Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Curtis GPS - $47 at Canadian Tire (not only Kingston!)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2015 11:31 pm
Nov 26, 2002
624 posts
48 upvotes
st7860 wrote: a downloaded version of igo 8.3 works perfectly when the residentflash software is erased.

you just have to be VERY carefully which parts of residentflash you erase otherwise you'll brick it.
What specifically did you erase? Also, would the IGO8 and maps fit after that?

How much space did you gain after erasing the stock GPS software?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2007
2735 posts
78 upvotes
For the average Joe (or in my case, Jane), will this GPS be difficult to hack? :o I quickly scanned through the step-by-step instructions and don't even know what IGO8 is haha
Feb 21, 2009
41 posts
7 upvotes
Dundas
We went skiing in Ellicottville NY on Thursday from Hamilton. The OEM software worked fine.
At the border in Buffalo it automatically switched over to a US map.
The lane change feature worked great in the US, even where it switched from one lane to another in a very short time.
The only thing was that it tried to make us get off 190 thru Buffalo but we knew the way we wanted to go was via 190 to 90 west from many prevous trips.
Eventually it stopped nagging us and recalculated a route via 190-90.
Still reading all the posts, debating whether to unlock and mod.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
easy. just plug it into your computer's USB, and look at the TFAT drive. it has a shell.ini with a single line that points to the resident software.

change that line to an appropriate shell that you want to use and bingo, its unlocked
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Mar 11, 2008
221 posts
79 upvotes
Hello, just a note that Fergus still had 40+ in stock as of 10:00am. Neither Guelph store has any. Cheers!
Aug 8, 2008
455 posts
316 upvotes
CoconutJoe wrote: I agree with pretty much everything you've said. The only thing I question is the POIs...personally, I found the TeleAtlas POIs much more comprehensive than the Navteq files (I think I remember that being the general consensus on other boards too). Here's a real-world example...I wanted to find my local Honda dealership. Using Navteq (2008.Q2) it didn't even have Honda in the list of auto makers! No problem (and so much more) with the TeleAtlas POIs (NA 2008.4).

Even if people didn't hack it, it's still a capable GPS for under $50. Regardless of what software, maps and POIs you choose, hacking it just makes it so much better.
You can load the navteq Q2 maps and the Teleatlas POI if you include
[poi]
enable_pois_before_080217=1

In your sys.txt

This way best of both worlds :)
Mar 7, 2009
86 posts
11 upvotes
Fredericton
masterc wrote: Which version of tomtom are you using? link?
Navigon7 is pretty nice. I only have Ont maps for it, and my version has no tts. But the reality view is nice and the interface is clean and easy to use.
tomtom 7.910
I switched my iGO back to Nov. 13, 2008, works much better, the volume can be controlled.

on another note, I found updated software and maps for Sygic drive, I haven't been able to get either to work for me yet though...
does anyone know of a good Wince5 emulator I can play with it in?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
yuprules wrote: And what happens if by some fluke the ResidentFlash (why do you think it's called FLASH/) gets erased, what will you use to "get home?" with? $18 sd card = much safer to put your gps software on (such as IGO8).
Yes, you are right in that regard.

On the units I did for others with iGO on residentflash, there's no way for the user to access WindowsCE. It's runs like the stock Curtis, except it runs iGO instead of Sygic (as long a an SD card is installed). It's the same risk as on a stock unit. If "residentflash" dies on a stock unit, it will take Sygic with it too.

I suspect both "residentflash" and "residentflash2" are just logical drives running on the same physical memory. If "residentflash" dies, chances are that "residentflash2" will be dead too and the whole unit will be toasted anyway

SPECIAL NOTE BELOW TO THOSE INSTALLING iGO8 on RESIDENT FLASH

It's slower memory than running from a SD card. iGO may take a lot longer to boot and seem to hang at the "geodb initdbfiles" line. It may take 10-20 seconds to get past this line. iGO will eventually start.

Apparently, this is a known bug. The fix that was posted on some forums is to delete the file called \iGO8\Content\map\basemap.fbl

I haven't fully researched the other implications of deleting this file. My test unit does boot iGO8 very quickly without this file and seem to run faster. I haven't noticed any issues without this file
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Master wrote: What specifically did you erase? Also, would the IGO8 and maps fit after that? How much space did you gain after erasing the stock GPS software? Thanks
I only erased the directory \residentflash\coship navi
According to Windows, it was about 1.7 GB

I did back it up to my PC before deleting it, but it will take about 40 mins to copy via USB. I suggest using explorer on the Curtis to doing a copy/paste to SD as this might be faster.
Oct 25, 2004
482 posts
40 upvotes
lexar123 wrote: You can load the navteq Q2 maps and the Teleatlas POI if you include
[poi]
enable_pois_before_080217=1

In your sys.txt

This way best of both worlds :)
Do you need to copy files in the iGo8 folder? if so is it needed to convert the TeleAtlas poi to another format first?
Nov 26, 2002
624 posts
48 upvotes
l69norm wrote: I only erased the directory \residentflash\coship navi
According to Windows, it was about 1.7 GB

I did back it up to my PC before deleting it, but it will take about 40 mins to copy via USB. I suggest using explorer on the Curtis to doing a copy/paste to SD as this might be faster.
And you just copy IGO8 folder into the residentflash and point the shell.ini to the IGO8.exe file?

Thanks! I might just try it!
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2003
2091 posts
1 upvote
anyone get their iGO to do proper TTS (abbreviations, CT, DR, AVE). I also notice it keeps on refering to roads as "RR5", whats that about?

I did download the modified dictionary files from here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=405616

and put them in the iGo8\tts_loq folder. was it the right thing to do, cuz on that forum it says to put it in iGo8\tts_loq\**language**\, i didnt have that language folder.

thanks
Mar 4, 2003
416 posts
43 upvotes
burnaby
I just download...IGO8 - 8.3.2.64029

Copy IGO8 and 2577 to SD Card (root)
Run 2577/autorun.exe

It says it's "not a valid Win32 application"... what should I do?
May 19, 2004
325 posts
34 upvotes
MARKHAM
yuprules wrote: I put it into sleep, it does not drain that much in sleep.

If you fully charged it (light turns green, it's hard to see, change the angle), it shouldn't drain that much. Try charging it fully again, if you press the power button and put it into sleep and say 8 hours later the battery is dead...something is wrong, exchange it quick before stock runs out.
What is the difference between sleep and power off? If you power off, do you lose your history?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
04BlkVibe wrote: What is the difference between sleep and power off? If you power off, do you lose your history?
When you turning off gps - its like turning off your computer. Everything just shuts down.
When you putting curtis into sleep mode - its like you turning off monitor, speakers, harddrive, some more peripherals, but the main unit still turned on (in energy-saving mode, of course).
May 19, 2004
325 posts
34 upvotes
MARKHAM
Thanks. Then something must be wrong w/ mine...because i can't seem to turn it back on whenever i "turn it off"..and i can only turn it on after i click the reset button..which would be an indication that the battery is still good.I think it's a hardware issue.
Oct 25, 2004
482 posts
40 upvotes
If you want to modify the french tts file to say autoroute instead of A.U.T. and
Route instead of R.T.E., here's how to do it.
(the english TTS I have are not encoded and it is not needed to use lexconv. You can edit those directly.)
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Replace file
\iGO8\tts_loq\French\French6.5.lex
with a modified one in the same place.

Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
masterc wrote: What exactly is the lane assist you are referring to? Where the highway signs pop up at key exits and the arrow shows what your lane you should take?
If so, Isn't that the "Reality View" option, or is it something completely different?
On a freeway (like 401), iGo tells you that you need to be in the left lane/right lane about 10Km out.

As you get closer, a small bar pops up a series of arrows, each arrow representing one lane. If there are 5 lanes, 5 arrows in a row will come up inside the bar.

If you need you need to be in the left 3 lanes, the left 3 arrows will be yellow and the right 2 arrows will be faded. A voice announcement will come up to "keep to the left". It means I need to be in one of the 3 left lanes.

As I get closer, the "reality view" feature kicks in with iGO and the overhead signs appear on the display. The overhead sign for the correct route is highlighted, the other overhead signs are faded. On bottom of each sign are the arrows again representing the correct lanes.

In this case, the overhead signs (with the actual sign text) will appear. The left sign will be highlighted and there will be 3 arrows underneath showing I need to be in those lanes. The right sign will be faded and the two arrows on that sign will be faded as well.

I believe iGO, Garmin and Navigon all have the same type of "lane assist" and "reality view".

BTW, the Navteq map data has to support Lane Assist and Reality View. As far as I know, it only works on the 400 series highways, QEW, etc. It does not work on major city roads.
Nov 24, 2002
11 posts
hi,

I am just wondering how to install map manaully for TomTom?
what file should i be copying and where to put them? SD card? or

TomTom7 was installed on SD card

thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)