• Jul 14th, 2022 2:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
4 upvotes
emoci wrote: Doing your own wire is simple, but time consuming:
-First find the Demarc (the primary place where the line enters your house). If it's a home, it's likely a grey box outside the house or in the basement.
-Every place has at least 4 wires coming in, Green-Red-Black-Yellow, and each pair of wires is one line. Green-Red and Black-Yellow. If it's a newer built place you'll have more wires.
-Identify the pair of wires that's delivering your DSL right now (hopefully you have an active phone line which will make life easier to id whether it is Green-Red or Black-Yellow)
-Disconect the pair that's not delivering a line to your house at the demarc, and cover up the free wire ends with some electrical tape (this ensures that your telco doesn't suddenly fry your VoIP box)
-Now go around the house and make sure all 4 wires are properly wired to the jacks (normally Green-Red is your primary line, and Black-Yellow is the secondary line... if this is how you Id'd them above, the jacks should simply hook up by matching wire colors).
-Buy some of these and plug one into evey jack
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot%3D10-L1,L2-L1+L ... 5008r13582
-Now L2 will be your DSL line, and L1 will be your empty second line. Hook up your ATA device to L1 in a closeby jack, and the tone will be running throughout the house wiring, while DSL is on its own on the other pair

This is all based on the fact that every house is wired for at least two lines (four copper wires). So even though you have one jack, each jack can deliver two lines, you just need a splitter...

Good Reading:http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html
Very interesting. I may just end up doing this! I'll probably wait until the snow goes away though and I'll probably have questions when I attempt it. Unfortunately my second line is not active (i.e no phone or dial tone). I remember when I did have both a phone and a dial tone I needed to use some sort of decoder device for every jack that a telephone was plugged into. Is this normal? I thought that meant I had only one line somehow and that the decoder device was used to filter out the telephone signal from the DSL signal ... but according to what you say there is always 2 lines.

Have you heard of this before and will it be a problem or is it just the normal setup?
Aug 17, 2008
9 posts
tomorrowland
OK i have been enjoying Grand Central paired with Gizmo (line1) and Voxalot (line 2) on my unlocked PAP2 (thanks emoci)

are there Skype access numbers that i can call with Grand Central to access overseas calling with skype out

does anyone know more about skype access #s

thank you

is it just me or does gizmo block IVR responses through grand central
Feb 26, 2009
1 posts
Hello - I am new to the forum; it's amazing how knowledgeable people in this topic are.

I need multiple DID numbers with different area codes. I need them for incoming calls. I don't expect to do a lot of talking so per minute charge is not that important (as long as it's reasonable).

What would you recommend as the most cost-effective solution?

I found a number of companies that offer 2$/per month per DID number. Can I do better than that?

My main line is Rogers home phone voip service. What additional software/hardware will I need to have my DID numbers forward to my cell phone or my landline?

Thanks for your help.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
thegreatfixer wrote: OK i have been enjoying Grand Central paired with Gizmo (line1) and Voxalot (line 2) on my unlocked PAP2 (thanks emoci)

are there Skype access numbers that i can call with Grand Central to access overseas calling with skype out

does anyone know more about skype access #s

thank you

is it just me or does gizmo block IVR responses through grand central

If you have the SkypePro subscription login to your acct. you should be able to activate your Skype-To-Go number.... It is a US number so you can call it from GC...

I too have had some issues with Gizmo and the DTMF required by GC. I have lately switched to using an IPKall number pointed to a VoXalot acct. instead of Gizmo
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
joeojos wrote: Hello - I am new to the forum; it's amazing how knowledgeable people in this topic are.

I need multiple DID numbers with different area codes. I need them for incoming calls. I don't expect to do a lot of talking so per minute charge is not that important (as long as it's reasonable).

What would you recommend as the most cost-effective solution?

I found a number of companies that offer 2$/per month per DID number. Can I do better than that?

My main line is Rogers home phone voip service. What additional software/hardware will I need to have my DID numbers forward to my cell phone or my landline?

Thanks for your help.
$2/month is a reasonabley good price... What are you trying to accomplish with these DID numbers... it maybe easier to just setup CallForwarding and use the SIPBroker access numbers.

Normally you'd just need a Premium VoXalot acct., or a MySipSwitch acct. or a PBXes.com acct to handle the forwarding. You'll also need a VoIP provider to do the forwarding part (probably a per minute provider like Future-Nine, CallWithUs or LocalPhone)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
VoIP Networks/Other

FWD: Free World Dialup (FWD | Home)
***FWD is now subscription based***
-Free Calling between Members on their Network
-Can be used with their SoftPhone/Other SoftPhones/ VoIP adapter
-IM other FWD members, SIP-Users, AIM/MSN/Yahoo/GTalk/Skype/ICQ (FWD | Help)
-Call other Voip Users on other networks
-Receive Calls from PSTN using access numbers (only 2 numbers really)
-VoiceMail
-They plan to be offering paid FWDout/FWDin service soon
-From personal testing the FWD Communicator, and adding IM contacts from other networks is glitchy.

Gizmo Project/ SipPhone ([url=http://www.gizmoproject.com]Gizmo
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
For anyone that's gone through the entire posting...you'll notice some extra info including some faxing options
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
do any of these allow me to receive text messages to an anonymous number?
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
loonie wrote: do any of these allow me to receive text messages to an anonymous number?
Unfortunately ...as far as I know so far....not yet possible...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
emoci wrote: ........

Wow, I just wanted to thank you for all your help and sharing all your VOIP expertise with us. You have been doing it for a long time and I'm sure the rest of the RFD community is just as grateful! :)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
sjweyman wrote: Very interesting. I may just end up doing this! I'll probably wait until the snow goes away though and I'll probably have questions when I attempt it. Unfortunately my second line is not active (i.e no phone or dial tone). I remember when I did have both a phone and a dial tone I needed to use some sort of decoder device for every jack that a telephone was plugged into. Is this normal? I thought that meant I had only one line somehow and that the decoder device was used to filter out the telephone signal from the DSL signal ... but according to what you say there is always 2 lines.

Have you heard of this before and will it be a problem or is it just the normal setup?

The fact you were using a "filter" is not an issue. DSL and an active phoneline can be delivered over a single line (2 copper wires). In fact the telco prefers to do it this way since by having an active phone line they don't have to worry about powering the copper.

The filter is simply there to prevent noise from voice conversations from interfering with the modem sync.

This does not change the fact that there is a second line available. It was emply back when you had DSL+Phone and it is empty now.

The only hurdle is identifying which line (two wires) are delivering the DSL... (if there was a phone line you could listen for a tone).

In this case you'll have to disconnect Blue-Green, if your internet goes out that's the line that should remain connected to the telco wires at the demarc.

Otherwise try Yellow-Black and see what happens.

So instead of listening for a tone, to identify the line, you'll check which one kills your internet when disoconnected... :razz:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
pacman99 wrote: Where can I get the SIP details for $56.50? Is there some link I can follow to do that? I was looking at the FAQ and it says it would cost $99. If I can grab the SIP details for the price you've mentioned I'll probably end up putting in the order now.

Here's what the FAQ says:

Also, how does this advertising work on my own SIP client?
Call one of the numbers here http://freephoneline.ca/orderService .
They'll take a while to process your CC and send you the SIP Details...
There is no advertising when using your own SIP Client (the reason you pay the $56.59)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Dec 31, 1969
Acanac customers who already have DSL can include VOIP
for $9.95 month with free softphone software http://www.callnigeriaonline.com/images/xlite1.JPG for use with a headset
or buy a VOIP ATA http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDet...x?eId=11894311
for use with a regular phone. If you have no phone service, I assume
you are on dryloop instead of a phone line and you are paying for DSL
plus dry loop at $8 month already. You can add VOIP with that and
be assigned a new number for calls, but not transfer over any old number.
Both soft phone or ATA have identical features http://acanac.ca/Features.htm .
Service is only for Ontario and Quebec.
Here is the link for international rates http://acanac.ca/Phone_rates.htm .

Useful information to know when deciding to use softphone or voip ata:
a) softphone -- computer has to be on to use softphone and the face of the phone will light up and
rings will be heard with speakers with incoming calls; if computer is off, calls go to voicemail
b) ata -- use with regular phone which rings even with computer off; has voicemail.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
loudsubz wrote: Im new to voip scene and want to get my feet wet.

Right now I don't have any phone service at all, and was wondering if any of these services would apply to me, or if I have to sign up with something different?

I am going to buy a linksys PAP2 adapter, so from there I just need a service that will provide me with a GTA area code phone number, and allow others to call me with that number.

I am using acanac DSl right now.

afre most of these services only useful if I already have a phone line and simply want to forward LD calls to save money?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
does anyone know of Acanac 1-year trial VoIP will be coming up again?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Dec 31, 1969
Have you tried Skype which can work with some mobile phones
but with iPhone you can get a special access number to call phones
at special rates, or use a voip phone with your Acanac voip.
Read http://support.skype.com/en_US/faq/FA15 ... -my-iPhone

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
Hybrid88 wrote: Emoci

Any way to get my iphone 3g to connect to my Acanac voip service? Tried a few things without success.
Dec 27, 2005
739 posts
195 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
What are the opinions for using voip.ms that rents Canadian DIDs at $2/month with outbound Canadian rates as low as $0.0049 and U.S for $0.0105 on paygo? Inbound paygo is $0.0105 NA wide.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: What are the opinions for using voip.ms that rents Canadian DIDs at $2/month with outbound Canadian rates as low as $0.0049 and U.S for $0.0105 on paygo? Inbound paygo is $0.0105 NA wide.

Voip.ms has good reviews and some great features...

That said the $2/month DIDs do not include unlimited incoming calls. You are charged at 1.49 cents/min for incoming calls and the rates as you mentioned above for outgoing...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Dec 27, 2005
739 posts
195 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
My apologies it this has been asked previously but I've attempted to read all the threads and I'm going dizzy.

All I want to know if there's a company out there that provides LOCAL (GTA) DID numbers that would allow me to forward to any sip provider or telephone number that I desire? I'm not expecting this to be free (although free is good).
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: My apologies it this has been asked previously but I've attempted to read all the threads and I'm going dizzy.

All I want to know if there's a company out there that provides LOCAL (GTA) DID numbers that would allow me to forward to any sip provider or telephone number that I desire? I'm not expecting this to be free (although free is good).
Voip.ms

Pros
-Can forward to SIP URI
-Can forward to regular phone numbers

Cons
-You pay for incoming calls (or you pay around $9/month to have incoming calls included)

VBuzzer

Pros
-Can forward to regular numbers (can do both call forward and call forking)
-Numbers are cheap
-Unlimited Incoming

Cons
-Does not support SIP Forwarding through their own website (but it can be done by using PBXes -free version- in the middle)
-You have to buy the numbers for a full year at $25/year

CallCentric

Pros
-Has numbers with unlimited incoming calls (price per month is higher than VBuzzer but lower than Voip.ms at around $6 )
-Has support for forwarding to SIP URI
-Has support for forwarding to regular phone numbers

Cons
-There really isn't any short of being a bit more expensive than VBuzzer ...

CallWithUs

Offer exactly the same features as CallCentric for similar pricing ... CallCentric is a bit more refined, but CallWithUs has some neat features for the Do-It-Yourself Group if you expect to use it formore than just Call Forwarding.

FreePhoneLine

For Free:
-Pick a number in ON/QC and can have calls forward to any other Canadian Number

Pay a one time $56.50 (they have a Free Number for one-time fee clause)
-Once you pay this you can use a middleman like PBXes to forward to SIP URI

From a customer support perspective:

-Voip.ms and CallCentric are top
-CallWithUs is next
-Vbuzzer and FreePhoneLine further down

In regards to ability to port numbers in and out:

-Voip.ms and CallCentric have support and a procedure in place to deal with it
-CallWithUs has support but you'll have to get in touch with via email
-FreePhoneLine has at least support for porting in (you'll need to call them....and they take long to do things)
-VBuzzer has no support for porting
Heat|e-Bay|RFD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)