PC & Video Games

Wiikey Update 1.9b Finally Here Officially! Works on Clones and Originals!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2007 8:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
2885 posts
45 upvotes
AlexV wrote: This sounds like a pretty big joke. The fate of a piece of hardware that's used by many thousands around the world is dependent on a lone university student? And again, what's with the lack of communication? Why are there no official updates, but instead a never ending supply of these unconfirmed and highly questionable rumors that keep appearing?
They only really communicate with a few people and unfortunately that isnt the public, I dont get a direct communication, but my source is pretty reliable and hasnt failed me in the past with inside info. On a public viewpoint, the important thing is we know theyre alive still and dont plan to bail because they keep making improvements to the chip design etc (why would they waste time doing those changes). Theyve finally listend to us to make the direct install method actually line up and the pth pads go all the way through so its a good install as well. The other thing is they released the hologram stickers on the latest batch, and just recently updated their site today with that info. The changes are slow but it isnt bail out type proceedure.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
diabolical7 wrote: any news?
Ya, new hologram stickers to help you distinguish between the clones and the real deal :cheesygri

Man, what a joke. GBAtemp and some other website are dropping the Wiikey review scores due to the lack of updates and the lateness (if ever).
Nov 30, 2003
209 posts
They simply cannot BEAT the clones!!!

Clones GO! GO! GO!

The 10.99 shipped kaidomain clone rocks! :cheesygri

BTW: the hologram stickers can be easily cloned within minutes. You have even more chance to get a clone while you think it is the real one.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3711 posts
1395 upvotes
Ottawa
I've just received word from my friend emu_kidd (the coder for wiikey,author of gcos) that the update is slated for a release date sometime between July 1-15.

He said it will include DVD-9 support and GC audiofix. He claimed there's not much to improve or add considering its a drive chip and doesn't have its own bios like the Qoob or Viper.

Also stated is the update will work on clones as most of the delays are coming from trying to block clones, even though they said they wouldn't.They haven't found a way to do it yet.

Secondly, this will be the first and last update. He was hired just for this release and once this is out, there will be no more updates as they just want to release the fixes they promised.

So this is what he has told me but its not carved in stone.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shadow_cruiser wrote: I've just received word from my friend emu_kidd (the coder for wiikey,author of gcos) that the update is slated for a release date sometime between July 1-15.

He said it will include DVD-9 support and GC audiofix. He claimed there's not much to improve or add considering its a drive chip and doesn't have its own bios like the Qoob or Viper.

Also stated is the update will work on clones as most of the delays are coming from trying to block clones, even though they said they wouldn't.They haven't found a way to do it yet.

Secondly, this will be the first and last update. He was hired just for this release and once this is out, there will be no more updates as they just want to release the fixes they promised.

Just because he was only hired to make this one update doesn't mean it will be the last update ever..
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote: I've just received word from my friend emu_kidd (the coder for wiikey,author of gcos) that the update is slated for a release date sometime between July 1-15.

I hope you're right about the clone part not being blocked. If that was the reason for the delay, the wiikey team is dumber than I thought. I know a lot of people who thought they were buying a geniune but got the clones instead (very hard to see if it's real or not).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3711 posts
1395 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote: Just because he was only hired to make this one update doesn't mean it will be the last update ever..
The wiikey team has told him he was only hired to put out this release and that will be the end of it, releases. They don't want to do their in-house coding as they have no need to in their eyes, enough money is being made already.

..but as I said, nothing is set in stone.
sfu_lifer wrote:I hope you're right about the clone part not being blocked. If that was the reason for the delay, the wiikey team is dumber than I thought. I know a lot of people who thought they were buying a geniune but got the clones instead (very hard to see if it's real or not)
You guys have to realize that the clone is made at the same factory as the Wiikey using the exact same components. Its damn near impossible for them to distinguish between the two and make an update thats uncompatible. Even the new hologram stickers are being cloned now because again, they are being made at the same place. Wiikey never learns.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shadow_cruiser wrote: The wiikey team has told him he was only hired to put out this release and that will be the end of it, releases. They don't want to do their in-house coding as they have no need to in their eyes, enough money is being made already.

..but as I said, nothing is set in stone.
I hope you're wrong. I chose the WiiKey as it was advertised to be well supported with future updates to come.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Nov 15, 2005
69 posts
5 upvotes
well i hope this update finally materializes.
compliments of your friendly neighbourhood sandman.........
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
http://www.wiikey.cn/news.html
[QUOTE]Update delays

Quite a few people have contacted us and expressed disappointment over that the update has not been released yet. We would like to apologize for this. Please bear in mind that development work always take time, and we are will post the update as soon as it is delivered to s by the developers.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Sophisticated (true) update mechanism via DVD (future proof, expect cool features to come)[/QUOTE]
soon?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2002
1606 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton. Äl-Berta
Menace wrote: Now cheap clone users can start kicking their ass :D :D
LOL

it has been 2 months since this post. I wonder who is kicing who :D
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
2885 posts
45 upvotes
Avenger wrote: All old, but this will be a good month for WiiKey owners from what I have heard.
yes should be a very good month. :)
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote
DJXP wrote: yes should be a very good month. :)
I hope you aren't getting our hopes up... :o
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1320 posts
111 upvotes
Waited and waited. Soon, probably have to give up hope.
Intel 2600K @ 4.5Ghz / 8GB
Asus P8P67 DELUXE / Asus GTX 780
Antec 900 Mid Tower / Corsair H70 / XFX 850W Power Supply
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
2885 posts
45 upvotes
TurboRegal wrote: I hope you aren't getting our hopes up... :o
Well whenever I ask, I was told July. If they don't come out with the update by end of July, I will start including a toggle switch with these.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)