Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

TDK 100pk DVD+/-R @ Costco 50% off again (printable)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2007 6:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
Not sure how good the MIT version is, but the last batches of the Made In Luxembourg inket printable DVD-R TDK's were on BOGO at Costco December 2005, over a year ago. They were good.
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18176 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond
wanna_be wrote: The same spindle is on for $17.77 at Walmart (Boxing Day Flyer).
Same spindle?

This is TDK instead of Memorex.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Although I *DO* recommend sharing your experiences with this media on videohelp.com (both the bad and the good), I think it is important to point out the fact that it is not so much the drive and firmware combination in this case, as much as it is the media itself is just very VERY inconsistant. I've got a spindle of DVD-Rs that will *NOT* burn, with 2 exceptions. It will burn on 1 DVD burner at 4x (I think it was my BenQ DW1650, can't quite remember now, it's been a while since I burned any), and my Stand Alone Pioneer DVD Recorder can also burn them. This is 16x media!!! and when burned at 4x, it just BARELY works (the scan is VERY bad), the DVD Recorder does an "ok" job of it. The DVD+Rs I have work "ok" in most drives at least. Other people have had better results then me on the DVD-Rs, and I've seen a lot of complaints similar to mine. In many cases, the I have tried the same firmware/drive combinations as other people with both good and bad experiences (I have a LOT of drives remember).

So as I've said before, and will continue to say. TDK is NOT RELIABLE MEDIA. Really, even Memorex is better! Hell, even *FUJI* is better, and Fuji is utter crap these days! (mostly in Canada, Fuji Canada has gone rather insane these last couple years).

As for that DigitalFAQ, it's the single most dangerous piece of web literature for the blank media market. It's the perfect example of how a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Yes, the makers of it DID try to update it, and once again they failed miserably. They completely miss the point in a lot of cases, and they really just try to "dumb it down" so much, that in the end it does more harm then good. They seriously need to sit down, do some REAL research into things, and make a better effort.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
I'm curious, but why are these well known names (tdk,fuji, maxell) letting their media quality go down the tubes?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2002
1345 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
wanna_be wrote: The same spindle is on for $17.77 at Walmart (Boxing Day Flyer).
The Wal-Mart DVD's are Memorex 16x and they are NOT printable! They are available in DVD-R & DVD+R however if ink-jet printable is not a big deal to you.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2002
1345 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OrdG wrote: but they're still the cheapest "name brand" printables I could find.
Boxing Week DVD's at Best Buy are 100 Memorex 16x (+R and -R) for $19.99. They seem to be OOS at most locations, but just take the flyer to Future Shop and try a PM. I got 3 spindles yesterday at about $18.00 ea after 110% PM. YMMV however as they may call to check stock, but during Boxing Week they are so busy, the cashiers seem to be PM'ing whatever you show them in a flyer :D
Oct 24, 2005
457 posts
68 upvotes
I think TDK from Costco specifically is crap. They must be selling old stock that sat oraound or eve exposed to sun. I bought the BOGO deals years ago and one I used quickly burned fine but some have failed to read since and the second spindle I tried to use about a year later failed to burn. I tried the first 5 then gave up. I thought my burner died but it burned different media just fine. A recent 100 x16 spindle burns at x4.

I will not be buying them anymore at costco. TKD however is still rated among the best but I guess we have to pay regular price for fresh media.
Aug 30, 2004
459 posts
6 upvotes
Ummm... I'm not sure I even consider Memorex to be a "name brand" anymore. The TDKs, especially those made in India, have worked beautifully for me in pretty much any of my burners.
Nov 10, 2003
995 posts
443 upvotes
juno1st wrote: Some on that site say that the 100 packs always have a few coasters, but the 50 packs never do.
Actually, I bought the -R 50 packs a little while back when Costco was having their BOGO on these. Let me just say that one of the spindles was utterly useless: there were air bubbles on the dye on every disc!!

The second spindle has been semi-okay as I will be able to burn on to them and they will verify fine, however, when playing a backed-up movie, some scenes will have skips or pixelation. A reburn using some of my old MIJ Maxells did not have the same problem. BTW, the TDK's have the TTGO2 MID.

Bottom line, I'd stay far away from these disks if possible.
Nov 1, 2006
438 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
I have used quite a few TDKs over the last year or so. Most of them work ok. However, if you are not lucky, you may get a spindle that is defective. Take a look at the one that is not completed or has problem, you can see the dye is not even, with spots like water marks. So far, I have encountered about three spindles with dyes like that.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7649 upvotes
Kanata
I'd rather not waste my time buying junk media or trying to burn anything of value onto them.
I guess it depends on how lucky you feel, or how much your time is worth to you.
To me, 50% off junk is still junk. I don't like paying for junk even if it's half price. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
MrDisco wrote: I'm curious, but why are these well known names (tdk,fuji, maxell) letting their media quality go down the tubes?
Simple, they can't make any money on it. People want discs they can buy for $0.20 or less. So brands did what they had to in order to meet the demand by the retail outlets.

And why wouldn't they do this when they can sell 100's of thousands of spindles to all the people who are like "OMGz!! cheap media!!" and then buy out the store's stock.

So as long as people continue to not care about the quality of media, and as long as people don't take action about the crappy media they receive, there will be no changes with the major brands. As for as they're concerned, nothing has changed, because sales are good, and complaints are no higher.
DVD
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2005
1009 posts
70 upvotes
I agree with DD, when videohelp says only a few people with exceptional burners like Benq1640+ or Pioneer109+ can write to the disc, it means that the disk is trouble.

FUJI - two burned discs (burned 1yr ago) are unreadable now. That has happened with one TDK so far. All done with a Benq1640. Scary!
Mar 29, 2006
33 posts
1 upvote
Richmond
juno1st wrote: I agree with DD, when videohelp says only a few people with exceptional burners like Benq1640+ or Pioneer109+ can write to the disc, it means that the disk is trouble.

FUJI - two burned discs (burned 1yr ago) are unreadable now. That has happened with one TDK so far. All done with a Benq1640. Scary!
I burned already around 70 disks purchased last year - no problem.
The media is TDK TTH02 (from COSTCO) and DVD writer - LG GSA-4163B with latest firmware.
Dec 23, 2002
382 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
juno1st wrote: I agree with DD, when videohelp says only a few people with exceptional burners like Benq1640+ or Pioneer109+ can write to the disc, it means that the disk is trouble.
Statistically speaking, close to 0% of consumers with positive experience with a product or service will ever proactively praise about it while almost 100% of consumers with negative experience will tell at least 6 person about it and often multiple times. So the videohelp database is probably not a very reliable measure of the quality of these TDK DVD
Feb 21, 2005
760 posts
156 upvotes
I would have to chime in here, and agree with kc33....

I have purchased close to 700 DVD+R (All TDK, All costco) and have maybe 10 coasters (of which I know all were human error, or dog error) I am quite happy with the media (Use +R as my denon only plays +r); using a dvd109 pioneer and a plextor 740. No probs at 16x (although the denon prefers media written at 6x or less - really wierd)
An agressive nature does not make a weaker man a gladiator....
Aug 30, 2004
459 posts
6 upvotes
If you get the TDKs with the CMC MAG media ID, then you've got the crappy ones (I know, I just opened a pack, 2 coasters @ 16x on different burners, 1 good burn @ 8x so far). If you get the TDKs with a TTH or TDK media ID, they're just fine (I burned hundreds of these @ 16x no problem).
May 27, 2006
71 posts
In my personal experience, TDK media has always been extremely reliable. I have purchased several generations of TDK DVD+R and DVD-R media rated from 4x to 16x mostly from Costco and never had a problem with them. No issues in readability for either computers or set top dvd players. After several hundred burns I would have to guess that I have a coaster rate of about 1 per 100. Currently using a NEC ND-3520 burner, previously a Pioneer A04.

People who have problems with this media should check to see if TDK is listed on the manufacturers recommened media list for that burner.

My last batch of 16x DVD+R (white inkjet printable) were identified as TTH02

Today's batch of 16x DVD+R (white inkjet printable) from Costco today (Kitchener) are identified as CMC MAG M01
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
[quote="kc33" post_id="4417695" time="1167432689" user_id="2817"]Statistically speaking, close to 0% of consumers with positive experience with a product or service will ever proactively praise about it while almost 100% of consumers with negative experience will tell at least 6 person about it and often multiple times. So the videohelp database is probably not a very reliable measure of the quality of these TDK DVD
DVD
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kipper wrote: 50% off or buy 1 get 1 free? Price-wise, no difference, but quantity wise, huge difference, some of us would NEVER use 100DVDs, let alone 200DVDs, and does this deal require coupons as always?
With DVDs cheaper than CDRs, I've started using them for backups, data storage and as "disposable" discs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)