Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Free sample --- Salba

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2008 1:35 pm
Tags:
None
May 23, 2005
344 posts
1 upvote
Received mine.
3 tubes.
Spread it over my bagel with honey, this morning for breakfast. No added taste.
Feb 10, 2008
338 posts
1 upvote
Got mine yesterday - stirred it into my morning yogurt this morning and it was great. STILL feeling full, not hungry. I like this a lot!
If you are too openminded, your brains will fall out.
Aug 31, 2006
998 posts
168 upvotes
Sample requested, thanks OP! I've been having energy issues all winter (guessing lack of Vitamine D is part of the problem) but I hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
I received my Salba samples a while back, and have to say I did not feel more full than usual, did not notice more energy than usual, and did notice having an exceptionally "comfortable dump" :D on Day-3 of the Salba trial, as it "cleansed my colon" as promised in the literature that came with the free sample. I'd poured 1 sachet on yogurt, 1 on coleslaw, and 1 on peanut-buttered bread - it was good on everything I tried - it added a nice texture & crunch to the foods and as a bonus, a few hours later I'd find a seed suddenly floating around my mouth, which was kinda fun in a weird way. But it doesn't really have any taste and like I said over the 3 days the sample lasted I did not notice any immediate health benefits.

I was thinking of purchasing a bag of Salba but when I went to Bulk Barn a few weeks back I saw that its regular price is ridiculous - if I remember correctly it was something like $23.95 for the 360g bag (unground organic).

FYI though: Bulk Barn has 20% of Salba products this week, and at least in my local flyer, there was a $3 off $10 coupon. I decided to take the plunge and buy a bag today, though unless it really amazes me I can't see myself ever buying more at regular price.

I was wondering though if there was a cheaper alternative to Salba and came across this page that has a lengthy discussion on Salba & chia-seeds: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08 ... chia-seed/

There's a couple of links inside that discussion to web-stores who ship generic 'premium' chia to Canada. Let's see... ~$90 (or ~$70 including this week's BB savings) for 3lb of patented Salba from my local BB, or $39(and that's including $9 shipping) for 3lb of generic but almost certainly nutritionally-similar chia..... if you plan on buying lots of it, seems like a no-brainer to go generic.

I wonder though .. other than those who work for the Salba company, are there any chia-regulars who have actually converted TO Salba?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2594 posts
99 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote: I received my Salba samples a while back, and have to say I did not feel more full than usual, did not notice more energy than usual, and did notice having an exceptionally "comfortable dump" :D on Day-3 of the Salba trial, as it "cleansed my colon" as promised in the literature that came with the free sample. I'd poured 1 sachet on yogurt, 1 on coleslaw, and 1 on peanut-buttered bread - it was good on everything I tried - it added a nice texture & crunch to the foods and as a bonus, a few hours later I'd find a seed suddenly floating around my mouth, which was kinda fun in a weird way. But it doesn't really have any taste and like I said over the 3 days the sample lasted I did not notice any immediate health benefits.

I was thinking of purchasing a bag of Salba but when I went to Bulk Barn a few weeks back I saw that its regular price is ridiculous - if I remember correctly it was something like $23.95 for the 360g bag (unground organic).

FYI though: Bulk Barn has 20% of Salba products this week, and at least in my local flyer, there was a $3 off $10 coupon. I decided to take the plunge and buy a bag today, though unless it really amazes me I can't see myself ever buying more at regular price.

I was wondering though if there was a cheaper alternative to Salba and came across this page that has a lengthy discussion on Salba & chia-seeds: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08 ... chia-seed/

There's a couple of links inside that discussion to web-stores who ship generic 'premium' chia to Canada. Let's see... ~$90 (or ~$70 including this week's BB savings) for 3lb of patented Salba from my local BB, or $39(and that's including $9 shipping) for 3lb of generic but almost certainly nutritionally-similar chia..... if you plan on buying lots of it, seems like a no-brainer to go generic.

I wonder though .. other than those who work for the Salba company, are there any chia-regulars who have actually converted TO Salba?
Looking forward to a response to those questions as well.. :)
Dec 31, 1969
RenegadeX wrote: I received my Salba samples a while back, and have to say I did not feel more full than usual, did not notice more energy than usual, and did notice having an exceptionally "comfortable dump" :D on Day-3 of the Salba trial, as it "cleansed my colon" as promised in the literature that came with the free sample. I'd poured 1 sachet on yogurt, 1 on coleslaw, and 1 on peanut-buttered bread - it was good on everything I tried - it added a nice texture & crunch to the foods and as a bonus, a few hours later I'd find a seed suddenly floating around my mouth, which was kinda fun in a weird way. But it doesn't really have any taste and like I said over the 3 days the sample lasted I did not notice any immediate health benefits.

If you are comfortable eating chia seeds from a relatively unknown source that is great. I prefer Salba because:

1.) It is Certified Organic.
2.) It is Certified Non-GMO.
3.) Salba is a Canadian company that I trust. (and yes, I realize it is grown in Peru)
4.) $25 for a supply that lasts me a month is pocket change...

One thing you may want to consider with the '3-pound' supply is the shelf life of chia...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
selpats wrote: If you are comfortable eating chia seeds from a relatively unknown source that is great. I prefer Salba because:

1.) It is Certified Organic.
2.) It is Certified Non-GMO.
3.) Salba is a Canadian company that I trust. (and yes, I realize it is grown in Peru)
4.) $25 for a supply that lasts me a month is pocket change...

One thing you may want to consider with the '3-pound' supply is the shelf life of chia...
Thanks, that's helpful -- that's the sort of supporting arguments I was curious about.

The last part however is not a valid argument - chia seed has a long shelf-life, so buying bulk quantities is not an issue. From various sources :
- Chia does not go rancid as other seeds and can be safely stored at room temperature in a dry place for about two years.
- There is no need to keep the seed in the fridge, whether kept in sealed bags or not. Natural antioxidants in the seed provides this stability.
I'd missed it when I originally visited Salba's site, but they have an informative video section where they interview the S.American guy who worked for years to turn chia seed into the consistent, white, and 'full'(nutrional value) Salba
Dec 31, 1969
[quote="RenegadeX" post_id="6765395" time="1209442022" user_id="2774"]Thanks, that's helpful -- that's the sort of supporting arguments I was curious about.

The last part however is not a valid argument - chia seed has a long shelf-life, so buying bulk quantities is not an issue. From various sources :

I'd missed it when I originally visited Salba's site, but they have an informative video section where they interview the Peruvian guy who worked for years to turn chia seed into the consistent, white, and 'full'(nutrional value) Salba
Oct 27, 2006
451 posts
143 upvotes
For those of you that don't care about brand names, after searching high and low, I have found two reputable sites which sell the cheapest pesticide and chemical free organic Chia Seeds I have come across. They both ofcourse ship to Canada. Below are the links if anyone is interested:

https://www.naturalremi-teas.com/
Comes to $10 a pound including shipping when buying 3 pounds

http://www.hidalgofoods.com/
Comes to $10.95/pound including shipping when buying 3 pounds

If anyone finds any other sources for cheap chia seeds, please do share!
Oct 25, 2007
551 posts
146 upvotes
The healthfood shop opposite sporting life at yonge and lawrence in Toronto has an offer - buy a bag of salba and get a box of salba bars for free. Also I just went to the loblaws at yonge and yonge and they also stock all the salba products now (same price as the health food store).
Dec 31, 1969
I was in Lillooet, BC last weekend visiting some family and went into my aunt's store, KC Health & Gifts. I didn't even think that she would carry Salba there but she had it and it was $19.99 a bag! I thought it was pretty funny considering it is just a tiny town yet in the Vancouver area it is $24.99 a bag.

Needless to say, I bought two bags...

So if you ever find yourself driving through Lillooet, BC you know where to go! :lol:
May 23, 2005
344 posts
1 upvote
For some unknown reason, have received my 2nd 3 pack freebee last friday. Not sure how, but very much appreciate it.
Love it in my vanilla yogurt and on my salads.
Oct 25, 2007
551 posts
146 upvotes
me too, I got a second packet last week also.
Nov 30, 2007
646 posts
37 upvotes
After a long overdue wait, I finally received my Salba samples the other day. I don't expect much out of these rather than another company trying to sell psychological benefits in exchange for my money. Nonetheless, I look forward to a good crapping in three days. : )

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)