Computers & Electronics

Setting up VOIP - Freephoneline (FPL), Voip.ms and Google Voice (GV) using Sipsorcery

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2013 5:46 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Setting up VOIP - Freephoneline (FPL), Voip.ms and Google Voice (GV) using Sipsorcery

Hi There!

I have been asking these questions in the thread in the hot deals section, but it seems to be getting burried there and need some specific help. There is no VOIP forum and didn't want to post in Cell phones.... so will try OT.

I am new to VOIP and am looking for some help with setup.

I have purchased a Linksys SPA3102 and setting it up with Freephoneline.com (FPL). I will use FPL for all local calls (incoming and outgoing) and also want to setup VOIP.ms for only outgoing LD.

I have successfully setup FPL.

Questions I have are:

How do I setup VOIP.ms now that FPL is setup?

How do I setup dialing rules to allow all incoming and outgoing local calls through the FPL line, but all LD calls out through the VOIP.ms setup?

Is it possible to use the VOIP line remotely? Say, I am at work and want to make a LD call... can I call my VOIP # and have it dial out for me?

Thanks for all you help!
240 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
As far as I know, the SPA3102 only has one FXS line.

You cannot configure both voip.ms and Freephoneline at the same time.

There is an FXO that you can use to configure your Bell line.

Answers to your questions

1. Cable Modem -> SPA3102 -> D-Link -> WRT320N (Disable DHCP, use port 4 on router not the WAN Port)
2. Can't do it, only one FXS available
3. You can set the dial plan on the config screen, but it is another topic of discussion. This doesn't apply to you. See #2
4. Only if you have an existing Bell line, you can call in through the FXO and access the FXS (FreePhoneLine) and call out
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Gee wrote: As far as I know, the SPA3102 only has one FXS line.

You cannot configure both voip.ms and Freephoneline at the same time.

There is an FXO that you can use to configure your Bell line.

Answers to your questions

1. Cable Modem -> SPA3102 -> D-Link -> WRT320N (Disable DHCP, use port 4 on router not the WAN Port)
2. Can't do it, only one FXS available
3. You can set the dial plan on the config screen, but it is another topic of discussion. This doesn't apply to you. See #2
4. Only if you have an existing Bell line, you can call in through the FXO and access the FXS (FreePhoneLine) and call out

I bought the SPA3102 based on reading up here that we could setup FPL and VOIP.ms on one line... I know that people have done it here. I just need help setting it up.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anyone?
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
still looking for help please... getting really frustrated with trying.. not much info from Google either...

I know there are a few here on this forum that have it setup and would really appreciate their help.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have told you before. You can't do it. You bought the WRONG ATA

Check the specs for the SPA3102

It features one of each

FXO (POTS or Bell Line)
FXS (SIP Line)

Since you want to connect 2 SIP lines, and there is only 1 FXS, it is not possible.

In the web interface, you should see two tabs

Line 1
PSTN Line

Line 1 is where you set up your SIP line (FreePhonLine or VoIP.ms)
PSTN Line is for your Bell (POTS) Analogue line.

If you insist on doing it, you will need a second ATA to enter the SIP information and then plug the FXS line from that ATA into your SPA3102 FXO line.

If you are going to do that, you might as well buy the SPA2102 which supports two SIP lines.

If you need an ATA that supports dual SIP accounts, I can trade you for one. I will also help you configure your accounts.

*** For the techies ***

I know that my use of FXO and FXS here is incorrect. They are connections and not accounts. I am merely using it to simplify my response.

There are ATAs like the discontinued SPA1001 that have a single FXS port, but supports two SIP accounts.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Gee wrote: I have told you before. You can't do it. You bought the WRONG ATA

Check the specs for the SPA3102

It features one of each

FXO (POTS or Bell Line)
FXS (SIP Line)

Since you want to connect 2 SIP lines, and there is only 1 FXS, it is not possible.

In the web interface, you should see two tabs

Line 1
PSTN Line

Line 1 is where you set up your SIP line (FreePhonLine or VoIP.ms)
PSTN Line is for your Bell (POTS) Analogue line.

If you insist on doing it, you will need a second ATA to enter the SIP information and then plug the FXS line from that ATA into your SPA3102 FXO line.

If you are going to do that, you might as well buy the SPA2102 which supports two SIP lines.

If you need an ATA that supports dual SIP accounts, I can trade you for one. I will also help you configure your accounts.

*** For the techies ***

I know that my use of FXO and FXS here is incorrect. They are connections and not accounts. I am merely using it to simplify my response.

There are ATAs like the discontinued SPA1001 that have a single FXS port, but supports two SIP accounts.
Just to be clear... I am setting up one main line (FPL). Voip.ms would be a gateway....

See this post where someone has set it up (although here Voip.ms is the sip line and FPL is the gateway)...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I didn't know that it was possible to send FreePhoneLine traffic through the VoIP.ms gateway.

Please see my response in the other thread.

Here is what actually happens

You register (login) to VoIP.ms servers
When you want to call local (based on dial plan) you login to FreePhoneLine's gateway through VoIP.ms

VoIP.ms can block this if they chose. Becareful.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
Shaf wrote: 2. How do I setup VOIP.ms now that FPL is setup?
Do you only want to send outgoing calls using voip.ms on your SPA3xxx? If so, that is possible using the gateway feature.

EDIT: Here's more info. Set up voip.ms' proxy, username and password under Gateway 1 (under the Line 1 tab). Then, in your dialplan, have certain calls go out voip.ms. For example, if you want all 911 calls to go out your landline, all 416/647 calls to go out freephoneline and all LD/international calls to go out voip.ms, your dialplan would look like this:

(911S0<:@gw0>|416[2-9]xxxxxxS0|647[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0<:@gw1>|011[2-9]xx.<:@gw1>)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote: VoIP.ms can block this if they chose. Becareful.
The calls do not go through the Line 1 SIP account, they are sent to the gateway mentioned under GW1 directly. It's essentially a call with no SIP registration - however, since there is no DID, registration is not necessary.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
nabeel wrote: Do you only want to send outgoing calls using voip.ms on your SPA3xxx? If so, that is possible using the gateway feature.

EDIT: Here's more info. Set up voip.ms' proxy, username and password under Gateway 1 (under the Line 1 tab). Then, in your dialplan, have certain calls go out voip.ms. For example, if you want all 911 calls to go out your landline, all 416/647 calls to go out freephoneline and all LD/international calls to go out voip.ms, your dialplan would look like this:

(911S0<:@gw0>|416[2-9]xxxxxxS0|647[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0<:@gw1>|011[2-9]xx.<:@gw1>)
Thank you! You seem to know exactly what I want to do.

I will however only have the FPL and Voip.ms for LD.

911 needs to go through FPL
Any local calls should go through FPL
Since FPL also includes some Cdn cities, i would prefer to have 1xxxxx also go through FPL
Any number that starts with say #1xxxxxx should go through Voip.ms (for those that are not free from FPL
Any number that starts with 011xxxx should go through FPL
NO incoming calls from Voip.ms - only outgoing...

What should my dial plan be now?

FPL has given me this as their default plan:

(911|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|98*|[6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.)

I need to edit to add Voip.ms as per my needs above....

Here are some screen captures of my setup...

[IMG]http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/memb ... apture.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/memb ... pture2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/memb ... pture3.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
Shaf wrote: Any number that starts with say #1xxxxxx should go through Voip.ms (for those that are not free from FPL
Just add this anywhere in your dialplan:

<#1,:>x.<:@gw1>

The comma adds a second dialtone after #1, and is not necessary if you don't want it. The #1 will be stripped before sending the number to voip.ms.

EDIT: BTW, your screenshots don't show up for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
nabeel wrote: The calls do not go through the Line 1 SIP account, they are sent to the gateway mentioned under GW1 directly. It's essentially a call with no SIP registration - however, since there is no DID, registration is not necessary.
So technically, I can have multiple SIP accounts using an SPA3102. However, these accounts can only be used for termination.

That I didn't know. I just use the SPA3102 as an FXO

BTW: I don't see the screen shots either.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thank you Nabeel

Is this dial plan ok?

(911|416[2-9]xxxxxxS0|647[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]xx.<:@gw1>|<#1,:>x.<:@gw1>)

This is what I want it to do:

911 to go through FPL
Any 416 # to go through FPL
Any 647 # to go through FPL
Any number that starts with 1 to to through FPL
Any number that starts with 011 to go through Voip.ms
Any number that starts with #1 to go through Voip.ms

Is the syntax all correct?

The screen shots show up fine for me (hosted on RFD photo-album)....

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/memb ... apture.jpg

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/memb ... pture2.jpg

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/memb ... pture3.jpg

Where have you been all this time Nabeel? I have been hoping for someone like to assist!!! You have definitely made my day!!! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1048 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton
Shaf wrote: (911|416[2-9]xxxxxxS0|647[2-9]xxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]xx.<:@gw1>|<#1,:>x.<:@gw1>)
Looks correct to me.
Where have you been all this time Nabeel? I have been hoping for someone like to assist!!! You have definitely made my day!!! :)
LOL, didn't see this thread until you posted to the "Ask me about VoIP" thread, which I subscribe to. I know this stuff because I sell VoIP equipment.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
nabeel wrote: Looks correct to me.

LOL, didn't see this thread until you posted to the "Ask me about VoIP" thread, which I subscribe to. I know this stuff because I sell VoIP equipment.
Thanks!

As you can tell I am new to Voip...

Did you see the screen shots? Anything you think i might need to change?

More questions...

Is there a way to log a call and trace it to see exactly what happens when you dial? I wanted to try and test the dial plan to see how a call made to 011 or 416 or #1 actually makes it the right way...

I am testing the call fwd features in User 1 tab. When I put the following settings it does nothing and just goes to the FPL voice mail... What am i doing wrong? (numbers edited for privacy...

[IMG]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3435/57166348.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Try calling yourself from a cell phone to your FreePhoneLine number.

IF it still goes to voicemail, you probably have to login to the FreePhoneLine and disable the Do Not Disturb feature.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Gee wrote: Try calling yourself from a cell phone to your FreePhoneLine number.

IF it still goes to voicemail, you probably have to login to the FreePhoneLine and disable the Do Not Disturb feature.
Thanks Gee.

Been trying to call the FPL line from my cell phone and seeting up to forward to my work phone. No dice.

Checked the FPL site and there is no Do Not Disturb feature and the follow me settings are disabled....

Not sure if this helps but also noticed that if i change the Cfwd No Ans Delay: setting from the 30s to say 5s... it still rings for 30s. It appears that nothing on the User 1 tab is taking effect...

EDIT: Tried speed dial settings and these don't work either. I set up my work phone as speed dial 7 and the dial 7#... it just gets a fast busy signal...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)