Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

LCD/Plasma Boxing Day Deals 2009

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2010 9:51 am
Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2008
45 posts
11 upvotes
I don't have time to skim through every single page. My apologies folks, but, what is the best available 40"-42" 1080p out there right now?
Mar 30, 2009
995 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
LG 42LH40. 42" LCD, 2009 model. Phenomenal TV and don't let anyone else tell you that LG sucks and that you should go with Samsung or Sony. Far too many people are hung on these 2 brands and forget about others.

I strongly recommend having a look at it.
Nov 9, 2007
75 posts
Phew! Got it!

During lots of research and deliberation, my wife handed me the London Drugs flyer last night at about 7:30. They had a 42" Panasonic Plasma (TC-P42S1) on sale for $897.00 Cdn, and after some immediate research, found it to be a great TV and a great price, so I phoned two local stores (at their closing time) and they were all sold out. Damn! So I phoned first thing this morning to see if they could bring one in from another store. Nope, all gone.

But the guy said: "Wait a minute, I'll be right back." He returned and said "This is your lucky day - we were holding one here for a guy who has now changed his mind, so it's yours if you want it." While I was clarifying a few of the differences between it and the G series, one of the other sales guys asked him if I was going to take it, because he had another guy on the phone right then asking for one! "YES!" I said, "I'll take it!"

Wow, that was close.

It's all set up now with a new HD box and looks great.

Thanks so much to all those who offered replies to my previous questions. When one doesn't live & breathe this stuff, it can be overwhelming.
Nov 27, 2005
130 posts
26 upvotes
Will Best Buy price match the Sharp Aquos on sale at Futureshop? Trying to decide if I should cancel my Leons order.
Jan 7, 2007
55 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough
Hi everyone,

I purchased this TV on boxing day but because I have new furniture coming as well, I don't think that I'll have enough space for such a large TV. Selling for $742 ($55 shipping fee, tax, environmental fees). I'll be making an official sales thread tomorrow, but PM me tonight if you are interested. Thanks.

-Frank
Dec 27, 2009
38 posts
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

I've purchased a tv from Sears.ca on the 25th.
I was wondering if I could still claim the air miles (5X air miles deal) even though I already made the purchase. I saw someone post a deal about Air miles but I can't seem to find it.

thanks
:-)
Dec 4, 2009
78 posts
5 upvotes
About the Sears (and others like Dell) Airmiles... You must do the purchase via the Airmiles site in order to get the miles... As I understand it, if you phone them after the fact, they will tell you nicely to get lost.

Link: http://www.airmilesshops.ca/

Edit: I also just learned about this program... I bought a dishwasher at Sears for $530 plus taxes... Lost out on at least 26 miles... (and maybe 5x that!).
Dec 22, 2009
78 posts
mikeydavison wrote: Did any of you guys grab the 55" Toshiba from Best Buy? If so, has your shipped? When I bought mine the site said there were 200+ left but my order shows "out of stock". Anyone else in the same boat?
I bought this tv and i got an email saying it has shipped and i can expect it january 6th
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
steeldoor wrote: Phew! Got it!

During lots of research and deliberation, my wife handed me the London Drugs flyer last night at about 7:30. They had a 42" Panasonic Plasma (TC-P42S1) on sale for $897.00 Cdn, and after some immediate research, found it to be a great TV and a great price, so I phoned two local stores (at their closing time) and they were all sold out. Damn! So I phoned first thing this morning to see if they could bring one in from another store. Nope, all gone.

But the guy said: "Wait a minute, I'll be right back." He returned and said "This is your lucky day - we were holding one here for a guy who has now changed his mind, so it's yours if you want it." While I was clarifying a few of the differences between it and the G series, one of the other sales guys asked him if I was going to take it, because he had another guy on the phone right then asking for one! "YES!" I said, "I'll take it!"

Wow, that was close.

Thanks so much to all those who offered replies to my previous questions. When one doesn't live & breathe this stuff, it can be overwhelming.
nice score
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
Panasonic TC-P42S1, I bought 2 at $665 U.S. each from Sears.com a few days ago. It should be ready for pickup 7 to 10 days from now. I will keep one and get a refund for the other as I bought a Sony 46" instead. Sears.com now has them at $799 U.S. each.

I also bought 2 Tech Craft TV stands at $45 U.S. each from Sears.com which I will have to get a refund for as well. Excellent price and fits up to 48" (maybe 50") TV. I found 2 better ones at RCSS since I will be putting them in a corner and I don't have room for a rectangular 48" width stand.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... e=View+All

PM me if anybody is interested.

Speed

steeldoor wrote: Phew! Got it!

Wow, that was close.

Dec 24, 2004
596 posts
113 upvotes
Windsor
mikeydavison wrote: Did any of you guys grab the 55" Toshiba from Best Buy? If so, has your shipped? When I bought mine the site said there were 200+ left but my order shows "out of stock". Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm having the exact same issue. On the verge of canceling the order.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
It really depends on what you want to pay and whether you want LCD or plasma. IMO, the 42" panny S series plasma is a very good TV, esp if you can get a good deal on it.

Audacious416 wrote: What is the best 40-42" 1080p 120hz out there?
Jan 5, 2008
67 posts
Neil wrote: If you're seeing any IR at all, my guess is you have your contrast/brightness settings way too high. Once calibrated, most plasma's shouldn't really show evident IR except under really extreme situations.

Most TV's built-in modes are way over bright, by a long shot actually. If you have it professionally calibrated or use one of the calibration discs, you'll end up with a picture that at first you might think is too dim. But later if you go back and compare, you'll realize the dimmer is picture is far more realistic and pleasant.
I have turned the brightness and contrast way down for now. I'm just below 50. I read to keep these low at first to prevent IR, but I'm still seeing a bit. Not bad though as I said. I agree with what you're saying. They had an example of a calibrated TV at Bestbuy. They probably just cranked the contrast and brightness on the one that was "right out of the box" and calibrated the other one. The "calibrated" one looked way better.

I was going to get that Digital Video essentials off Amazon. Do you just calibrate with the normal picture settings or do you have to go into the service menu if you use these disks? I understand that entering the service menu could void your warranty
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pingman wrote: I have turned the brightness and contrast way down for now. I'm just below 50. I read to keep these low at first to prevent IR, but I'm still seeing a bit. Not bad though as I said. I agree with what you're saying. They had an example of a calibrated TV at Bestbuy. They probably just cranked the contrast and brightness on the one that was "right out of the box" and calibrated the other one. The "calibrated" one looked way better.

I was going to get that Digital Video essentials off Amazon. Do you just calibrate with the normal picture settings or do you have to go into the service menu if you use these disks? I understand that entering the service menu could void your warranty
usually you can get pretty darn close just using the normal settings available. the discs usually include some test patterns so that you could find tune it even more in the service menu, but it's not necessary to get an acceptable picture on most TV's. this is why it's good to read the reviews, some tv's can get almost exactly to the right specs without entering the service menu, some others are still noticeably off no matter what. the samsung 5series should get pretty close. here's something to try out until you get the discs to do your own calibrations:
http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/ ... ation.html
Jul 28, 2003
111 posts
15 upvotes
Just received the 32" Sony I ordered online on Christmas Eve; was a gift for our Grandmother and was shipped to our house via Canada Post. Totally painless process from start to finish!!! :D
Nov 20, 2008
460 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
redeagle wrote: LG 42LH40. 42" LCD, 2009 model. Phenomenal TV and don't let anyone else tell you that LG sucks and that you should go with Samsung or Sony. Far too many people are hung on these 2 brands and forget about others.

I strongly recommend having a look at it.
Seems like a nice TV. Lots of features and good reviews as well. Where did you get your's?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)