Importing a 2008 Subaru Forester from Seattle to Saskatchewan

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2007 9:16 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 15, 2007
4 posts

Importing a 2008 Subaru Forester from Seattle to Saskatchewan

I have been interested in purchasing a Subaru for a while. In my research, I came across the website www.cars101.com.

The site is maintained by Joe Spitz who works for Carter Subaru in Seattle, Washington. It is a very comprehensive website covering everything you ever want to know about purchasing a Subaru.

After finally making up my mind on what vehicle and accessories I wanted, I phoned Joe. He turned out to be very honest and straightforward in his dealing. After all was said and done, the price still came in below MSRP.
Joe asked for a down payment, and I wired him the balance.

I had considered getting the car shipped, and of course Joe had shipping companies available, but in the end, I decided to drive the car home. I let Joe know which day I would be there to pick up the car, and when I got there, the vehicle was waiting for me.

I stepped in to the dealer, met Joe, signed the required documents, and I was on my way.

I drove to the Sweetgrass, Montana border crossing and imported the vehicle. (Nice drive, by the way) I had previously faxed my vehicle information to the fax number that Joe had provided to me, and there were no issues at the border. I went to the US side to export the vehicle, and then to the Canadian side to import the vehicle and pay the taxes and duty. There were no unforseen obstacles, and I was through the border in about half an hour. As a side note, there were about a dozen other people importing vehicles at the same time I was there.

I arrived back in Saskatchewan, took my paperwork to a license issuer, and had the car registered immediately. I didn't need to get the car inspected.

I highly recommend giving Joe a call if you are interested in purchasing a Subaru. I estimate I save about $6000 by purchasing the vehicle this way.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1261 posts
5 upvotes
Subaru of Canada is taking measures to protect their dealers now and have circulated a memo to it's dealers. Don't shoot the messenger (i.e. me), it was posted by a member in the Toronto Subaru Club who also happens to work at a dealership. He was just giving us a heads up.
New memo from Subaru Canada Inc. just hit dealers. Those who are thinking of importing an 08 model might want to think again.

"If a Canadian citizen purchases a Subaru vehicle in the U.S. with the intention of immediately registering the vehicle in Canada, they must be notified by the selling dealer that the Subaru Limited Warranty specifically states 'any and all repairs must be performed by an authorized Subaru dealer in the United States'.
Therefore Canadian residents who purchase a Subaru in the U.S. then register in Canada will have two viable options for obtaining warranty repairs.

1. Return the car to the U.S. for all warranty repairs at an authorized Subaru dealer at no charge. or,
2. Have the car repaired at an authorized Canadian Subaru dealer, pay for the repairs, then submit a copy of the Repair Order marked Paid to the SOA through the CDS department at; Subaru of America Inc.
Subaru Plaza
P.0. Box 6000
Cherry Hill , NJ
08034-6000
Attn CDS department "
07 and prev models years as well as US residents who are visitors to Canada only have the right to the current warranty agreement between US and Canada.
FS Items:
Jul 15, 2007
4 posts
No big deal. Get the work done, pay for it, and then get reimbursed by Subaru of America. It's better than some manufacturers not honoring warranties at all.
Sep 22, 2005
386 posts
1 upvote
Congrats. Glad things went so smoothly.

That's the car that I want, and the price that I like, but I am in Ontario, so what can I do? :confused:

Please give us an update on the Forester after you have had it a while.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Saving 6k sounds good. However, I'm wondering, if that's the saving from shipping the car. Don't forget you had to drive all the way back to Canada. Gas, mileage and time are all expenses. And how can they sell it at below MSRP. I wondered.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1261 posts
602 upvotes
The new process to get warranty work is inconvenient and clearly a half step to discourage cross border shopping. It will have two effects I believe. One, some potential Subaru buyers will say that it's too much of a hassle inspite of the potential savings and go buy a Toyota etc. Others will think that the savings are just too good to pass up and buy it in the US anyway. I spoke to Joe yesterday about a Legacy Limited. Taking $1000 of the MSRP buying in Canada, the savings are over $13 000 heading south. There is no way I would be in the market for that car this side of the border. I would be driving a Toyota or Honda instead. With this kind of potential savings, driving across the border just makes sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1087 posts
63 upvotes
To the OP, I thought that '08 Foresters were inadmissable in Canada (checking the RIV site). Is that not the case?

runningdog wrote: That's the car that I want, and the price that I like, but I am in Ontario, so what can I do? :confused:
Check out Van Bortel Subaru (www.vanbortelsubaru.com) or Northtown Subaru (www.northtown.subarusdc.com). Both are close to the Niagara border and many people have imported their Subarus from them. I'm actually kicking around the idea of getting a Forester to replace my P5. You can save $10K on an 2.5X Premium.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1087 posts
63 upvotes
deanstapleford wrote: You cannot import the 2008 Forester 'X' series, but the 'xt' is fine.
Oh, yeah... I guess I overlooked that. I'm looking at a non-Turbo version... wonder how many '07's are still on the dealer lots? I'll have to call a couple and see.

Also, I believe the Forester is made in Japan, correct? So you had to pay the 6.1% duty right?
Edit: just re-read your original post and you mentioned the duty. :)
Sep 22, 2005
386 posts
1 upvote
ggweci wrote: To the OP, I thought that '08 Foresters were inadmissable in Canada (checking the RIV site). Is that not the case?

Check out Van Bortel Subaru (www.vanbortelsubaru.com) or Northtown Subaru (www.northtown.subarusdc.com). Both are close to the Niagara border and many people have imported their Subarus from them. I'm actually kicking around the idea of getting a Forester to replace my P5. You can save $10K on an 2.5X Premium.
Thanks for this info. I have checked out their web sites and also found the import a car thread on RFD.
deanstapleford wrote: You cannot import the 2008 Forester 'X' series, but the 'xt' is fine.
Do you know why this is?
Jan 2, 2007
368 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
Nice stuff OP.

Saskatoon here, I'll be buying a Forrester XT from him once I get all things required...
Nov 27, 2006
70 posts
The Forester X cannot be imported for some strange reason that the key does not incorporate an imobilizer chip like the XT does.

However, according to www.cars101.com, models either built before September 07 or imported before September 07 are eligible (its a big difference between the two, I know).

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)