Automotive

*PICS* Got hit by van, got nothing out of it?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2007 5:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!

*PICS* Got hit by van, got nothing out of it?

So yesterday afternoon at about 4:30pm I was headed back home from a day at the beach.

I was going up Leslie, I had just passed Queen, theres like 5 cars ahead, the van at the very front was going slow.

I am riding my ebike (electric bicycle) on the road too, on the left hand side of the road (mind you, this is a one way street and cars are parked on the right.)

So, I passed the 4 cars and just as I am about to pass the 5th and last van at the very front, he makes a left turn without signalling into a drive-way, but hits me instead and I go flying onto the sidewalk.

Somehow when he hit me I guess a part of plastic from the body of my bike punctured his tire cause his tire got flat and there was like a hole in it. So anyways, I am fine with some bruises and scratches, my full faced motorcycle helmet owns, saved me head! w00t.

So anyways, since im riding an ebike, it doesnt need license, registration or insurance. So anyways we called the police to sort this whole ordeal out.

Police arrived 2 hours later, and paramedic came 1 hr after police came.
The police got my side of the story, the other guys side, and a witnesses side.

After doing lots of paper work, and me filling out a statement of what happened, the police officer comes to a conclusion that it was the guys fault and charges him with I forgot what, and gives him some demerit points. I get nothing out of this except possible long-term health effects and a damaged bike that no body shop can repair without charging ridiculous fees since my ebike is like new and like parts for it and repair is uncommon.

Lesson here: ebikes are considered bicycles, and always have right of way over any other vehicle always (thats what the police said to me)

Here is a summary what happened if your too lazy to read:
[IMG]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9018 ... eciyc3.gif[/IMG]

comments?

http://www.rogueelectrics.com/
edit: Added pic of what happened, animated.
edit: here is a before picture of my ebike, I will post an after pic as soon as I can get one.
edit: added link to Markham store that sells ebikes, also added new question: here
edit: added AFTER pics.

BEFORE:
[IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9036 ... idepb8.jpg[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5328/fullsideur7.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/395/si ... ackzo2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1628/sidefrontlu3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2658/topbacknn0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/495/topfrontgc1.jpg[/IMG]
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
67 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2006
1617 posts
21 upvotes
GTA
what the? i always thought if the bike has a motor its considered a motor vehicle. I guess not. Glad you are ok though.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2925 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Your ebike looks alot like a scooter. What's the top speed?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: So yesterday afternoon at about 4:30pm I was headed back home from a day at the beach.

I was going up Leslie, I had just passed Queen, theres like 5 cars ahead, the van at the very front was going slow.

I am riding my ebike (electric bicycle) on the road too, on the left hand side of the road (mind you, this is a one way street and cars are parked on the right.)

So, I passed the 4 cars and just as I am about to pass the 5th and last van at the very front, he makes a left turn without signalling into a drive-way, but hits me instead and I go flying onto the sidewalk.

Somehow when he hit me I guess a part of plastic from the body of my bike punctured his tire cause his tire got flat and there was like a hole in it. So anyways, I am fine with some bruises and scratches, my full faced motorcycle helmet owns, saved me head! w00t.

So anyways, since im riding an ebike, it doesnt need license, registration or insurance. So anyways we called the police to sort this whole ordeal out.

Police arrived 2 hours later, and paramedic came 1 hr after police came.
The police got my side of the story, the other guys side, and a witnesses side.

After doing lots of paper work, and me filling out a statement of what happened, the police officer comes to a conclusion that it was the guys fault and charges him with I forgot what, and gives him some demerit points. I get nothing out of this except possible long-term health effects and a damaged bike that no body shop can repair without charging ridiculous fees since my ebike is like new and like parts for it and repair is uncommon.

Lesson here: ebikes are considered bicycles, and always have right of way over any other vehicle always (thats what the police said to me)

comments?

edit: here is a before picture of my ebike, I will post an after pic as soon as I can get one.

BEFORE:
[IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9036 ... idepb8.jpg[/IMG]
You are going to get a call from his insurance company, they will ask if you were hurt and at that point you would tell them about any injuries/damage to bike, they'll pay.
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1380 posts
22 upvotes
Uh.
You are treated like a pedestrian / Bicyclist.
You sue.

Plain and simple. You sue his insurance company as he was at fault.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1380 posts
22 upvotes
pipolchap wrote: Your ebike looks alot like a scooter. What's the top speed?
That's what i wanna know. That ebike looks snazzy yo.
Sep 4, 2005
847 posts
15 upvotes
Glad to hear you are ok.

Now... lemme get this straight... Your on a bike (could care less if its a pedal, e-bike, or motorize) - you decide to pass vehicles on a one-way street on the left side, guy turns left while you are passing on his left (his bad for not checking or signalling), and you feel you deserve something? How about being happy he was going slow and did not crush you?

The only mistake I think the van driver made was that he did not signal..

I ride a mtn bike all the time. Im also often on the road. I live by one rule. I dont f#8k with any vehicle that is bigger,faster, heavier and has more metal than the bike I am on. That means that I ride defensively and dont assume I have the right of way - ever. That cop would not do much good telling you what rights you have as a e-cyclist if your brains are scattered all over the sidewalk, would he?

Sorry to be harsh, but as an experienced cyclist, it burns me to see some of the stupidity out there with others on bilkes (and ebikes for that matter). Dont assume that everyone sees you, and dont pull stupid moves like passing on the left on a one-way st. - of course Im assuming that there was only one lane here... and that you were not in your own lane. If you were, then his bad!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
3308 posts
181 upvotes
deejayspinz wrote: Glad to hear you are ok.

Now... lemme get this straight... Your on a bike (could care less if its a pedal, e-bike, or motorize) - you decide to pass vehicles on a one-way street on the left side, guy turns left while you are passing on his left (his bad for not checking or signalling), and you feel you deserve something? How about being happy he was going slow and did not crush you?

I ride a mtn bike all the time. Im also often on the road. I live by one rule. I dont f#8k with any vehicle that is bigger,faster, heavier and has more metal than the bike I am on. That means that I ride defensively and dont assume I have the right of way - ever. That cop would not do much good telling you what rights you have as a e-cyclist if your brains are scattered all over the sidewalk, would he?

Sorry to be harsh, but as an experienced cyclist, it burns me to see some of the stupidity out there with others on bilkes (and ebikes for that matter). Dont assume that everyone sees you, and dont pull stupid moves like passing on the left on a one-way st. - of course Im assuming that there was only one lane here... and that you were not in your own lane. If you were, then his bad!
of course he deserves payments if he's injured and his bike crushed. what's the problem here, because he didnt know that people are gonna suddenly rush into his lane without signalling? :confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2448 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton
deejayspinz wrote: Glad to hear you are ok.

sorry bro, you are wrong
as defensively as he could have riden, he couldn't have avoided the wreck, the other dude made a mistake and hit him,

sue and throw a party!!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
It is a one way street. I assume there are 2 lanes and the right lane has parked cars. Is the van on the left lane? When OP was passing cars, was he on the left lane or he invented his own lane? i.e. left of left lane.

Or, there actually has 3 lanes. One lane for parked car and 2 lanes for driving to the same direction. In that case, I have hard time to believe you were riding on the fast lane and other cars were on the slow lane.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
maxgohan wrote: sorry bro, you are wrong
as defensively as he could have riden, he couldn't have avoided the wreck, the other dude made a mistake and hit him,

sue and throw a party!!
If he rode on the right side of the van, it could of been avoided. :D
Apr 15, 2005
773 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
[PHP]bicycles, and always have right of way over any other vehicle always [/PHP]

Wow- sorry this happened to you. If we were in the US, you could sue for mega $$!

Anyway, I didn't know that bicycles always have the right of way....is this true? Don't they have to follow the rules of the road like the rest of the motorists on the road? Motorists pay to be licensed and insured etc., yet a bicyclist can do anything he/she wants, and the car drivers have to yield? Also, do I understand this correctly.....these types of machines don't have any rules applied to them?

?

Hope you get some reimbursement on this. It doesn't seem fair to you at all.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
Glad that your okay

But you shoulda gone under the table with him

Make him pay 5000-10000 and if he doesnt want to pay, call the cops
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1427 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
contact his insurance company. you did get that info right?

by law he has liability insurance and that falls under liability

you may need a lawer but the insurance co will probably just send you a cheque
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
LOL that's hilarious for the van. Imagine if you DON'T file a claim and the insurance company doesn't have to pay a dime! Then his insurance just got fux0red by a bike!