• Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Boss_Scorpius wrote:Umm.....DD I've read numerous reviews and still can't find out what dvd burner to buy. Can you recommend a burner which is fast in dvd read/write, and isn't picky about the media and has all the vital features (I don't even know whether I need a certain feature or not, I don't have dvd burning exprience)?

I need the burner mainly for data backup (just burning off bunch of iso images in my HD to save some space), occasional Dvd movie backup and burning.

Thanks and sorry it this has been already posted by someone, there were some recommendations in this 100 page thread but they're not very recent, so I thought I would ask again in case new burners came out that are better.
Well, the fastest burner I've seen by far is the LG 4163B, but the speed comes with a drawback: The discs burned at 12x or 16x often have very higher jitter and assymetry error rates, which reduce compatability on picky DVD players, and ESPECIALLY on console game systems (PS2, XBox).

The LG 4167B seems to be an excellent replacement for the previous LG 4163B. It keeps the speed, but manages to solve most of the jitter problems seen in previous models. I don't have one of these drives, but I have been highly encouraged by the testing (properly done testing!) I've seen done on media this drive has burned.

Possibly the most compatible DVD Burner is the BenQ DW1640, which is capable of producing usable results on even some of the worst optical media. Another large benefit to the BenQ DW1640 is that it supports automatic bitsetting for all DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R9 media, which greatly increases the compatability of DVD+R/RW/9 media on older players that could not normally support it. This is the only drive that will do this automatically for all types of DVD+R media. Other additional features of the BenQ DW1640 are available as well through the free software put out by BenQ called QSuite. It includes QScan, which tests unburned media to tell you how fast the optimum burn speed is (note, this result changes with different firmwares!). SolidBurn, which allows you to re-write recording strategies for various media types if the results you get normally are not very good (this can happen when BenQ receives one grade quality of media to base their write strategy on, but another grade quality of media is commonly sold). Overspeed, which allows the drive to attempt to burn any +R or -R (single layer) disc at 16x, although the speed will be throttled if the drives sees it as neccessary. There are other features as well, but those are the main ones ;)

If you are planning on only using high quality media, and don't mind paying more for it, then the absolute best burn quality you can get will probably come from the Plextor PX-716a.

The Pioneer DVR-110D is NOT recommended. The DVR-109 is a MUCH better burner, but not available anymore. Anyone considering buying the DVR-110D should look at my review here on it first.

My personal recommendation is the BenQ DW1640, but keep in mind there are pro's and con's for each drive, so while I prefer the DW1640 and it works well for me, you may find your tastes are better satisfied by a different drive.

EDIT: Current recommendations are BenQ DW1650/DW1655, Pioneer DVR-111, and Plextor PX-760.

The BenQ has awesome features, and can burn some media quite well that no other drive can ever make work. Pioneer's build quality is generally better, although the media support is lacking in comparison to Pioneer. Plextor's build quality is generally the best of the 3 (meaning less RMA's), and they also include some funky tools (Plextools). BenQ and Plextor support media testing, the Pioneer doesn't (officially, and the unofficial testing ability is crap).
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
I've burned Prodisc 8X media at 12X before, not sure how the errors were but it works.
Dec 24, 2003
520 posts
1 upvote
DD,

I have upgraded my 1620 to G7P9. I am having a problem using Maxell 4X DVD-Rs, with manufacturing code: MXL RG02. So far I have made 3 coasters. No problem with the DVD+Rs, but they are identified as RICHOJPN RO1 though. My previous burner, an LG had no problems with either, and it's still the same batch of disks. How do I fix this problem? Thanks and keep up the good work!
Aug 27, 2004
924 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Well, the fastest burner I've seen by far is the LG 4163B, but the speed comes with a drawback: The discs burned at 12x or 16x often have very higher jitter and assymetry error rates, which reduce compatability on picky DVD players, and ESPECIALLY on console game systems (PS2, XBox).

Possibly the most compatible DVD Burner is the BenQ DW1620, which is capable of producing usable results on most media types, with two exceptions: #1, it can NOT burn most Prodisc/Smartbuy brand media except for in rare circumstances (I've heard that some people who have RMA'd the drive 3 or 4 times have eventually gotten drives that can, but most can't), and also some discs that use the TYG02 Media Identification Code (MID Code) that are not actually made by the owner of that code (Taiyo Yuden), cannot be burned well, although in this case, using firmware revision B7S9 from the BenQ China webpage, will usually help. Another large benefit to the BenQ DW1620 is that it supports automatic bitsetting for all DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R9 media, which greatly increases the compatability of DVD+R/RW/9 media on older players that could not normally support it. This is the only drive that will do this automatically for all types of DVD+R media.

If you are planning on only using high quality media, and don't mind paying more for it, then the absolute best burn quality you can get will probably come from the Plextor PX-716a (or possibly the Pioneer DVR-109 but I haven't seem enough info to be sure on that one!).

My personaly recommendation is the BenQ DW1620, but there are pro's and con's for each drive. Also, the BenQ DW1620 is a really picky CD burner/CD Reader... so keep that in mind also.
Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I'll go with benq then. What kinda dvd media have you had the most success with, when burning with the Benq drive?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
There's a $30 USD MIR on the Plex right now.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Riflem@n wrote:I've burned Prodisc 8X media at 12X before, not sure how the errors were but it works.
Do you mean the PRODISCR03 8x DVD+Rs? Yeah, those seem to be the exception. I still have questions about their lifespan however.
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Do you mean the PRODISCR03 8x DVD+Rs? Yeah, those seem to be the exception. I still have questions about their lifespan however.
I'm not sure what the media code was but it was a Smartbuy 8X DVD+R.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
etcbq wrote:DD,

I have upgraded my 1620 to G7P9. I am having a problem using Maxell 4X DVD-Rs, with manufacturing code: MXL RG02. So far I have made 3 coasters. No problem with the DVD+Rs, but they are identified as RICHOJPN RO1 though. My previous burner, an LG had no problems with either, and it's still the same batch of disks. How do I fix this problem? Thanks and keep up the good work!
Hrm... that's odd! The results were quite good even back using B7H9, which is QUITE old now. Sadly, I don't have any more of that media, so I can't do a follow up test :(

If you don't mind possibly voiding your warranty, I would highly recommend switching to the retail release of the firmware. B7T9 might be better!
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Riflem@n wrote:I'm not sure what the media code was but it was a Smartbuy 8X DVD+R.
Yup, they only have 1 code for their 8x DVD+Rs that I'm aware of (although they MIGHT have 2 if they make them for Verbatim as well, I don't have confirmation on that).
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Boss_Scorpius wrote:Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I'll go with benq then. What kinda dvd media have you had the most success with, when burning with the Benq drive?
Taiyo Yuden will always give the best results :cheesygri

But if you need something cheaper, it also does quite well with Optodisc media, specifically Acro Circle brand. But be careful if you get the Acro Circle 8x DVD-Rs with the TYG02 code, because you will need to use B7S9 to get good results. Otherwise stick with B7T9 (not B7U9 which is newer) and you should be fine :cheesygri
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
Boss_Scorpius wrote:Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I'll go with benq then. What kinda dvd media have you had the most success with, when burning with the Benq drive?
I've used TY, RicohJPN and some Verbatim DVD+RWs.

They all work however it's really the errors and lifespan that seperate the discs apart. In terms of success, TY should be the highest.

Just a reminder that the Benq 1620 isn't a very good CD-RW drive, not sure about the writing quality but it does have trouble reading some of the CD-Rs, it's not the disc cause it works fine in any other cd drive.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Riflem@n wrote: Just a reminder that the Benq 1620 isn't a very good CD-RW drive, not sure about the writing quality but it does have trouble reading some of the CD-Rs, it's not the disc cause it works fine in any other cd drive.
Well, I'm not sure it's safe to say it isn't the disc. The fact is, many MANY readers are made to be able to read CD-Rs that are not very good quality, with burns that are quite beyond the format specifications. The BenQ drive is just much less forgiving then some drives, and still not as forgiving as most drives even. But discs that are properly burned and are of decent quality should not be problamtic I don't think.
DVD
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use B7P9 and it works fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Hrm, looks like the first BluRay burners will only cost about 500 Euro's (I have NO idea how to make the symbol for Euro's ;) ). So a little over $800 CAD to begin with

So it's like I've been saying, these are NOT consumer devices... and that's the pricing for the BenQ/Philips drive.... I wonder what the PREMIUM drive names, like Sony and Panasonic will be charging?

Don't expect these things to drop in price over night either ;)

Here's the link:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/57350
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
wlee wrote:Master DD:

Could you please take a look at my post at showthread.php?t=144154?

What would you recommend for a new burner?

Thanks!
Your drive does sound like it's on its' way out... I'll see if I can dig up my old post on recommendations.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Amourek wrote:Hmm DD, maybe you should put your overall drive recommendations in your original post, cuz it seems you get asked that question everyday. Or maybe in your sig. lol
Good idea, I added a link to my signiture :cheesygri
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
How to find out if you have REAL Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs:

[QUOTE]Real Taiyo Yuden media, made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan with TYG02 code:
Mirror band: GG000098 0404
inner plastic circle: 8G425A02660GG [/QUOTE]
Real Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs have 2 G's in the front of the serial number in their mirror band, with a 4 digit number opposite the larger serial number, in the same mirror band. The exact numbers vary from batch to batch, and exact matches are unlikely from disc to disc (so don't worry!)

There are many companies that use the TYG02 code for their 8x media, but the two most commonly seen are made by Optodisc and Infosmart (Infosmart is usually seen under the brand Hyundai). Following the above guide, you should be able to spot a real Taiyo Yuden quite easily now. Shown below is a guide on how to spot a disc with a TYG02 Media ID code, manufactured by Optodisc:

[QUOTE]Optodisc 8x DVD-R with TYG02 code:
Mirror band: R8X DD19 8021
inner plastic OL12MH0405231825E [/QUOTE]

TYG02 code media made by Optodisc always has a OL at the beginning of the serial number in the inner plastic hub. Also, the mirror band always has the R8X followed by a 4 digit code on one side of the mirror band, and a 4 digit number on the other side of the mirror band.

At a later date, if needed, I may add the info about how to spot an Infosmart made TYG02 code disc.

I hope you all find this little guide useful!

EDIT: It appears a new 8x DVD-R with TYG02 code is being sold in Canada. I am attempting to get more details about it, but currently it is known to NOT have a similar serial number system to real Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs, so if you follow the above criteria, you will still be able to differentiate between real TY and fake TY.
DVD
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
1447 posts
3 upvotes
I bought some Prodisc 4x dvd-r the other day which I thought were s03s but I got 8x s04s instead. Can you guys give me your opinions on these discs with a BENQ dw1620 running the B7P9 fw. Also, is it best to keep hard drive and dvd-rw on separate ide channels? I only have 1 ide channel in my current mobo so I had to put my boot drive and dvdrw on the same channel and the rest of my hard drives on the ide raid controller. I noticed my buffer in dvd decryptor is always near 0% now whereas it used to be around 90-100%.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)