• Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
To be honest, I've never heard anyone call a shrinkwrapped package a spindle :-0
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
rabbit wrote: Technically, the spindle is part of the cakebox. Shrink-wrapped packages don't have a shaft of any kind going through the holes so "spindle" is an obvious misnomer.

-- from Merriam Webster http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/spindle
"c : any of various rods or pins holding a bobbin in a textile machine"

Sounds like the industry definition of a spindle being just a bunch of shrink-wrapped discs is wrong, in terms of the english language.
I certainly won't disagree there! :cheesygri I personally think it's overly confusing and stupid.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
'[buck wrote:;4942052']Oh absolutely, MIJ Maxell is awesome stuff, and I've got about 80 MAXELL002 discs of my own that I'm saving for important stuff. Unfortunately, Maxell started outsourcing exclusively to Taiwan when their 16x media came out.
If the 8X +R are Ritek R03 and are as good as the Fujis I bought nearly 2 years ago, I would definitely grab some. I just did a scan of a 1.5 year old R03 burn and there's no degradation at all. ( 97 quality)
Nov 28, 2005
180 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I just received some Maxell Plus (white thermal printable) from NCIX and they are Taiyo Yuden.

Is it likely then that DirectCanada stocks are now Taiyo Yuden too? I'd love to find some more MXLRG03 before they are all gone. > :(
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1396 posts
141 upvotes
Hey DD... First post in this thread and I have a question about what media to use on my old drives.
I have a Phillips SDVD-8820 drive (on my dell inspiron) and a Pioneer DVR-A04 drive on my PC. I was wondering which media would be best to use with these two burners?

I was really only considering 8x media and the only think I have really tried is TY-G02 media..
Do you think theres anything better or even comparable? The price for the TY discs are quite high and I dont know if I can keep buying them at this rate...
Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1378 posts
152 upvotes
ak-47 wrote: any comments on these Philips 16X DVDs?

33$ for 100 at FS

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 587&catid=
Reviewer from 06/06 sez they're CMC MAG M01
Philips DVD+R 16X, 6/26/2006
Reviewer: Andre S, Quebec
I bought two 50 spindles of these during Xmas sale and just bought another 100 spindle during last week sale. These are CMC MAG M01 DVD+R which are quote as medium-low quality. I use a Benq 1640 DVD writer and tested a few with QSuite and none past 16X test, a few 12X but all passed 8X with flying colors. I have burned 8X, Nero 7about 100 of them transfering my family videos on DVD and for backup without making a single coaster. So I recommend them as long as you record them at half speed. However, I cannot say anything about their long term stability.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
karst wrote: I just received some Maxell Plus (white thermal printable) from NCIX and they are Taiyo Yuden.

Is it likely then that DirectCanada stocks are now Taiyo Yuden too? I'd love to find some more MXLRG03 before they are all gone. > :(
Well, I have some good news... I *JUST* received word from Maxell today that they plan to return their Plus Series 8x DVD-Rs to their own Japanese plant production. I don't know when the new product will be showing up in North America (or specifically Canada), but it's something to keep an eye on. As for NCIX and DirectCanada.com, if the White Thermal's are now TYG02, then probably all media for both stores are TYG02.

In the mean time, the Maxell BQ is all MXLRG03, and the highest quality 8x DVD-R you can probably find anywhere :) (although you'll pay for it!)
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
akademiks wrote: Hey DD... First post in this thread and I have a question about what media to use on my old drives.
I have a Phillips SDVD-8820 drive (on my dell inspiron) and a Pioneer DVR-A04 drive on my PC. I was wondering which media would be best to use with these two burners?

I was really only considering 8x media and the only think I have really tried is TY-G02 media..
Do you think theres anything better or even comparable? The price for the TY discs are quite high and I dont know if I can keep buying them at this rate...
Thanks

For your Philips drive, use these:
http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=1215

For your Pioneer drive, wait for a new product Blankmedia.ca will be carrying soon also. It'll be a Verbatim 2x DvD-R 5pk, priced in a similar area per disc I expect.

For old drives like that, it's best if possible to use media that existed back when the drives were being made. It's easier for the drive to burn, and more likely to produce good results. If I may suggest also, you should buy as much media as you think you will use in the drive's remaining lifetime. It was VERY unusual for Blankmedia.ca to find this media, especially at the prices they got it at, so don't expect the deal to last long.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Spike wrote: A fairly new public dvd media database here:

http://media.bitburners.com/
That looks REALLY promising!! I like a lot of the features that already exist, and will probably make a few suggestions once I've discussed it with some of my peers :)

Thank you VERY much for that link!!
*bookmarked*
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
7099 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Speedlabs recently compared the pioneer 112 to the sata brother, 212.

Interesting to see how pioneer 'messed up' with the 9 and 10 generations, but turned it all around for the 11 and 12.

DD, or any other media guru, care to weigh in and let us know why/how/where pioneer went wrong?
speedlabs wrote:Lets take a look at how our "Pioneer ranking" is progressing, with the addition of the new models:

DVR-212 <-- 1st

DVR-112 <-- 2nd

DVR-A11 <-- 3rd

DVR-A06 <-- 4th

DVR-A08 <-- 5th

DVR-A05 <-- 6th

DVR-A10 <-- 7th

DVR-A09 <-- 8th

As usual, we reserve this little table for drive-experts and those that have been around the traps for many years. The A09 series still lives at the dead end, not performing nearly as well as it's older and younger brothers. It looks like, on this occasion, the 112 series drives have gravitated their way to the top of the heap.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
balou911 wrote: Speedlabs recently compared the pioneer 112 to the sata brother, 212.

Interesting to see how pioneer 'messed up' with the 9 and 10 generations, but turned it all around for the 11 and 12.

DD, or any other media guru, care to weigh in and let us know why/how/where pioneer went wrong?
Hrm... I don't know WHY they went wrong, but I'd say they deffinately *DID*. My ranking of the drives would look a LITTLE different, but similar in a lot of ways:

DVR-A11 <-- 1st

DVR-212 <-- 2nd (I haven't seen tests from the new firmware, it might be better then the DVR-A11 now, the difference was small, and subjective)
DVR-112 <-- 2nd (same drive, different interface)

DVR-A06 <-- 3rd

DVR-A09 <-- 4th (I feel this was one of their better drives)

DVR-A08 <-- 5th

DVR-A05 <-- 6th

DVR-A04 <-- 7th

DVR-A10 <-- 8th (by far the worst POS that came out of Pioneer)
DVD
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Spike wrote: A fairly new public dvd media database here:

http://media.bitburners.com/
great link and service!
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Well, I have some good news... I *JUST* received word from Maxell today that they plan to return their Plus Series 8x DVD-Rs to their own Japanese plant production. I don't know when the new product will be showing up in North America (or specifically Canada), but it's something to keep an eye on. As for NCIX and DirectCanada.com, if the White Thermal's are now TYG02, then probably all media for both stores are TYG02.

In the mean time, the Maxell BQ is all MXLRG03, and the highest quality 8x DVD-R you can probably find anywhere :) (although you'll pay for it!)
that is GREAT news!

briefly, what media can you recommend that is a grade lower than the BQ?
  • benq 1655
  • don't care about speed of burn
  • care enough about price that BQs are too $$$
(my super old TYG02 stocks are almost used up :lol: )
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
ShadowVlican wrote: briefly, what media can you recommend that is a grade lower than the BQ?
  • benq 1655
  • don't care about speed of burn
  • care enough about price that BQs are too $$$
(my super old TYG02 stocks are almost used up :lol: )
I would suggest these guys:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=425837

Use QSuite and enable overspeed, and you can get a nice stable 8x out of them, and maybe even 12x.

Really, with a BenQ drive (or most Plextors), not going for this media would be like throwing away money for no reason. Any drive that can burn these guys at 8x really.
DVD
Apr 14, 2004
308 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I have been using the Maxell Plus series myself based on DD recommendation from awhile back. I am almost out of stock though. The place with the verbatim 4x is a little out of my way.

I only use the Maxell Plus series shiney silver ones. Should I get more of those (I understand they are lesser quality now) say from ncix or should I get Verbatim -R's (not the dual layers, the regular ones) from futureshop? If its the verbatims, is there anything I should look out for? special packaging etc...

help! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
I got a 50pc spool of Kodak dvd-r 8x today, white inkjet printable. Product code I get is OPTODISCR008....anyone know if these are decent for burning console backups?
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
sandman804 wrote: I have been using the Maxell Plus series myself based on DD recommendation from awhile back. I am almost out of stock though. The place with the verbatim 4x is a little out of my way.

I only use the Maxell Plus series shiney silver ones. Should I get more of those (I understand they are lesser quality now) say from ncix or should I get Verbatim -R's (not the dual layers, the regular ones) from futureshop? If its the verbatims, is there anything I should look out for? special packaging etc...

help! :cheesygri
If the place with the Verbatim 4x DVD+Rs is a little out of the way, why don't you just ask them to ship them to you? (yes, they *DO* ship, you just need to ASK for it :razz: ).

The Maxell plus series are good. The Verbatim from NCIX and Precisionsound.com are 8x and are not susceptible to the problems that have been found on the 16x (sold at Futureshop and TSCC). So I would recommend either the Maxell Plus Series or the Verbatim 8x DVDRs from NCIX or Precisionsound.com.
DVD

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)