• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2009 6:53 am
Tags:
None
May 8, 2008
837 posts
17 upvotes

Recommendations on underwater P&S

I'd like to buy a point and shoot in addition to my SLR to take on trips. Because it will be my secondary camera only used when I'm in conditions where I can't use my SLR, I don't want too spend a lot of money but don't want to get something cheap that will break either. $500 is the max but my preference is something in the $200-300. I would like it to be waterproof so I can take in the water as well as use it without problems in wet/humid conditions but also good to use as a regular P&S.

Any recommendations on what kind of camera? I was looking at Olympus or Panasonic ones but there's many out there.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
I have the olympus tough 6000. great in the water but terrible at night, slow autofocus also.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1570 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
There's a Fuji underwater camera on sale (I think) at Best Buy for $200.

That's about as cheap as you're going to get.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
2531 posts
970 upvotes
Vancouver
for your budget... look at the Canon D10 or the new Panasonic.... Either of those two will have way better picture quality than the fuji or the olympus cameras. (but then again they cost a bit more)
You Have No Life If You Can Calculate It Mathematically
May 8, 2008
837 posts
17 upvotes
Stabilo7 wrote: for your budget... look at the Canon D10 or the new Panasonic.... Either of those two will have way better picture quality than the fuji or the olympus cameras. (but then again they cost a bit more)
Thanks, those are the two I'm looking at. Based on the recommendations, reviews and price I'm thinking of going with the Canon.

I was originally looking at getting the Panasonic because my main reason for getting a waterproof camera is not to use it underwater (though I would occasionally) it's to use in wet/humid conditions (e.g. jungle, rainforest) where torrential downpours are quite frequent and random.The Panasonic supposedly takes better pictures day and low light pics....not sure. It's $100 price difference but Panasonic is sleeker and more compact.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2724 posts
37 upvotes
Eastern and NW Ontar…
whatever you buy be sure to post back with your personal review of it
Dell Alienware Aurora R8
Asus ROG 17"
Ipad Air 2

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)