-Sandisk 16GB Extreme III SD Card ($200) $100

And also paid no tax.

Good Deal?
33 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Warranty is a rip off. No reason why you need a 4 year plan.

HDMI cable is probably decent, though Monoprice maybe a few dollars cheaper.

SD card was $80 a few months ago.
Sep 26, 2007
397 posts
70 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Warranty is a rip off. No reason why you need a 4 year plan.

There was a $30 difference in 3-4 warranty I dont have to pay for shipping there. And sensor cleanings costs $40 a year on average the warranty covers it. Yeah HDMI cable was decent but I was like I'd rather pay the same price/$5 more and not wait for shipping.

Problem is if I return the warranty I wont get the bag ($110) for free and the hdmi cable (no biggy). So basically I am still going to need a bag that of size.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Warranty is indeed a rip off.
How many times do you have to send in your camera to get it "professionally cleaned"?

You're going to upgrade sooner or later.

Clean it yourself. It's not hard, and it gets the job done.

Like you said, you don't have to wait for shipping.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2800 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Warranty is a rip off. No reason why you need a 4 year plan.

Warranty is definitely a rip off from Futureshop.
Since Nikon is 2 years on bodies and 5 years on lenses.
You've paid $240 for 2 additional years and -1 year on the lens.
Return the warranty.

If its a package deal, return everything, proceed to nearest Vistek/Henrys.

Pricematch Aden Camera for body. $1199.99
If you get from Henrys, get their additional 3 year warranty on body ONLY. Not the lens. $169.99
Not sure if Vistek will let you buy it on just the body when you buy a kit.
Or if possible, get them to match Futureshop at $1160.

SD Card, HDMI cable, bag are meh.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
kukkudo wrote: There was a $30 difference in 3-4 warranty I dont have to pay for shipping there. And sensor cleanings costs $40 a year on average the warranty covers it. Yeah HDMI cable was decent but I was like I'd rather pay the same price/$5 more and not wait for shipping.

Problem is if I return the warranty I wont get the bag ($110) for free and the hdmi cable (no biggy). So basically I am still going to need a bag that of size.
The warranty could be 20 years long, its still a rip off. Nikon already offers an excellent 2 year warranty. Chances are if something is going to break, notwithstanding the shutter wearing out, its going to happen during that time. Heck, D1s are still kicking today.

Professional cleaning is BS. An air duster is necessary for lenses anyways and costs $15. It takes all of 2 minutes to give it a cleaning.

The bag is decent, thought I would probably buy something "nicer" such as the Crumpler Million Dollar home.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2800 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
As far as I know, warranties don't cover cleanings.
Not sure what that FS rep told you.
I doubt they would send it to Nikon to clean (which is the only place it should go). Probably just a guy in the back with a can of air.
Generally warranties are a big disappointment cause stuff usually breaks during the manufacturers warranty length.
I guess it really depends on if you are rich or not. Stuff does randomly break though.
I had my Canon camera's motherboard crap out 1.5 years after I bought it.
I babied that thing too. Was like $300 to repair. F- me I'd still have it if I just bought the warranty back then.
Sep 26, 2007
397 posts
70 upvotes
I got the bag and hdmi basically free so arent I actually paying $120-$140 for the warranty?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
kukkudo wrote: I got the bag and hdmi basically free so arent I actually paying $120-$140 for the warranty?
Sure, you could look at it that way. Heres another: $140 is half an SB600.
Sep 26, 2007
397 posts
70 upvotes
Ah sh** this is getting confusing. I gotta check tomorrow the cost on that bag and if futureshop's warranty covers the sensor cleanings. But even if I got the bag for like $70-$80 (cost) then add another $10 for the hdmi cable from mono. Isn't kinda better to pay then $150 more for the warranty?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Drop the warranty. You don't need it.

That's mostly everyone's 2c put together.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
kukkudo wrote: Ah sh** this is getting confusing. I gotta check tomorrow the cost on that bag and if futureshop's warranty covers the sensor cleanings. But even if I got the bag for like $70-$80 (cost) then add another $10 for the hdmi cable from mono. Isn't kinda better to pay then $150 more for the warranty?
If the warranty costs more than $0.00 tax in, out the door, you are paying too much. ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2800 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
The Futureshop warranty specifically isn't a good deal cause you are getting f-ed on time.
You gain very little by having it.
The actual cost on that bag is probably like 60-70$.
That SD Card is probably like 70 bucks tops. With the volume that FS does, they probably get crazy deals on them.

Doesn't matter how much "free" stuff you are getting. If anything, those bags were provided free to Futureshop because of the volume they do. IE: Order 5k bags, we throw in 500.
Same with the cards.

Other retailers do this all the time. Except they actually include it free as opposed to make it look like you are getting a deal.
Check out Aden's website. Some of the camera kits come with like a bag or something.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
The SD card is an "extreme" rip off imho. You can get SDHC without the "extreme" written on it for less then 100 bucks if you shop around for it.

Overall I agree with the other people here most likely anything that you break will break before even a 1 year warranty runs out. Honestly, how many times do you think this camera will break? Considering replacing a shutter (the most likely part to fail after the warranty) is about the cost of your warranty it doesn't make that much sense does it? If you expect it to break 2 3 times during the extended warranty then maybe. But if it does I think you'd rather sell it and buy another camera :)

As for sensor cleaning most people ends up not sending them in. You can pick up all the supply you need for a lot less than the warranty cost. People have had issues with sending in for cleaning where it comes back worse then before or something broke during either the service or shipping.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
OP, Best Buy has that SD card on sale regularly for $79.99... they do it once every couple of months... I bought mine back in July and I've seen it go on sale for that same price for no fewer then twice since then ;)
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
gotak wrote: The SD card is an "extreme" rip off imho. You can get SDHC without the "extreme" written on it for less then 100 bucks if you shop around for it.
Naaa. Nothing out there can keep up with the 22-25MB/s write of the D90.
Feb 17, 2002
970 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
Heh, "meh" indeed.

Got mine from McBain in Southgate last week for $948 for the D90 body.

Memory Express has the 4G Extreme 30MB/s Sandisk cards for $70, which McBain matched. I got two of them... I should've picked up two 8G instead, but that's ok.. not a big deal.

Also got the 35mm f1.8 for $260.

You don't need a warranty - Nikon's excellent 2yr is all you want. I sent my D70s in for warranty because the mirror kept locking up every 20-30 shots. Fixed and it's been flawless since.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Not sure if it comes around in Canada, but in the states, Sandisk has crazy rebates every quarter or so..

Earlier in the year I picked up 3x4GB Extreme III for $15 after MIR. Yes $5 a pop... after MIR...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera ... =6007-9597

I didn't really care about the speed, so I've replaced my 4GB Extreme III with a 16GB Lexar Platnium II that I got last month for $23 USD.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
agree with all others here....

i usually by the PSP on certain items, on my D90...no way in hell...waste of money...

i have had issues with my D90 to and had a lens and camera serviced by Nikon....

FS is ripping people off given Nikon's warranty is stellar.

return the PSP...you can do so and should.