• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2015 3:48 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
reptar wrote: why isn't this posted on the front door of every future shop?
why does it seem like they don't want customers to know about THEIR options?
He works for them, or someone else in his family does. He knows too much about the details and is defending them for really no reason. Nobody spends this much time doing that unless they're personally invested in some way. I'm thinking he's a webmaster or something, from the way he's praising their network people. Laptop-tech is doing the same thing...throwing in his 2 cents and being an amazing example of FS employees' commitment to their customers. Click on their usernames, then view public profile, and add user to your ignore list is there.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Dec 11, 2006
116 posts
17 upvotes
The Ellen Roseman Star article is now #1 most read and the #4 most emailed on thestar.com website, much to the chagrin of the shills and fanbois out there.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
Happy13178 wrote: He works for them, or someone else in his family does. He knows too much about the details and is defending them for really no reason. Nobody spends this much time doing that unless they're personally invested in some way. I'm thinking he's a webmaster or something, from the way he's praising their network people. Laptop-tech is doing the same thing...throwing in his 2 cents and being an amazing example of FS employees' commitment to their customers. Click on their usernames, then view public profile, and add use to your ignore list is there.
Yeah the way he talks is most telling, or he is a vendor that really likes fs for one reason or another. Either way from the way he speaks and the words he uses (most of the time) is very professional and usually sidesteps most of the compaints and directs his/her attention to smaller parts of the complaint that can be defended.
Even for the seasoned futureshop customer I can't think of too many people that would say place the message on the bulletin board at the front of the store instead of the front doors. I took a moment to realize they do have a cork board there. Most people would just say tape that sucker to the door. I especially like how he/she says oh that went wrong maybe the other party being suppliers/reporters/3rd party processors/etc are likely to blame instead of fs and doesn't consider that possibly or brushes it off immediately. I've ooked at his posts as far back at sept before I got bored and needed to get back to work. He has only replied to fs posts and some home reno posts. A building contractor who furnishes with dvd covers etc?
Dec 11, 2006
116 posts
17 upvotes
If they have a flyer error, where do they post those? They could do the same with this bait-and-switch scam.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8137 posts
770 upvotes
Keep the thread open.

Lets focus our attention on what we're going to do about this in terms of media attention.

Neil wants no part in that so I think it's safe to just put him on ignore.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2002
1606 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton. Äl-Berta
laptop-tech wrote: I'm still trying to believe that this is not a shoplifter's hangout, but day after day it becomes more evident what kind of mentality is the new "norm" here. Sad but true. In no time, RFD will be known as scumbag community more than deal search website. Its a matter of time.
shoplifting is a crime

are you accusing me of committing a crime :/ :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sad and despair now :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
I forwarded this to consumerist.com, major consumer oriented blog in the US. This sort of story is their bread and butter.
Mar 5, 2007
627 posts
laptop-tech wrote: I'm still trying to believe that this is not a shoplifter's hangout, but day after day it becomes more evident what kind of mentality is the new "norm" here. Sad but true. In no time, RFD will be known as scumbag community more than deal search website. Its a matter of time.

Laptop-Tech aka PSP/Monster Cable lover:

I think we can all use a good laugh right about now... So... If you don't mind. With regards to FS forcing consumers to buy $90 recovery disks, could you please explain to us, in your own words, why Futureshop did nothing wrong this time? :)

God I hope he replies...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8137 posts
770 upvotes
Happy13178 wrote: I forwarded this to consumerist.com, major consumer oriented blog in the US. This sort of story is their bread and butter.
When you forward information and use your media contacts it might prove interesting to also note that Futureshop employees are coming here and now participating in slander in order to prevent us speaking publically:

laptop-tech wrote: Hi Futureshop.

I am a FS employee and a long time member here on RFD. Something that you will probably notice (if not already) is that RFD is community forum infested with people that love to complain about any and everything they can possibly find, wether or not the complain is legit.

The overall wrath against companies like FS, BB and other is just part of the commom mentality found here. Theres nothing that FS can do to please these members. If the company gave 5000.00 cash to each person whining here, they'd simply start threads the next day complaining that the 5000.00 was not enough.

Profanity, foul language, personal insults, suggestion of scams and other fraudulent practices are posted here on a regular basis and often applauded by other members.

While I'm glad to see someone responding to the terrible incident with the laptops on boxing day, I know that your efforts are meaningless as the whiners will continue with what they do best.

See you around.
Futureshop is digging such a hole now it's hilarious.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
masterhapposai wrote: When you forward information and use your media contacts it might prove interesting to also note that Futureshop employees are coming here and now participating in slander in order to prevent us speaking publically:

Futureshop is digging such a hole now it's hilarious.
Amazing how that works, isn't it. I was talking to the city editor for the Toronto Sun earlier and told him about this...he says if they're not already doing a piece on it, they will be. At this point I think FS employees should be banned from the site outright. They're slowly but surely putting themselves on the same level as MDG.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
So what are the main complaints that people had?
  • All systems being sold with a 'mandatory' $99 recovery disc (which in itself is a scam.

• Breaking the EULA and the seal for these new laptops and computers.

• Some store sold HD DVD players as attachements to larger items and would not allow people buying it by itself have it. (I saw that in a thread, I'll try to link it later)

• Someone reported that they were told they couldn't have the $19.99 printer that came with a computer unless a PSP and/or expensive USB was purchased. Link

• Not sure if it is illeagal in the strictest sense of the term (which still raises a big red flag if you have to question the legality of the tactic in the first place) given that it was advertised as a door crasher but some locations have as few as 2 of the hd dvd players.

Anything I am missing from the list?

• On their website for the boxing day sale it crashed with many people losing their place in quene. Purchases were not made from the site until over 2 hours later. As the site did come back on some people still had their place in quene reset after reaching the front of the line, a few people experienced this more than once while other people had other technical difficulties such as other people items were in there carts.

• For the people who were able to purchase items successfully online some were shown one price but ended up getting billed a different shipping price than what was quoted. Link

• Future shop reacted later with a Director who is an Administrator for their online forum to try and play down some of the going ons that people were offended by. Although not offensive in the act his lack of transparency was disturbing i.e. he was asked directly if he was a Moderator for the forum he said no. He later admitted to being an Administrator for the forum. For those not sure about the differences, an Admin is a mod with the additional ability to change the layout or order of the forums as well as having access to some other technical and cosmetic aspects of the forum. 99% of Forum admins if asked if they were a mod they would just say yes b/c the difference is Semantics.

• More attempted backpeddling by FS
    adanac wrote: [url="http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ostcount=1]
    UPDATE - Dec 28, 2007, 6:00PM[/url]
    Inside the store, the store GM (?), Dept Sales Manager, Joe Strigl, and another Manager was there to meet me. They all apologized and explained that they took this issue very seriously. This Recovery CD incident had reached the company CEO. They stated that they cared about their image and there was no direction from upper management to pre-install this recovery CD on the laptops.
    Another poster said later that there store received projected units that would be sold with the recovery disc
    mmmken wrote: Hey,
    so we only had the bare minimal (projected) units pre-setup.
    It doesn't take much of a leap in logic to conclude that they were given the projected sales in order for the stores to prepare units ahead of time with a recovery disc which in completely opposite of what some of the managment told the OP for this thread.

Additionally a Director from FS acknowledged that stores were to prepare some systems ahead of time for Boxing day.
    http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost6175609
Dec 11, 2006
116 posts
17 upvotes
cyder wrote: So what are the main complaints that people had?

All systems being sold with a 'mandatory' $99 recovery disc (which in itself is a scam.

Breaking the EULA and the seal for these new laptops and computers.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that Robert made mention that only some of the systems were suppose to have the disc attached) given this did them still have enough stock to meet the min store stock they advertised for the price they advertised?

Some store sold HD DVD players as attachements to larger items and would not allow people buying it by itself have it. (I saw that in a thread, I'll try to link it later)

Someone reported (I'll link it later unless someone can locate it) that they were told they couldn't have the $19.99 printer that came with a computer unless a PSP and/or expensive USB was purchased.

Not sure if it is illeagal in the strictest sense of the term given that it was advertised as a door crasher but some locations have as few as 2 of the hd dvd players.

Anything I am missing from the list?

Yes, you forgot the crap with the website crash (after many previous chances to get it right for years) and relegating the people who were first in line to empty shopping carts and no checkout....
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18129 posts
1728 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Is it just me or did a self-confessed Future Shop employee call RFD a "shoplifter community"?

That really doesn't help Neil's cause much.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
28 upvotes
reptar wrote: b) stores that do post these memos are posted in hidden areas where the common customer would never see.
Update from Newmarket FS store...

- I did see the letter being posted on the back of the monitor at computer service counter. But I didn't notice any memo at the refund/exchange area.

- I did overheard a FS staff just sold the $99 setup offering to a customer.
/* My Heatware */ #define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)) ...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word Hacking RAID in XP Support Net Neutrality Canada
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
I think FS should at least do:

- Front page ad on National Post / Globe and Mail (or whatever national paper)
- On the next 2 flyers
- At the front of the store / website
- And to everyone who sign up the FS newslettter
a
Dec 11, 2006
116 posts
17 upvotes
Oh, and sending a shill named Robert who plays semantic games when denying he was a "moderator" when in actual fact is an administrator!
Sep 30, 2001
30147 posts
10132 upvotes
Toronto
Neil wrote: To catch you up, Future Shop has widely and publicly announced that anyone who wants to get refunded for this will be gladly refunded.
have to disagree there. the letter on the website is a good step, but why is it buried and not on the front page?

if someone has already completed their boxing day shopping it's unlikely they would immediately be going back to FS.ca (more so if they felt forced into spending $100 extra). FS should be taking an ad in the daily papers to reach those who are not savvy enough to hang out in online forums.

realistically though i'm guessing we're at the end of the line on this matter.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
cyder wrote: Some store sold HD DVD players as attachements to larger items and would not allow people buying it by itself have it. (I saw that in a thread, I'll try to link it later)
I also can not remember where this was mentioned but I think the scenario was that the customer in question was in line for the HD DVD player but only buying the HD DVD player, while other people further behind this customer were inline for a tv and the player. The ones in line for the tv and player were allowed to purchase the package deal early, effectively jumping the queue.

I know a similar thing like this happen at the Future Shop I was at(Niagara Falls), but not nearly as bad. Thankfully my FS gave out tickets for all the door crashers, but anybody who wanted to buy a camera was let in ahead of time and most of them also purchased the 2x2gb sd cards. This angered a lot of people at the front of the line because they had no idea how many sd cards FS had. FS had more then enough to satisfy those of us in line. I'm not complaining about this, I was just bringing it up. I think my FS did a decent job, other then selling my D3 that I had already paid for to somebody else. Luckily I was given a A3 at the same price on the same day without hassle. Seeing as the FS version of the D3 didn't come with a HDMI cable for some odd reason I guess I wont have to complain that my A3 also did not come with a HDMI cable.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: I also can not remember where this was mentioned but I think the scenario was that the customer in question was in line for the HD DVD player but only buying the HD DVD player, while other people further behind this customer were inline for a tv and the player. The ones in line for the tv and player were allowed to purchase the package deal early, effectively jumping the queue.
yeah I don't remember any keywords that wouldn't be in a lot of other posts or threads to really track that one down or who posted it. I don't think I'll be able to find that post at all. The printer one was easy at least since there weren't too much talk about printers.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
lebanesekid wrote: Lets have a new RFD Contest:

Funniest thread ever:
Unethical Futureshop (DVD racks comment caused me to choke on my carrot)

Most annoying RFD member ever:
NEIL!!!!! (and that laptop tech guy, but Neil especially)

RFD's worst rated store:
Future Shop

Most influential thread of 2007:
Unethical Futureshop

Most entertaining thread of 2007:
Unethical Futureshop

Anyone have any nominees, or are these our winners?

you lazy jerk!!! If you're going to nominate post at least add links so we can all laugh again and not have to go digging through post!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)