Protecting your computer with free software

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2009 4:12 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 3, 2003
137 posts

Protecting your computer with free software

In the Hot Deals section there has been some discussion about paid for software such as anti-virus programs for protecting your computer. It is probably a common belief that paid for software must be better than free software. This is not always the case. There are many programs that are free that are just as good, and some better, than any regular commercial software.

If you need proof of this then one only needs to look at Microsoft themselves as having some of the most buggy and problematic software there is/was. I know there are all kinds of views on different companies, philosophies, and legalities. My point here is to provide links to software that are free and very good at protecting your computer and as well as anything you have to pay for.

First off is Avira Antivir.
http://www.free-av.com/
This program consistently places in the top of anti-virus testing (http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02) and is light on resources. Avira is quick to respond to correspondence and to suspect file inspection requests. AVG is a favorite of many but it has fallen out of favor with me due its slowness to respond to new viruses. Avira updates their database many times a day. When using Avira, I would suggest that you schedule updates for at least 3 times a day. I have mine updated 4 times a day. Now this free program is not perfect in that it will nag you to buy it every time an update occurs. There are ways to disable the nag screen but I will leave that to users to search for. The free version of this program also does not guard against other malwares such as spyware and adware. This is where the next free program comes in.

Next on the list is ThreatFire:
http://www.threatfire.com/
This program is what does the work that the free version of Avira doesn't do, namely to protect against spyware and other malwares. It is also light on resources and does not bother you with constant pop-ups about system activity. It just does its job and also auto updates each day.

If you are connected to the Internet using a router then the two programs above are what I would consider the bare minimum in protecting your computer from the filthy Internet. If you are connecting your computer directly to the Internet then a software firewall can be helpful and is in fact a must. Software firewalls are nowhere near as safe as running behind a router but without a firewall and without extensive knowledge on the inner workings of networking setup you are just asking for trouble. If you are using a router, it's best that you disable UPnP on the router so malware can't take over the router.

So the next must have program is a firewall. The built in firewalls in XP and Vista are just adequate. It is my educated opinion that you need better. A firewall will help you control your computer from contacting the outside world in ways you don't want it to also. The built in firewall in XP only blocks inbound traffic, most of the time.

My recommended firewall is Kerio 2.1.5
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=keriopf get 2.1.5
This is OLD software. I am not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. It may be old, and it may have a couple of bugs, but it is still the best firewall that uses the least resources and has not been exploited like Norton's has or many other payware programs. It is fairly simple to use and understand.

Now the above 3 programs are the bare minimum for connecting your computer directly to the Internet. The following free programs are highly recommended as additional protection and checks.

Spyware Blaster is an immunization program against many types of malware.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
It makes it impossible or very difficult for many malware programs to take over your system, and many websites too. Update it every couple of days.

Spyware Terminator is much like ThreatFire, and many think it is better:
http://www.spywareterminator.com/
If installed as the primary real time protection against malwares you can expect to be bothered quite a bit with warnings. I have it installed, but as a scanning program only rather than a full time protector.

Spybot Search and Destroy has been around for a long time and is still one of the best:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
It is an immunization and scanner program. I also have this on my machine. Update it regularly too and make sure that immunizations are done.

Clamwin is another freeware anti-virus program, but it is for scanning only.
http://www.clamwin.com/
It auto-updates itself regularly and is a good back up scanner to double check but Avira is still far superior.

The combination of all these programs are installed and running on my computers right now. I have made changes in my preferred programs over the many years of my IT support business, but this is basically the best of the crop right now. I know there are other programs that are very good too but these work and are as good as it gets, free or $$$.

If you want some additional protection, use FireFox with the NoScript addon. This will help prevent websites from hijacking your browser.

Finally, nothing is perfect. I am not perfect. No software is perfect. These recommendations are from many years of experience in IT work and freeware. The biggest problem with preventing computer problems is the user him/herself. All the protection in the world will not help if common sense and some fear isn't applied to the decision to click on a suspicious link, open an attachment in an email that was unexpected, or bypassing the programs protecting your computer just because you MUST see that page or video that someone thought was going to make you laugh.

I am here to help if people want it.

P.S.

The Kerio 2.1.5 firewall is not recommended for Vista, and I am not even sure if it would work at all. Zone Alarm would be a fair choice for Vista.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2006
1035 posts
256 upvotes
Waterloo
Thanks, very useful. Currently I am using symantec antivirus (enterprise, got from university) + superantispyware(free version) + comodo firewall (free). I agree with you that freewares also do good today.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
I use Antivir along with ZoneAlarm as a firewall.

I've heard people gripe about various problems with ZoneAlarm, but I've never had any significant problem with it over 10 years and a dozen different computers, and by now I know it well enough to trust it. I tried the latest versions of Kaspersky and Trend for both AV and firewall on my computers recently, and gave up on both of them (too bloated, too slow, too many mysterious problems). The freeware is better.

AdAware finds more stuff than Spybot S&D, although recent versions are way over-enthusiastic about identifying too much stuff that isn't much of a threat. If you can get through that first scan and "Ignore" all the stuff you don't want to bother with, it's ok after that.

Don't forget the simple defensive measures: know what your computer is doing by watching the activity lights on the computer and the internet modem, check the active task list once in a while and know what tasks should be running. Be suspicious if your computer is doing something that it shouldn't be. Aggressively clean out junkware that confuses your view of what's going on.
Oct 10, 2008
831 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Running Vista and AVG Anti-Virus does it for me; no complaints whatsoever. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
here's a free tip

don't run windows with administrative rights. you wouldn't run as root in linux so don't run as admin on windows

As for programs, I don't bother with adaware and spybot. Both are fairly obsolete nowadays in the malware removal world. You have programs like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntispyware that are far superior.

and if you want to try something different, there's always sandboxing programs like Sandboxie.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
I have comodo (contains both antivirus and firewall) and spybot installed on my laptop as a test run right now. Both seem fairly decent.
Oct 3, 2003
137 posts
Like I said, people will have differing opinions on "the best" or "my favorite". I do not want to get into those kinds of discussions. Mainly I don't want to because may of them are from naive beliefs such as "I have never had a problem therefore my anti-virus works fine". The problem with such approaches are that they are just samples of one, not representative of the big picture and what is possible. Just because a person thinks they never got a virus doesn't mean they can't easily with the protection they think they have, or that they haven't got a virus already. That is the point of not relying on one person's single experience. How can you say that you never had or have a virus if your anti-virus is sub par and didn't catch it? Many of the programs suggested here fall under the category of just as good or nearly the same. That's fine as long as everything that is mentioned is seen objectively. I have no personal stakes in any of the programs I suggest, nor am I offended if people disagree with my opinions. I am here just to provide help from my many years of experience.

pgqq:

Yes, Super Antispyware is good too, maybe as good as the ones I have listed. Comodo has been problematic in the past and is maybe a bit of a pain to run for some less knowledgeable people.

Aske01:

Zonealarm is a good one but a bit bloated IMHO. It may be a bit simpler to run for some people than Kerio 2.1.5. Kerio 2.1.5 is very easy on memory and resources however. AdAware was one of my favorites too until it got big and bloated. AdAware finds different things than Spybot, I agree. Spyware Terminator and Super Antispyware find more than both.

tr1xxy:

AVG has let multiple viruses get by on many systems that I have seen. I had it on my system but it kept missing viruses that were consistently picked up by Avira. I would strongly advise a change to Avira.

Dave98:

I agree that Spybot is an older kid on the block, but it is still effecitve as an additional layer as I have said. I have no direct experience with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but I have heard good things about it from trusted sources.

The main thing here is that the programs I have listed are effective and free. There might be other programs that work as well but the end user has to know which will work and which won't. With the software I have listed installed a user is as protected as it gets. Yes, many other programs can be substituted but the idea here is not to get into brand wars.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Super Antispyware only provide real time protection in their paid versions, not in their free versions. This does not negate their effectiveness in scanning and cleaning however where they are very good. Spyware Terminator provides full time protection as does ThreatFire for free thus the reason I have mentioned them instead. Comodo is a great firewall but I personally found its methods a bit obscure. I like to have firewall rules easy and clear to see and set as in Kerio 2.1.5.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
It's not free, but how does Webroot Spysweeper compare to Threatfire and S.Terminator?
Unlike antivirus due to compatibility, is it recommended to stack anti-spyware programs?
Oct 3, 2003
137 posts
zoolander wrote: It's not free, but how does Webroot Spysweeper compare to Threatfire and S.Terminator?
Unlike antivirus due to compatibility, is it recommended to stack anti-spyware programs?
I don't think that Webroot is bad, just not as good as Threatfire or Spyware Terminator.

You can have as many anti-virus programs and anti-spyware programs installed as you want, but only one of each type should be running in full time protection mode.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
Quite frankly, I don't bother running signature-based real time anti-spyware and I don't install it for any family/friends computers either. I just find them to be utterly pointless and a waste of system resources. And I know this statement goes a little against what the OP is trying to point out. However, I'd like to point out that Windows security is not as simple as just installing various "anti-whatever" programs.

Threatfire is a little different because it's behaviour based in which it detects and blocks malicious behaviour instead of trying to identify malware by signatures.

Even then, like I said in my previous post, most of ones malware problems can be prevented by not using an administrative account for everyday tasks and keeping your software/windows patches up to date.
Banned
Jul 31, 2008
1423 posts
21 upvotes
Malwarebytes, Comodo, Avast Anti-Virus is what I run, between those 3 and common sense I've been pretty good at not getting any viruses.
Q9550@3.4ghz | P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper | Sapphire 4870 HD 1gb | Corsair 750TX | CM 690
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
avira has a very high detection rating and got some nice awards.

i wouldnt trust that threatsense thing at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
59 upvotes
this is probably about the tenth time that someone has posted a thread telling others about free security software. Please reuse old ones instead of posting new ones.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
I am running Vista and AVG Anti-Virus, so far so good.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
I run Kubuntu 8.10. Free, and NO, ZIP, ZERO wasted resources on protection. Hard to beat that!
Jul 24, 2006
305 posts
43 upvotes
London
I still use an old computer for my kids with Windows ME as the operating system. It seems most Antivirus programs require a more modern OS. . Do you know of any that will work with ME? I'd had to have to upgrade an otherwise sufficient computer. . Thanks in advance.
Oct 3, 2003
137 posts
Thanks for the correction matkun.

outlier617:

WinME is not a recommended OS even when it came out. It is the worst OS Microsoft has ever made. I understand the desire to not waste money but I think that trying to protect WinME is an uphill battle. I do not know of any particular solutions for WinME. I would switch to Linux if price is a concern and it will do what is wanted, or spend the $300 and get a modern computer with XP on it, or even $80 or so for a used one with XP.

For all the rest of the suggestions, yes there are many other alternatives to the programs I have recommended. They are not free, or not as good, or in some cases even bad for your computer.

The point of my original post was to supply a comprehensive protection package that is safe and effective for the uneducated user. If you already know about computer security then the post was not for your benefit directly. The complete suite I have recommended works and all the programs are at the top of their field in effectiveness. If you choose to use other programs than I wish you luck. if you use "my" suite of programs you will be using the best and I will be glad to help with any questions.
Dec 7, 2003
886 posts
128 upvotes
What firewall would you recommend for Vista 64 bit? Zone Alarm only works on Vista 32 bit.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)