Air Conditioning - Installed - Great Prices

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 9:25 am
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
General example atleast when I purchased my AC 4 yrs ago.

House size:

upto 1500sq/ft recommended 1.5tons

upto 2000sq/ft recommended 2.0tons

upto 2500sq/ft recommended 2.5tons

upto 3000sq/ft recommended 3.0tons

My house was under 1500sq/ft but ended up getting the 2.0tons due to no insulation, the house was built in the 60's and with c.blocks and bricks and facing directly EAST-WEST.

Hope this helps.
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
Rather than spending time researching manufacturers brands, due diligence on the installing contractor is the prudent step. A good contractor can install any brand and give you your money's worth. A dubious character can find a way to mess up anything.

My professional bias is in favour of the local, independent contracting business. If you aren't completely satisfied with the installation you can walk into the contractor's place of business and ask to speak to the owner. Try that with the corporate entities or the fly-by-night gang.

Treat this purchase like a home renovation...because it is. Interview three to four contractors, ask questions, get a detailed written quote, and be comfortable with your selection. If you treat it like a consumer commodity item and go with the low bidder you are bringing unnecessary risk into your home.
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
leafs wrote: Ockham what brand A/C do you recommend? Also I am looking at getting a ERV/HRV which one should I go for I am leaning toward the ERV so I can use it year round. What brand and model ERV do you recommend?
House is new construction 2200 SQ ft. Also do you know any reputable installers in Barrie?
I recommend ERVs, but perhaps the climate in Barrie dictates HRVs. Yanch, Climate Air, and KLM would be the three phone calls I'd make.
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill
As promised here is a picture of the unit and install...

You guys have to see my other neighbours, horrible installs. The wires are coming halfway down the exterior wall and it looks unsightly.

Many people asked, what unit and how much installed - links below.
Installed By: www.CozyWorld.ca
Unit: GSC130301 - 2.5 TON - http://www.cozyworld.ca/goodman-air-con ... gsc13.html
Price: On website
Noise Level: Not as loud, as I thought. Alot less noise than the smaller units my neighbours have.

[IMG]http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/5 ... f1388c.jpg[/IMG]

AC-man wrote: Magic,

Those two posters, jerryhuang and bririp trying to convince everybody that they offer a bargin, and it is definitely not. Their unit http://www.yorkupg.com/NewInfo.asp?id=2757&t=r&PID=1 is the very basic 13 SEER builder model. Funny, for coil protection that unit uses wires and "a polymer mesh". No wonder that the unit has only 5 years warranty. After all how long can "a polymer mesh" last. And that is for $2300!

C

When I drive through all the newly build subdivisions, it is always the same picture. Namebrands that just abuse people's trust. York is no exception. Other brands are doing the same.

I checked the air conditioner that you have installed (post #1). That Goodman is hundreds $s cheaper and has 10 years compressor and parts warranty. No wonder, it uses steel coverage for coil protection, not "a polymer mesh". By the way, same $2300 would by you there a nice 14 SEER model with a scroll compressor and life time warranty for compressor.

Any chance to post pictures of the unit?

acman
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
ACMan,

the post above (#125 in this thread)... what do you mean...
"I checked the air conditioner that you have installed (post #1). That Goodman is hundreds $s cheaper and has 10 years compressor and parts warranty. No wonder, it uses steel coverage for coil protection, not "a polymer mesh". By the way, same $2300 would by you there a nice 14 SEER model with a scroll compressor and life time warranty for compressor. "

I need a 3ton unit. What do you suggest brand for price, etc? Please give me the name and model #. I'm getting a lot of quotes from various people, and they just keep giving me the name and seer, not the model # so I know what I'm comparing. I need full install - not replacement, since it's a new house without any a/c right now.
-----

DMPP
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
magicray wrote: You guys have to see my other neighbours, horrible installs. The wires are coming halfway down the exterior wall and looks unsightly.
who did your install? what size unit is that? is it loud? how much was it? is it r410a?
-----

DMPP
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dmpP2 wrote: who did your install? what size unit is that? is it loud? how much was it? is it r410a?

I got www.CozyWorld.ca to install the unit - it was a Goodman 13SEER 2.5Ton. Its not loud as I thought it would be, compared to the smaller units that the neighbours have. I dont think this was a R410 unit it was an option but it was a few bucks more and i didnt want to pay for that.
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
magicray wrote: I got www.CozyWorld.ca to install the unit - it was a Goodman 13SEER 2.5Ton. Its not loud as I thought it would be, compared to the smaller units that the neighbours have. I dont think this was a R410 unit it was an option but it was a few bucks more and i didnt want to pay for that.
do you recall how much it was?
-----

DMPP
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking at the following 3...
(prices incl taxes and full installation)

All have 10yr compressor, 10 year parts, and 1 year labour warranties. All are R-410A puron.

Goodman - 13seer - 3ton - GSX130361 - cover & noise blanket incl - $2376
Gibson - 14seer - 3ton - DS4BD-036K - cover & noise blanket incl - $2600
York - 13seer - 3ton - HZD-036 - cover incl - $2835

Which would you recommend, and why?
-----

DMPP
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
Stay away from the Gibson - Builder Grade Crap.

Get the Goodman dealer to include 10 year labour warranty. The distributor offers it for a hundred bucks.

That puts the York unit a few hundred more in a straight apples to apples comparison. Take the Goodman as it even includes a metal condenser jacket.

Having said all that...my list price for a Goodman GSX13036 is one thousand dollars higher than what you've quoted. Us contractors all pay about the same for equipment and materials. Given that, I'm assuming your contractor isn't an established business so you are rolling the dice on this home renovation. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2335 posts
574 upvotes
I just wanted to offer some consumer feedback about Coleman AC units. I had one (the low profile flatish kind) installed back in 1998, and it's been running great for 10 years. I've never had any maintenance done to it, and it works flawlessly every season. I had it done by Arpi's here in Calgary for about $2200 if I remember right.

I believe it's a 1.5 ton unit, and it was chosen after they checked out the type of furnace I had and info about the size of the house. Arpi's told me that it was one of the quieter units since that was a major concern that I didn't want to disturb the neighbours.

Is there any maintenance required with home AC units? I usually just take a hose to it to clean off the dirt, and I cover it up with a tied tarp in the off season. It still runs quiet and just like brand new so I don't know if it really needs anything. They did try to sell me on a maintenance contract when I first got it, but I never signed up with that.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Apart from Adam Yeung that someone referred him, is there are someone else that install small AC unit into an appt room in Tor/ Mississauga Area??
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
May 28, 2007
719 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
Basement counted?
badass wrote: General example atleast when I purchased my AC 4 yrs ago.

House size:

upto 1500sq/ft recommended 1.5tons

upto 2000sq/ft recommended 2.0tons

upto 2500sq/ft recommended 2.5tons

upto 3000sq/ft recommended 3.0tons

My house was under 1500sq/ft but ended up getting the 2.0tons due to no insulation, the house was built in the 60's and with c.blocks and bricks and facing directly EAST-WEST.

Hope this helps.
Nov 25, 2005
252 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I had a 2 ton Lennox AC unit installed on Saturday for $1800 tax in...
Everything seems to be fine...pretty quiet as well...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
1660 posts
1945 upvotes
JDMITR21 wrote: I had a 2 ton Lennox AC unit installed on Saturday for $1800 tax in...
Everything seems to be fine...pretty quiet as well...
Could you provide details?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)