Ongoing Deal Discussion

Always

WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Oct 31, 2007
67 posts
it would be totally ok if Oakley treat USA cosumers the same way as it does to Canadians. this market differentiation is actually consumer discrimination. guess Oakley must think all Canadians are smart enough to be able to check out US prices by using a proxy. Or it might think Canadians are simply super rich.

that's disgusting...

[quote="dealzuser" post_id="5950193" time="1195440042" user_id="13272"]I think we are reading too many price fixing conspiracies here. :) I don't think Oakley did this just to hide prices from Canadians. There are lots of sites that are blocked from Canada. For example, I heard that from the US, you can watch TV episodes from network's website, but it's blocked from Canada.

BTW, my curiosity did get the best of me. :) I priced an Oakley pair of glasses on the US site through a free proxy server. For example:

- POLARIZED OAKLEY NANOWIRE
Compare car prices between U.S. and Canada at www.ATaleofTwoPrices.com
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
J233 wrote: I've been reading about all these long trips from NH to Ontario in your new AWD Subarus. From the break in perspective...is it OK for a brand new vehicle to go 75mph for 9 hrs ? Just curious...
Actually that is nice and easy on the engine. Just do not LOCK IN your speed. But start/stop, stop and go, onramp acceleration, etc is what is hardest on the engine.
Rules for Subaru break in = super easy.
1. keep it under 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles
2. don't go the same speed for more than 15 minutes... in other words, don't use cruise on 75 for the whole trip. cruise at 65, then 70, then 75, then 65, then 70, etc changing it every 15 minutes if you have to use cruise, otherwise, you should naturally vary the speed enough just driving normal.
Jun 24, 2007
138 posts
Dreyfus wrote: I see some of you are opting out of the TC/RIV/MFRs waltz due to 2008 CMVSS114. Buying used is always risky when you are in a strange city without access to a reliable mechanic for inspections. As far as I can ascertain www.carmax.com runs a large and ethical used car sales network. Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway fame has bought a large stake in the company. Buffet is known for his good ethical practices and due diligence when he acquires stakes in other companies. They are not near the Cdn. border but its worth the drive.
Money back no questions five days, thats as good as it gets.
Check it out. Don't let the pols dlrs mfrs grind you down to the point where you give up. Fight back buy late model used.
I have heard some major horror stories about Carmax (we don't have them in WA so I have no personal experience, though.) For anybody buying a used car, I Think http://www.carchex.com/ provides a pretty neat service... They will send a tech to wherever the used car you like is at, and give it a mechanical inspection, take pictures, and write a report and send it to you. I have no affilitation with them and have never used them but I thought it was a pretty neat idea.
Dec 31, 2005
81 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Nice tips and thanks.
eastsidesubaru wrote: Actually that is nice and easy on the engine. Just do not LOCK IN your speed. But start/stop, stop and go, onramp acceleration, etc is what is hardest on the engine.
Rules for Subaru break in = super easy.
1. keep it under 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles
2. don't go the same speed for more than 15 minutes... in other words, don't use cruise on 75 for the whole trip. cruise at 65, then 70, then 75, then 65, then 70, etc changing it every 15 minutes if you have to use cruise, otherwise, you should naturally vary the speed enough just driving normal.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
I've now officially joined the club. Picked up my new Hyundai Sante Fe on Thursday, went to the inspection, RIV office and MTO on Friday. My car is now officially registered. My conservative estimate of my savings with the exchange at $ 1.06 is about $ 8000.00. For what I paid, I would get a Honda Civic but instead, I now have a mid size suv that'll fit my growing family with excellent trims and features that I could not justify buying here at Canadian prices.

I would like to especially thank RFDers: spdztr and georgetoy for answering so many of my questions. Alysomji, yyzh2kg for the excellent and detailed thread on what to expect during the process. Also thanks to Kocur, jonsa, diigii and of course Monsieurmaggot for starting the thread. Many RFDer whom I've never wrote to but read your experiences, I thank you as well.

My day:

6:30am - Breakfast at McDonalds at Atrium on Bay food court. Gross.

6:45 am - Arrived at bus terminal Dundas/Bay thinking there would be a huge lineup for tickets for the 8:15 am bus. There wasn't. There were, however, lots of weirdo talking to themselves. Bought a 2 way cheapest tix for about $ 40.00 as others have suggested to avoid possible problems at the boarder.

8:15 am - 25 of us boarded the bus, picked a spot and settled down.

10:45 am - Arrived at US boarder, one guy working. Took him 45 mins to clear all of us as there were many who couldn't speak English. Asked me the questions, told him I was going to buy a car, declared the bank draft, filled the paperwork for that.

12:00 pm - Arrived at US bus terminal, dealer picked me up, 12 minute drive to the dealership

12:30 pm- Filled various paperwork, found out they spelled my name and address wrong on all documents. Re did documents, tried to upsell me extended warranty, rustproofing. Declined. Salesman showed me my car and I was blown away inside as it was waaay better than the base model that I drove here. Giggling like a school girl inside.

1:00 pm - Left the dealership to drive home. 30 minutes into the drive, I realize that I read the google map wrong and was driving towards Boston. !@#$^*! turned around, drove back the right way and the slush was forming on my wipers.

3:15 pm - Arrived at US customs , Queenston/Lewiston customs afterwaiting about 20 minutes in line as there were many cars waiting to cross. Got to the customs office, went to the red door, and went upstairs, wrong place as it's on the main floor. There was only one female customs officer and her assistant. Both were cranky. They could not find my paperwork. I called my salesman who was prepared to fax the confirmation over. Another 5 minutes later she finds it but doesn't tell me. It was raining hard so she never came out to look at any of the car that were being exported. Stamped my forms and I left. Total time, about 15 minutes.

3:45 pm - Arrived at Canadian custom, nice blond lady helped me, filled forms, paid GST. Again, nobody came out to look at the vehicle. Left after about 20 minutes

................Continue next post
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
5:15 pm - Arrived at the most western part of the 407, hopped on, got off around Leslie, 45 minutes drive, minor traffic compared to if I took the 401 in rush hour.

---------

Next day

Went to RIV office, did form 2. 10 minute wait, 3 people in line. Nothing to alter on my car as the dealer had already installed the running daylight for me.

There was a posted letter from RIV stating that they are looking into the September 2007 immobilizer issue and any update will be posted on their site.

Went to Crappy tire, although there was nothing to do, I had to wait for an available inspector to do his 3 minute job.

Went to MTO, registered everything, paid PST. I wanted to replace my old, bent plates with a new set but the same numbers, letter and it would cost $ 250.00 ??!!! as it would have considered a personalized plates. Yet a set of replacement plates cost $ 10.00

Now I just have to get use to looking at the smaller KM reading and having my trip odometer in miles but for the savings, I think I can handle it.

As long as my vehicle doesn't turn out to be a POS during the 5 year 50000 miles warranty in Canada and 10 year power train warranty in the US then I should be fine. Otherwise, it'll be my first and last HYUNDAI.

The end.

------------

At least $ 8000.00 saved.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1261 posts
602 upvotes
I'm in the last throws of a purchase decision but I'm wondering about timing. If I bought the car in December to complete the transaction but then brought it back after Jan 1, would I pay the 6% or 5% GST? It's an issue of timing the exchange of currency (of only I had done it at $1.10!) and ease of getting away for pickup.

Any tax accountants here? I took the CGA course in another lifetime and career and have no clue.
Jul 24, 2007
545 posts
1 upvote
tkl wrote: I've now officially joined the club. Picked up my new Hyundai Sante Fe on Thursday, went to the inspection, RIV office and MTO on Friday. My car is now officially registered. My conservative estimate of my savings with the exchange at $ 1.06 is about $ 6500.00. For what I paid, I would get a Honda Civic but instead, I now have a mid size suv that'll fit my growing family with excellent trims and features that I could not justify buying here at Canadian prices.

I would like to especially thank RFDers: spdztr and georgetoy for answering so many of my questions. Alysomji, yyzh2kg for the excellent and detailed thread on what to expect during the process. Also thanks to Kocur, jonsa, diigii and of course Monsieurmaggot for starting the thread. Many RFDer whom I've never wrote to but read your experiences, I thank you as well.
CONGRATULATIONS TKL ON YOUR NEW CAR! ENJOY YOUR NEW CAR AND THE MONEY YOU SAVED BY BEING A SMART SHOPPER!!! :cheesygri *clap clap clap clap*
Apr 26, 2006
39 posts
Chubien wrote: Champlain is just closer to where I work, I still have to bring the paperwork in person this allows me to do so without taking too much time off.
But since you need to pass through the same port where you submitted your documents when you bring in your new car. It's much longer trip than Highgate afterall.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
Dreyfus wrote: I see some of you are opting out of the TC/RIV/MFRs waltz due to 2008 CMVSS114. Buying used is always risky when you are in a strange city without access to a reliable mechanic for inspections. As far as I can ascertain www.carmax.com runs a large and ethical used car sales network. Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway fame has bought a large stake in the company. Buffet is known for his good ethical practices and due diligence when he acquires stakes in other companies. They are not near the Cdn. border but its worth the drive.
Money back no questions five days, thats as good as it gets.
Check it out. Don't let the pols dlrs mfrs grind you down to the point where you give up. Fight back buy late model used.
Unfortunately, due to CMVSS 114, I won't be able to import a 2008 Rav4 V6. The dealers there won't even give me a quote, never mind sell one to me. And after it's sold, it'll be nearly impossible to get Toyota USA to give me a letter saying that the immobilizer conforms to CMVSS 114. I guess it'll be a Tribeca for me...
Oct 8, 2002
620 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
heinrich wrote: I'm happy to report that I'm enjoying my brand new Van Bortel Outback LL Bean... thanks to all who posted valuable information here!

Can you share in public or maybe pm me with the price? Or anyone else for that matter? We're looking to get the 2008 Outback LL Bean ourselves. Thank you.
Aug 9, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Following davehender's lead -- and his great letter -- I
Jul 26, 2007
82 posts
Hey Gang, FWIW, the money I saved by purchasing my Subie in the U.S., has just been used to convert my home over to Natural Gas (our homegrown Nova Scotia Resource) from Fuel Oil (subject to Arabic Whim). With the conversion done, I am still left with approx. $3,500 of my total vehicle purchase savings. Like MonsieurMaggot says, spend your savings in Canada on other useful stuff. As an added bonus, the Nat. Gas price vs. Fuel Oil is rather substantial, resulting in more savings. Also, until March 2008, the Gas Company is giving up to $4,000 in rebates to help the homeowner with the conversion costs.I am not sure yet how much I qualify for but a rebate is "a good thing". I can also sell my boiler(10 yr. old),burner,fuel tank(3 yr. old) for a decent price(already have 3 interested parties). Its truly amazing what buying in the U.S. can do for you when you factor in all the other possibilities. Plus having a vehicle that is simply a Blast to Drive, well it just can't get much better 'cept maybe a Lotto win on top of it all. Cheers and congrats to all you RFD savers out there! Have fun with your savings!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
tkl wrote: I've now officially joined the club. Picked up my new Hyundai Sante Fe on Thursday, went to the inspection, RIV office and MTO on Friday. My car is now officially registered. My conservative estimate of my savings with the exchange at $ 1.06 is about $ 6500.00. For what I paid, I would get a Honda Civic but instead, I now have a mid size suv that'll fit my growing family with excellent trims and features that I could not justify buying here at Canadian prices.

Congrats on the import, and welcome to the Santa Fe club!! My neighbour is going to pick his up this week also - he too was lucky in finding an '07 Limited model. Can't wait to see pictures.
Sep 3, 2007
659 posts
72 upvotes
Aurora
tkl wrote: 5:15 pm - Arrived at the most western part of the 407, hopped on, got off around Leslie, 45 minutes drive, minor traffic compared to if I took the 401 in rush hour.

---------

Next day

Went to RIV office, did form 2. 10 minute wait, 3 people in line. Nothing to alter on my car as the dealer had already installed the running daylight for me.
Congrats!!

Can you possibly point me where I can find RIV office. I have been searching their site www.riv.ca and for the world of it, can'g find it. I am going to pickup my car this Thursday and would like to do the form 2 at the riv office rather then online, seems faster, but can't find any of the office locations. I live in Markham ON. (407/McCowan)

On riv site, I found link to TC (transport canada) and they have office locations. Should I be going to transport canada office? I don't think so, but double checking?

Thanks so much for your help.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1155 posts
97 upvotes
joejack wrote: Congrats!!

Can you possibly point me where I can find RIV office. I have been searching their site www.riv.ca and for the world of it, can'g find it. I am going to pickup my car this Thursday and would like to do the form 2 at the riv office rather then online, seems faster, but can't find any of the office locations. I live in Markham ON. (407/McCowan)

On riv site, I found link to TC (transport canada) and they have office locations. Should I be going to transport canada office? I don't think so, but double checking?

here you go:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
405 The West Mall
Toronto ON M9C 5K7
1-888-848-8240
info@riv.ca
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
rf134a wrote: Unfortunately, due to CMVSS 114, I won't be able to import a 2008 Rav4 V6. The dealers there won't even give me a quote, never mind sell one to me. And after it's sold, it'll be nearly impossible to get Toyota USA to give me a letter saying that the immobilizer conforms to CMVSS 114. I guess it'll be a Tribeca for me...
Long shot but if we can find a US based resident(s) that gets transferred to Canada, and Toyota provides a letter to that US resident claiming the 2008 Toyota (whatever model) complies with CMVSS 114, could that letter be used as proof of compliance for whatever Toyota model?
Jan 1, 2007
137 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
joejack wrote: Congrats!!

RIV office - 405 The West Mall, Etobicoke - closes 4:30 PM http://www.riv.ca/english/html/contact_us.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)