Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Crazy dell Deal - 640M

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2008 5:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
2177 posts
384 upvotes
jasperException wrote: How is it the I640m is "end of life" product when it is still available for purchase online at www.dell.ca? :?: :?: :?:
Good question. I hope to get a more 'with it' rep when I call back. Leaning towards just keeping the 640m and living with the light leakage, it really doesn't bother me but if Dell insists on offering a much more expensive replacement I will have to consider it. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2837 posts
1912 upvotes
YVR
I really see no reason to discontinue the 640m except for a refresh in the model line up. Hopefully, this will be true for the 6400 soon too. If they design some laptops like the spiffy m1310 they were showing, then i'm sure to get yet another Dell Lappy... :lol:
Jan 31, 2007
900 posts
114 upvotes
toronto(pape and dan…
Bubbagump wrote: I called and after an hour and a half I finally got mad and said either refund or send me a replacement. (mad in a nice but stern way).

tAs I stated early he screen would black out for a few seconds and come back. I know it sounds like UAC and thats what the tech wanted me to disable via the registry to which I said no way. This is my wifes laptop and if it offers even a little bit more security then I am all for it.

She wanted me to reinstall the video drivers which I ahve already done numerous times both in normal and safe mode.

Finally she put me through to the floor manager who was better and authorized the exchange and transferred me through to Customer Care which was a delight to speak to after the tier 1 tech.

So now they have to refresh the parts list and someone is to call me within 3 to 4 business days to arrange a replacement.

same here,my screen sometimes black out for a few seconds too.i call dell,told them the problem under 5 minute talking to the phone.and the guy told me,they will send me a new one.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Sometimes my screen will stay black after the PC resumed from sleep mode. Anyone has the same problem?
palibhasalalake wrote: same here,my screen sometimes black out for a few seconds too.i call dell,told them the problem under 5 minute talking to the phone.and the guy told me,they will send me a new one.
Jun 5, 2007
1 posts
Go to management tab and check: "Run HLT Command when OS is idle (restart required)"

Is this the only setting you need to worry about when using RMClock to eliminate the irritating noise that is coming from these Duo 2 core laptops? That is... leave everything else at default settings?

Will this cause the laptop to run dangerously hot?
Will this effect processor performance?
will the only effect be a somewhat shorter battery timeframe?

THANKS IN ADVANCE... :D
Jul 30, 2005
527 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver
g man wrote: Came home to a voicemail message from Dell. Called and was told the 640m is "end of life" product, meaning discontinued and I could choose between the 620 and 6400. The guy was pretty vague, said the 6400 was larger so I asked if he meant the screen size. He said "No, it is just um... larger." I said I'd call back after thinking about it.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if I should just stay with the leaky light 640. How do you make sure you get the same specs on a replacement, extra battery and everything?? Got some research to do.
If you can get the D620, get it. It is a very nice looking laptop.
-------------------------------------------
Now located in GVR
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1420 posts
297 upvotes
Wow, I hope they call me back giving me the option of a D620.. that's awesome.
Banned
May 25, 2004
2039 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone know if include extra battery and upgrade wireless card in replacement machine too? I know D620 doesnt have from spec page above. 6400 has.

Wireless Communications

Dell has pulled out all of the stops in making the D620 wireless capable. Here's a quick rundown of the wireless options:
Wi-Fi Choices: Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 WiFi 802.11 a/b/g, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g, Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g
IrDA
Bluetooth (Dell Wireless350 BlueTooth internal wireless card)
WWAN (Cellular Broadband internet access) Choices:
o Dell Wireless 5505 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA (Vodafone UK, France, Germany)
o Dell Wireless 5500 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA ( Cingular US)
o Dell Wireless 5700 Mobile Broadband CDMA EVDO ( Verizon WirelessUS)
Banned
May 25, 2004
2039 posts
3 upvotes
Can anyone tell why battery life so low? I see 4+ hour with 6 cell in 630m when surf. Isn't all 6 cell same? Here on D620 only 2h36m. 6400 is 15.4`screen but more battery from notebook review!

The D620 can be configured with a 4-cell, 6-cell or 9-cell battery. The battery location is rather odd relative to other notebooks in that it is at the front and not the back of the laptop. If you get an extended life 9-cell battery it will stick out of the front a bit and create a sort of lip that extends 0.9". I have the 6-cell type battery and it does not stick out at all. With wi-fi on and screen at mid-brightness and doing tasks such as web browsing and emailing I got 2h 36m of battery life. That's decent, but not great. There are certainly thin-and-lights with better and I prefer to see 3 hours or a little more for a thin-and-light travel notebook. If you were to upgrade to the 9-cell you would certainly exceed 3 hours, but at the cost of extra weight and increased notebook size.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2507 upvotes
jigs wrote: Go to management tab and check: "Run HLT Command when OS is idle (restart required)"

Is this the only setting you need to worry about when using RMClock to eliminate the irritating noise that is coming from these Duo 2 core laptops? That is... leave everything else at default settings?

Will this cause the laptop to run dangerously hot?
Will this effect processor performance?
will the only effect be a somewhat shorter battery timeframe?

THANKS IN ADVANCE... :D
The HLT command tells the CPU to go into a sleep mode that reduces power consumption. The CPU can recover from this mode very quickly so there is virtually no performance difference while greatly reducing idle power consumption, and on a notebook, increased battery life.

However, every OS since Windows 98 should already be doing this.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
2177 posts
384 upvotes
Can't decide between keeping the 640 or swapping for 6400 or 620... the 620 is attractive if I was going to sell it but it looks like I'll be keeping it. The inferior build quality of the 6400 is holding me back even if it has better muti-media capabilities.
Banned
May 25, 2004
2039 posts
3 upvotes
Okay from what I see:

D620===6400
14`===15.4`
No wireless N===wireless N
Worst battery life===Ok battery life
9 cell stick out===9 cell flushed

Can anyone name more difference
Jul 30, 2005
527 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver
g man wrote: Can't decide between keeping the 640 or swapping for 6400 or 620... the 620 is attractive if I was going to sell it but it looks like I'll be keeping it. The inferior build quality of the 6400 is holding me back even if it has better muti-media capabilities.
If you are in Vancouver, I would not mind switching laptops with you. You can have my 640, I will take your future 620. I been working on the 620s at my work in the IT department. Setting them up for government workers. It is a beautiful machine. I will have to read back on your old emails to see what is wrong with your old machine.
Now located in GVR
Jul 30, 2005
527 posts
131 upvotes
Vancouver
tjuzer wrote: Okay from what I see:

D620===6400
14`===15.4`
No wireless N===wireless N
Worst battery life===Ok battery life
9 cell stick out===9 cell flushed

Can anyone name more difference
I believe the D620 is alot better built though. Feels alot more solid then the 6400s.
Why is the D620 worst battery life? I would think a smaller screen= more battery life?
I personally like the 14 inch monitors more then the larger 15.4 ones. 14 inchers are alot more portable then the 15.4 inch ones. Size and weight.
Now located in GVR
Banned
May 25, 2004
2039 posts
3 upvotes
victoriaboy wrote: I believe the D620 is alot better built though. Feels alot more solid then the 6400s.
Why is the D620 worst battery life? I would think a smaller screen= more battery life?
I personally like the 14 inch monitors more then the larger 15.4 ones. 14 inchers are alot more portable then the 15.4 inch ones. Size and weight.
I don't know. I read this in notebookreview.com for both notebook. Battery life list as pro for 6400 and con for d620

For D620:

With wi-fi on and screen at mid-brightness and doing tasks such as web browsing and emailing I got 2h 36m of battery life. That's decent, but not great. There are certainly thin-and-lights with better and I prefer to see 3 hours or a little more for a thin-and-light travel notebook. If you were to upgrade to the 9-cell you would certainly exceed 3 hours, but at the cost of extra weight and increased notebook size.

Cons
Battery life with 6-cell battery is under 3 hours with wi-fi on and medium screen brightness, would have been nice to see it over 3 hours

For 6400:

Battery life on the 6400 is very respectable. I wasn't expecting much and I almost ordered an extra to go with it. Under normal tasks (WiFi on, 75% brightness, Windows Media Visualizations), the battery lasted about 3 hours and 15 minutes. With WiFi off, and playing games with low brightness, I was able to get about 3 hours and 34 minutes. I bet that you can squeeze 4 hours if you really wanted.

Pros
Good battery life

So 6400 have more life even when 75% brightness compaer to 50% on d620? And just for reference I get over 4 when just use wifi 6 cell with 630m. How come IBM get 10-14 hour?
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
A similar config D620 will runs you about $12xx with single battery but with 3 years warranty and newer T5500 instead of T5300 on EPP price plan. It is thinner than the 640m and is a business class notebook with business oriented feature like TPM.

640m is better in following areas imo:
- battery location (in the back).
- MediaPlay feature
- Firewire port
- Wirless N
- Media Reader (SD/XD/CF/MS)

D620 is better in following areas:
- business class notebook, probably better built but...
- thinner
- optional weight saver, by swap out the optical drive module
- TPM, fingerprint scanner, smart card reader.
- Integrated Eraser stick like the Thinkpad, plus touchpad

I like both :D
victoriaboy wrote: I believe the D620 is alot better built though. Feels alot more solid then the 6400s.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
2177 posts
384 upvotes
victoriaboy wrote: If you are in Vancouver, I would not mind switching laptops with you. You can have my 640, I will take your future 620. I been working on the 620s at my work in the IT department. Setting them up for government workers. It is a beautiful machine. I will have to read back on your old emails to see what is wrong with your old machine.
sorry, I'm in the hub of all evil - 100 km from Toronto. I really like the 620 looks wise but I can't see how Dell will send them out without skimming a few specs here and there for all of us who got the orig. 640m deal. Apparently they didn't lose money on the 'price error' but they would have to lose on any and all 640 for 620 exchanges without giving us less ram, no extra battery, etc.... I think.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
i have a 6400 and it's a pretty solid laptop, battery life for 6 cells w/ screen on lowest luminosity possible is about 4hrs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)