• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2062 upvotes
spinbot wrote: My vodka and I have decided that your DVD Burner is f$cked. If 98% of us are happy with the product, then I'd say its fine. It just doesn't like you personally or your DVD burner -- i'm leaning towards your burner.
Your conclusion is logical. However, as I said, I have never had problems with the non-Verbatim media I have been using (not just TY media). The fact that I have never had a problem, by itself, doesn't mean that I couldn't start having one now if it is the burner but on the other hand, what is the chance of having a new problem with a burner that coincides exactly with starting to try to burn with a different type of media? Now add on to that that I have just burned 10 flawless TY disks today with no issues and have also since burned a few test runs on what is generally considered so-so Acro +RW media as well and have not had any issues with it.

Again, the fact that so many people have had no problems with Verbatim media is a sign that the unbalancing factor in this equation is me, my configuration or my burner. Despite this, I am going to throw a wrench into the works. There is one factor that has not been mentioned: My absolute sh1te luck!!!!! Now, illogical as that seems and despite the fact that there is no sensible correlation between "my luck" and Verbatim media, the fact is that I keep ending up with spindles of Verbatim media that are of questionable quality. To put "my luck" into context, I'll give you an example. Ever play Civilization (the board game)? Remember those cards that had "Calamities" associated with them? Yeah.....my friends used to enjoy the fact that I would keep picking up full hands of almost nothing but calamities. They were amazed. "My luck" certainly doesn't end there. Anyone that knows me is in awe of the things that happen to me. People around me generally learn to have significant respect for the black cloud over my head.

Enjoy your Vodka and don't spill it or break a glass :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3378 posts
214 upvotes
Kingston
Ok -- you can have my vodka -- you need it more than I.

Have you tried different firmwares on your DVD burner? Heck, for what a burner costs, you could just grab another and see what results you get with it ( depending how much you even care ). If you have media that works with it and can buy a reasonable price, roll with it. Hopefully the media has longevity to it, not just good results today, but a year from today.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2062 upvotes
spinbot wrote: Ok -- you can have my vodka -- you need it more than I.

Have you tried different firmwares on your DVD burner? Heck, for what a burner costs, you could just grab another and see what results you get with it ( depending how much you even care ). If you have media that works with it and can buy a reasonable price, roll with it. Hopefully the media has longevity to it, not just good results today, but a year from today.
I've tried just about every firmware that has been released for the BenQ 1650, yes. Not because I had trouble with anyone them (refer to my previous posts for a slight exception to this) but because I was always interested in getting the best possible burn for whichever media I was using at the time. I also have a LiteOn SHW-160P6S but I don't trust it for good-quality burns. I'm afraid that it slipped my mind to try it out with the Verbs that I had but even if it had seemed happy with them, I would always have been nervous about it (I'm sure you can relate).

I have thoroughly loved my 1650 (since buying it over a year ago) and I have kept an eye out for a potential replacement (in case it should give up the ghost) but I have never since heard the type of respect, unwavering and glowing reviews that I did wrt the BenQ as compared to other descendants( models) or products by other companies. Any recommendations for a 1650 replacement? *sniff*> :(

You keep the vodka....I'm on my second glass of an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3378 posts
214 upvotes
Kingston
txenglan wrote: Any recommendations for a 1650 replacement? *sniff*> :(
Now we are into the DD's area of expertise. Personally, I run the Pioneer DVR-111D and have no issues with it. I use to run BenQ 1620 (im pretty sure that was the model). I had no issues with it either ( after some firmware updates ), however I bought parts for a new PC, so just got a new DVD drive at the same time. For reference, both DVD Burners were the one's the DD recommended ( at the time ). I've been following his guidance on burners and media and everything has been going great.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2062 upvotes
spinbot wrote: Now we are into the DD's area of expertise. Personally, I run the Pioneer DVR-111D and have no issues with it. I use to run BenQ 1620 (im pretty sure that was the model). I had no issues with it either ( after some firmware updates ), however I bought parts for a new PC, so just got a new DVD drive at the same time. For reference, both DVD Burners were the one's the DD recommended ( at the time ). I've been following his guidance on burners and media and everything has been going great.
As far as following DD recommendations, so too have I. In fact, I had been waiting for him to comment on the scans I did, using the Verbatim media. He had asked me about the options I was using with the 1650. Anyhow, he was a big fan of the 1650 (and I believe, still is). Not sure which firmware he prefers on that drive though but I anticipate that his comment on that that would be along the lines of, "that depends on which media you are using". :D
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1267 posts
47 upvotes
So I just read the review of the SH-S203B on CDRLabs and it looks like a pretty good review. What's the dolphin's recommendation now between the S203B and the Pioneer 212?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1486 posts
37 upvotes
Macross_Freek wrote: So I just read the review of the SH-S203B on CDRLabs and it looks like a pretty good review. What's the dolphin's recommendation now between the S203B and the Pioneer 212?
I'd like to know too...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
I just found out there's DVD+RW Dual Layer. Does anyone know where to get some of this? I'm wondering how much such a thing will cost but this is great it means way less coasters when testing movie burns or DVD-Video discs.

Go here http://www.ecma-international.org/publi ... ma-374.htm
Scroll down to the section titled Data Interchange and Archiving by Physical Media
Click on ECMA-374 this is the link http://www.ecma-international.org/publi ... ma-374.htm you can read the pdf file about it if you want too.
Ebay Feedback Score:55 | 68 Pos | 100%
My Heat 25-1-0

[POST=5799853]Best Quality DVD Burn I've Seen[/POST]
My Sale/Trade Lists [THREAD=399765]Computers[/THREAD]
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15193 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
No, don't know where to buy DVD+RW Double Layer. Haven't seen them anywhere in store or online.

What I'm looking for are some Labelflash +Rs in Canada.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15193 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
It's like Lightscribe, but mostly EU (and maybe other continents, but only just trickling to North America).

Labelflash has a blue tint instead of the Lightscribe's gold. Lightscribe does offer coloured surfaces, but so far, it's been restricted to CD-Rs (don't know why that is).

Labelflash includes Yamaha's Disc T@2, which writes patterns on the data side, but only on DVD Rs, not CD-Rs. Not a "to die for" feature, but it's kind of cool when you've got extra space on a disc.

Lightscribe requires driver-type software in addition to a CD/DVD graphics editor (such as Nero), whereas Labelflash only requires the graphics editor (such as Nero).

The popular Pioneer 111 can be firmware flashed to support Labelflash. Probably the Pio 112, as well. Don't know of any other writers available here that is Labelflash capable.

//edited to fix type ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for explaining Labelflash rabbit :) much appreciated.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=501160
Ghetto_Child wrote: Does anyone know how/where to find the list of recommended medium codes for this drive?
DD what's your opinion on this drive especially since it's $25-$30 new at The Source? Can you help with the recommended MIDs?
My Heat 25-1-0

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16511 posts
3315 upvotes
Requirements:

a) Beige
b) SATA
c) burn my TGY02 at 12x

Choices at my local LCS:

Pioneer DVR 212D SATA
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
LG GSA-H62N SATA
LiteOn LH-20A1S SATA
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1486 posts
37 upvotes
I just burned my first DL with my new Pioneer 212 at 4X. Nero quality scan (8X) hangs at layer break with error values off the scale. A disc from the same spindle of Verbatim 2.4X +DL burned at 2.4X on my BenQ 1650 scored 95% (8X scan.) Is this a test issue, or is the quality of my burned disc no good? Your insights are much appreciated!
P.S.: Both drives have latest firmware. Nero CD Speed version 4.7.0.0. (Version 4.7.7.5 doesn't seem to work with the Pioneer.) Burns made with Nero 7.5.9.0.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
txenglan wrote: I've tried just about every firmware that has been released for the BenQ 1650, yes. Not because I had trouble with anyone them (refer to my previous posts for a slight exception to this) but because I was always interested in getting the best possible burn for whichever media I was using at the time. I also have a LiteOn SHW-160P6S but I don't trust it for good-quality burns. I'm afraid that it slipped my mind to try it out with the Verbs that I had but even if it had seemed happy with them, I would always have been nervous about it (I'm sure you can relate).

I have thoroughly loved my 1650 (since buying it over a year ago) and I have kept an eye out for a potential replacement (in case it should give up the ghost) but I have never since heard the type of respect, unwavering and glowing reviews that I did wrt the BenQ as compared to other descendants( models) or products by other companies. Any recommendations for a 1650 replacement? *sniff*> :(

You keep the vodka....I'm on my second glass of an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon :cheesygri
I have had the BenQ 1650 for about 1 1/2 years and it's still going strong.
I haven't "updated" the firmware at all and it works fine, so I don't bother.
Hope to keep it for another 2 or 3 years.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2062 upvotes
I got 2 packs of the +r Verbatim Media this time as per the thread on the Staples sale. So far, I have only had one crappy burn. All the rest are scanning in at 95 and above.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Macross_Freek wrote: So I just read the review of the SH-S203B on CDRLabs and it looks like a pretty good review. What's the dolphin's recommendation now between the S203B and the Pioneer 212?
I have both the SH-S203B and a Pioneer 112, for good media like TY and Verbatim, the S203B burn slightly better than the Pioneer and can burn at a higher speed with good results too but Pioneer could handle poor media like TDK, Memerox etc slightly better than the Samsung. The Samsung burn Cdr pretty good while my 112 couldn't burn or read cdr, btw I am still waiting for my 112 to come back from rma.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1267 posts
47 upvotes
apvm wrote: I have both the SH-S203B and a Pioneer 112, for good media like TY and Verbatim, the S203B burn slightly better than the Pioneer and can burn at a higher speed with good results too but Pioneer could handle poor media like TDK, Memerox etc slightly better than the Samsung. The Samsung burn Cdr pretty good while my 112 couldn't burn or read cdr, btw I am still waiting for my 112 to come back from rma.
I would actually like to buy the 212 but I would prefer to have bitsetting option. Is non bitsetting with DVD+R media pretty irrelevant now with newer dvd players? I do have some older dvd players but I've always used bitsetting to set DVD+R to DVD-ROM.

Also as another question, was the 212 plagued with the same cd issue as the 112? I don't remember reading anything definitive about this. Would the newest firmware release have fixed this on both the 112 and 212?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hey everyone I don't know if any of you came across this medium code. I've got 250pcs of this medium code right now. I'm testing a screener of my friend's movie "The Descendant" anyway. I will post graphs of the PI/PO test I did using my PX-716A and PlexTools Professional V2.35

To give you a hint/preview the medium code is ProdiscF01 exactly written like that. According to PlexTools and Nero CD-DVD speed it's a 4.7GB 8X DVD-R disc that was burned in a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4165B labeled "STORAGELABS_TINYUDF_VOLUME". Nero scandisc says each file in the 3.7GB movie on the disc is 100% and here's a text result of a SUM1 PI Error and SUM8 PI Error scan below. I don't know what brand/label these spindles are from. I have 5 spindles of 50 discs and all 5 spindles are identical with Arial font on the spindle cover. These spindles could be just generic empty ones bought to store a bulk pack of the discs. I really don't know if they came with the discs. Oh the spindles look the same as I've seen RiData come in, clear cover with smooth rounded edges and the part that holds the disc is all gray.

The ECMA has a couple of standards that determine what are good ranges. For SUM1 (PI Errors per block) you must not have more than 4 errors per block. For SUM8 (PI Errors per 8 consecutive blocks) you must not have more than 280 errors per 8 blocks. If you want to know what an error is and what it means you can look it up on the ECMA International website. Download the ECMA 267 Standard for DVD-ROM, the ECMA 337 Standard for DVD+R/RW and the ECMA 338 Standard for DVD-R/RW at http://www.ecma-international.org/publi ... nterchange

Code: Select all

Nero CD-DVD Speed V4.10
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
 Disc type:           : DVD-R
 Book Type            : DVD-R
 Manufacturer:        :  unknown
 MID                  : ProdiscF01
 Write speeds:        : 4 X - 6 X - 8 X
 Blank Capacity       : 4.38 GB
                      : 4489 MB
                      : 4707319808 bytes
Extended Information
 Layers               : 1
 Usage                : General
 Copyright protection : n/a
 Recorder information : recorded with HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4165B
 Disc Status          : Closed
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 88 0D 0C 88 88 90 00 - .@....R.........
0010 - 03 50 72 6F 64 69 73 00 04 63 46 30 31 00 00 00 - .Prodis..cF01...
0020 - 05 B8 83 00 30 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 66 C1 FA 77 - ....0.......f..w
0030 - 34 00 00 C0 10 DB 05 00 1E 48 2F 7C 34 00 00 C0 - 4........H/|4...
0040 - 8C DB 05 00 F8 EB FD 7F B4 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF - ................
0050 - CC DB 05 00 44 33 4A 00 25 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 - ....D3J.%.......
0060 - 00 00 00 00 18 00 00 00 3C 00 00 00 F8 EB FD 7F - ........<.......

[B]Q-Check PIPO SUM1 ProdiscF01 8X-R.txt[/B]
This scan tests for uncorrectable PI errors per data block on the disc
-------------------------------------------------------
PlexTools Professional V2.35     Q-Check PI/PO Test
Copyright(C) 1999-2006 Plextor SA/NV
Sun, October 21, 2007
                  PIF        POE        POF
       Avg       0.01          -          -
       Max          2          -          -
     Total        748          -          0

[B]Q-Check PIPO SUM8 ProdiscF01 8X-R.txt[/B]
This scan tests for PI errors before correction per 8 consecutive data blocks on the disc
PlexTools Professional V2.35     Q-Check PI/PO Test
Copyright(C) 1999-2006 Plextor SA/NV
Sun, October 21, 2007
                  PIE        POE        POF
       Avg       2.31          -          -
       Max         18          -          -
     Total      34891          -          0
SUM1 PI uncorrectable Errors per block scan on left. SUM8 PI Error before correction per 8 consecutive blocks scan on right.
[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/dawgmac69/hard ... 1_8x-r.png[/IMG][IMG]http://www.geocities.com/dawgmac69/hard ... 1_8x-r.png[/IMG]
Does anyone know how to attach or embed an html page into a post?
All graphs of ProdiscF01 Quality Scans

CDDVDtest_ProdiscF01_8X-R.txt

Q-Check_Beta_Jitter_16_ECC_Blocks_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_Beta_Jitter_8_ECC_Blocks_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_PIPO_Basic_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_PIPO_Basic_ProdiscF01_8X-R.txt

Q-Check_PIPO_Burst_PIE_POF_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_PIPO_Burst_POE_POF_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_PIPO_Burst_ProdiscF01_8X-R.txt

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM1_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM1_ProdiscF01_8X-R.txt

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM8_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM8_ProdiscF01_8X-R.txt

Q-Check_TA_Inner_Zone_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_TA_Middle_Zone_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Q-Check_TA_Outer_Zone_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Read_Transfer_Rate_ProdiscF01_8X-R.html

Do any of the media gurus have any comments about this media? Where to buy it even? DD? buck? BestOffer?

EDIT Oct. 23rd 9:15 AM:
I just did a quick scan on 2 random discs from the 250 disc set I'm previewing. One disc which was dirty prior to testing had a noticeable dip in quality especially on the last 1/3rd of the disc. Keep in mind this disc had some liquid residue on it before testing. The other randome disc had same results as the very 1st disc scanned. Superb quality, both random discs were burned using Roxio Toast on an HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B. So that's 3 discs, 2 recording softwares, 2 different DVD writters, all the same medium code, burned this July.

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM1_ProdiscF01_8X-R_Disc2.html

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM1_ProdiscF01_8X-R_Disc2.txt

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM8_ProdiscF01_8X-R_Disc2.html

Q-Check_PIPO_SUM8_ProdiscF01_8X-R_Disc2.txt
My Heat 25-1-0

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)