• Feb 28th, 2011 11:08 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 11, 2008
562 posts
1 upvote
T.O.

Pearson Airport Job

Hey, I am looking to get a job at Pearson Airport in toronto and the GTAA website was not much of a help as it is all corporate positions, and the Air Canada website didn't have any postings. I am looking for work as a security guard, groundcrew, maintenance or something along those lines. Thanks in advance for your help.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
SwissPort is always hiring groundcrew. Not sure exactly how to contact them.

WestJet also usually has postings on their website.

CATSA does the pre-board screenings. Not sure if this is what you meant by "security".

Other possible companies to work for at Pearson:

GlobeGround (groundhandling)
CARA (airline catering)

There are many many more.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
25 upvotes
i don't think GTAA offers jobs directly, but they give contracts to companies that offer the services at airports. The only one i can think of is Hurley Corporation. So your best bet would be to use a Job search to find these contracted companies that have openings.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I'd work there part-time to get cheaper flights :D
"Our lives are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
Apr 11, 2008
562 posts
1 upvote
T.O.
Thank you for the info
Feb 20, 2007
351 posts
9 upvotes
shawn99 wrote: I'd work there part-time to get cheaper flights :D

Work at airline probably get you cheaper flight, not at the airport.

Airport is big and has loads of security requirement, why really bother working in Timmy at the airport working through all the security hassle when you can work in other timmy. That why the airport authority themselves hardly post any job. You can try to work as a construction person since they are building a lot of stuff continuously (since GTAA is a non-profit organization).
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1347 posts
6 upvotes
I personally worked at ATS last summer. Overall a great experience, just had some horrible co-workers, but u get those everywhere. AC is a good place to work, but they fire you after 3 months if you dont "stand out". Working on ramp is great, changing conditions make everyday different, and u get to see hot flight attendents and talk to them too. Bag room is boring as hell, and cabin is just too rushed.

I personally would like to try handlex this year, or try to get a job indoors, in the actual airport.

anyone know how to get a job inside?
Sep 28, 2007
18 posts
So you worked on ramp? I was just reading some description of the job and said must be able to lift 70lbs? did you do any heavy lifting while working there?
thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
radvinb wrote: So you worked on ramp? I was just reading some description of the job and said must be able to lift 70lbs? did you do any heavy lifting while working there?
thanks

Working baggage on the ramp is quite physically taxing. I have helped loading bags a few times and it hurt! If you are in the cargo hold of anything but the really huge planes, you can't stand upright, so you have to kneel, crawl, or hunch over, so your back and knees get sore. The guys seem to get used to it though and there's something really cool about being out on the ramp with all the action around you.
Apr 11, 2008
562 posts
1 upvote
T.O.
Hey guy's I have sent in my resume via email to Handlex, Swissport and ServisAir last Friday. I am also wanting to apply to Garda for security. I know sending in resume's via email is not the best choice, so I was thinking of heading down to Pearson to apply in person. Anyone who actually worked there: how did you apply? any other suggestions for working at the airport? any other companies that handle ground operations?
Apr 11, 2008
562 posts
1 upvote
T.O.
also should i have mentioned I am in university and only working for the summer? someone told me they will not hire me if i say this
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
smolek wrote: Hey guy's I have sent in my resume via email to Handlex, Swissport and ServisAir last Friday. I am also wanting to apply to Garda for security. I know sending in resume's via email is not the best choice, so I was thinking of heading down to Pearson to apply in person. Anyone who actually worked there: how did you apply? any other suggestions for working at the airport? any other companies that handle ground operations?

It will be hard to find anyone in person at the airport. Many of the main offices are offsite, and others are Airside (past security/restricted area). The best way to get in is to know someone. I know Swissport is usually pretty desperate. I'm not sure about the summer thing. It usually takes up to three months to get full security clearance, but you can start working right away with temporary clearance. I guess it depends on how desperate they are at the time you apply. I got my former job there by applying online (with an airline). They certainly wouldn't have hired me just for the summer though.

You have to keep in mind that, though for most of the tourism industry, summer is the busy time, that is not the case for most of the airline industry. Summer is actually quiet compared to the madness that is December!!
Jan 1, 2007
384 posts
62 upvotes
Squiggles wrote: You have to keep in mind that, though for most of the tourism industry, summer is the busy time, that is not the case for most of the airline industry. Summer is actually quiet compared to the madness that is December!!
As someone who works for Handlex, summer is our busy time. There are more hours to go around and the company hires extra people as the flights to Europe start up again and the seasonal contracts we have come back for the summer.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
industry_killer wrote: As someone who works for Handlex, summer is our busy time. There are more hours to go around and the company hires extra people as the flights to Europe start up again and the seasonal contracts we have come back for the summer.

Good to know. I can only speak from the point of view of the airline I worked for, and the baggage company we used (SwissPort).

Can you give our friend here a phone number to contact someone relevant at Handlex?
Jan 1, 2007
384 posts
62 upvotes
Squiggles wrote: Good to know. I can only speak from the point of view of the airline I worked for, and the baggage company we used (SwissPort).

Can you give our friend here a phone number to contact someone relevant at Handlex?
The Handlex human resources office is not airside and accepts resumes. It is in T3 behind the Westjet counters.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1347 posts
6 upvotes
industry_killer wrote: The Handlex human resources office is not airside and accepts resumes. It is in T3 behind the Westjet counters.

oh i never knew that, i thought it was just the customer service station or something. i go hand in my resume tomolo...
good thing i know exactly where it is
Feb 27, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
Squiggles wrote: SwissPort is always hiring groundcrew. Not sure exactly how to contact them.

WestJet also usually has postings on their website.

CATSA does the pre-board screenings. Not sure if this is what you meant by "security".

Other possible companies to work for at Pearson:

GlobeGround (groundhandling)
CARA (airline catering)

There are many many more.

how do u find the list of the companies that work for pearson?

thank you
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
Pirtpal wrote: how do u find the list of the companies that work for pearson?

thank you

I think I already gave you one in the post you quoted.....

There are hundreds of companies that do business at Pearson, if you are looking for a comprehensive list, you won't find one.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to work as a screener for CATSA, you have to apply for a job through a company called GARDA.